grip mod- supporting the palm shelf

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
william

Re: grip mod- supporting the palm shelf

Post by william »

"This is just a temporary thing to understand where I need support. I will try your suggestion.
Have you passed the equipment test in official matches with that leather strap?"

In reverse order.
_No trouble ever at equipment check (it's why I have my trigger set at about 525g - so there is never a doubt). What in the world do you think might be a problem with my grip?

_The materials you use are so unstable as to be of no use at all. Don't worry about harming the finish on your grip. Attach something to it properly, and if it's wrong pull it off. If you have to scrape it off, do that. If you have to pry it off, pry it off. If you have to grind it off because you used some kind of putty, then grind it off. You will learn quickly enough if you pay attention. And - did I say this? - don't worry about harming the finish or other meaningless bullshit. These pistols are working tools, not Concours d'Elegance automobiles!
dontshootcritters

Post by dontshootcritters »

In reply to the reply from William.. Im new this pistol gig and am more than happy to be accused of being a pretty boy shooter...I really want my pistol to look good. I purchased a new (off the shelf grip) for my Morini CM 200 and promptly sanded off the clear coat,hand it stained and lacquered..It now looks the business and I'm well pleased!
So I'm all ready for world a/p domination, the cover of the ISSF magazine etc and lots of gear sponsorship deals while holding my pistol aloft...
Does the grip fit..??...Hell NO..Its bloody aweful! I added some Kwikwood which I must say is a FANTASTIC!!
But I've had to wrasp it some more making a hash of the beautifully stained walnut grip. In fact I sanded it so much I went through the wood into the area for the electronics...some people are SO STUPID!!..So...a little more filler and it finally does fit my hand perfectly. Ok it doesn't look the part so much anymore BUT it will function as it's meant to!
If the grip doesn't fit there's no way a decent score can be achieved.
Thanks for reading my rant and I trust it provided a few minutes of entertainment.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm
Hi and thanks.

This is just a temporary thing to understand where I need support. I will try your suggestion.
Have you passed the equipment test in official matches with that leather strap?
Are you certain that the grip needs modification that much? Are we certain you are not using a grip that is different than your palm size?
10 M Air pistol : Walther LP 500 Basic | Earlier Hammerli AP 20 Pro.
Newbie shooting questions : http://targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=63530
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:40 am
emre-nur wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 4:25 pm
Hi and thanks.

This is just a temporary thing to understand where I need support. I will try your suggestion.
Have you passed the equipment test in official matches with that leather strap?
Are you certain that the grip needs modification that much? Are we certain you are not using a grip that is different than your palm size?
Actually the German seller asked for a drawing of my hand and sent a middle size one. Not sure how honest they were.

As a matter of fact, I am not sure if I need a a smaller grip, my fingers cover the grip quite well. A smaller one could be too much grip. I have a rather slim hand. But still, I am a newbie and dont know much, maybe I do need another size. Then, too late !

Perhaps, the best would be to drive 3 hours to Germany and have one made by Rink.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

emre-nur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 am Perhaps, the best would be to drive 3 hours to Germany and have one made by Rink.
That is precisely the right choice. Unlike unlucky me - you can do those. Please do those.
Also it would help if you can post pic of your hand gripping the grip - in various poses.
I did a lot of "re-search" in this case .. may be I can tell you what is what.
And even if I can not - or I am dead wrong.. a lot of people here can help you out!
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

nmondal wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:39 am
emre-nur wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 9:57 am Perhaps, the best would be to drive 3 hours to Germany and have one made by Rink.
That is precisely the right choice. Unlike unlucky me - you can do those. Please do those.
Also it would help if you can post pic of your hand gripping the grip - in various poses.
I did a lot of "re-search" in this case .. may be I can tell you what is what.
And even if I can not - or I am dead wrong.. a lot of people here can help you out!
Yeah, the best choice— the expensive choice.

İt is around 350 Euros. So, I need a a respite after LP500. Definitely not in 2021. For now, I will go with Williams's leather straps. It seems descent and I have noticed many olympic shooters have similar cushioning.
nmondal

Post by nmondal »

After all these discussion.. I just remove those tapes from my grip.
And.. turns out.. it did not drop my scores. I think the my hand is getting a good grip memory now.
emre-nur

Post by emre-nur »

is this some elastic (at least not rock-hard) material in the grip in an official match?

https://youtu.be/PUU03WPu178?list=PL1CO ... sR8&t=1313
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It looks a lot like standard wood colored epoxy putty, in which case it is not elastic. In the USA, "QuikWood" is a common brand available at hardware & woodworking stores. Lots of people use it for grip modifications. It sticks reasonably well to a lot of grips if you remove the surface oil with alcohol, but it can often be chipped off if you need to start from scratch.
BobGee

Post by BobGee »

J-B Weld KwikWood +1
Rover

Post by Rover »

One more little item:

I had to laugh when I just remembered sitting on a curb at the USMA at West Point, grinding away on my grip with the concrete because my gun wouldn't fit in the box.
uhfradarwill

Post by uhfradarwill »

Rover wrote: Mon Jul 26, 2021 11:49 pm One more little item:

I had to laugh when I just remembered sitting on a curb at the USMA at West Point, grinding away on my grip with the concrete because my gun wouldn't fit in the box.
They should section off that part of the walkway to preserve it for future generations to behold.
Will