What to get for a cheap newbie?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Re: What to get for a cheap newbie?

Post by Gwhite »

The cocking action of the FAS 6004 and the Air Venturi V10 are very similar to the Beeman. If you don't like the way the Beeman cocks, you should probably see if you can try one of the others before you buy one. I have a FAS, and don't find it too difficult to cock while staying in position.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Gwhite wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 11:57 am The cocking action of the FAS 6004 and the Air Venturi V10 are very similar to the Beeman. If you don't like the way the Beeman cocks, you should probably see if you can try one of the others before you buy one. I have a FAS, and don't find it too difficult to cock while staying in position.
Given that Air Venturi is now marketing the 46M at a $600 price point it would seem that there could be a market for FWB to revive it's ssp. I hope so.
"No mud; no Lotus."-- Thich Nhat Hanh
Rover

Post by Rover »

Find a used Pardini K58. Pay the price. Stop whining.
william

Post by william »

I'm staying away from this thread except to quote a couple of guys much wiser than I. Re: $300 air pistols, "It's the cheapskate who spends the most in the end."
UnGe

Post by UnGe »

What [pragmatic] people think about Diana Airbug? Is is too bad?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

UnGe wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 8:12 pm What [pragmatic] people think about Diana Airbug? Is is too bad?
I have to say informal target/plinker pistols are extremely fun and addictive, but match air pistols are a cut above. If you want the best in precision and ergonomics, you’ll need to spend the extra money.
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

B Lafferty wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 pmGiven that Air Venturi is now marketing the 46M at a $600 price point it would seem that there could be a market for FWB to revive it's ssp. I hope so.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's never going to happen. Manufacturing a FWB 103 in 2021, will cost more than $2 k…

They will have to sell like hot cakes for FWB to revive their legendary ssp’s. Your best bet will be buying any used 100/102/103’s that are still available in the market.
Rover

Post by Rover »

Can we agree that your choice must be a SSP (or FWB65) so you don't need to buy pricy extras and maintenance? If so, that narrows things down a lot.

Unless you stumble upon a German super deal, your choices are: a Russian agricultural implement or the Italian artistry of the Pardini K58.

Take it from there.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

kevinweiho wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 am
B Lafferty wrote: Thu Mar 04, 2021 3:42 pmGiven that Air Venturi is now marketing the 46M at a $600 price point it would seem that there could be a market for FWB to revive it's ssp. I hope so.
Sorry to burst your bubble, but that's never going to happen. Manufacturing a FWB 103 in 2021, will cost more than $2 k…

They will have to sell like hot cakes for FWB to revive their legendary ssp’s. Your best bet will be buying any used 100/102/103’s that are still available in the market.
Presumably, they have all the equipment needed for manufacture stored away. So, please explain the basis for their cost and how much that would be. From there we can factor in wholesale markup and then markup for online retail trade. Not necessarily doubting your $2K figure. Just want to parse it out.
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 8:08 am Can we agree that your choice must be a SSP (or FWB65) so you don't need to buy pricy extras and maintenance? If so, that narrows things down a lot.

Unless you stumble upon a German super deal, your choices are: a Russian agricultural implement or the Italian artistry of the Pardini K58.

Take it from there.
There's much to be said for the usefulness of a 46M as an agricultural implement. The extended pumping arm would be good for creating a furrow for planting in my herb garden in another few months......
spektr

Post by spektr »

[/quote]
Presumably, they have all the equipment needed for manufacture stored away. So, please explain the basis for their cost and how much that would be. From there we can factor in wholesale markup and then markup for online retail trade. Not necessarily doubting your $2K figure. Just want to parse it out.
[/quote]

The money is in the enterprise distributed overhead. People cost a lot of money. By the time you apportion factory overhead
and value engineer the parts to make them again on todays equipment, recreate tools, packaging and most of all marketing, its really expensive.
There is also the problem with inertia, the marketing dollars necessary to roll the gun out and compete against the PCP guns out there will be quite high. A new offering must make margin, and a boutique item is really hard to make work, unless you are a small concern with much smaller distributed overhead costs.

IF, and this is a big if, there were a path forward to bringing them back, it would be thru licensing.
If the production license for the pistol was available, a smaller nimble organization could bring it in at the desired pricepoint,
but its a tall ask to do so profitably. Greg Bond over at Bond Arms is a friend of mine. I understand what it took to get to a solid production pace there, and it is miraculous what they did in such a small facility. Bond Arms was created after he retired/downsized out of General Dynamics as a solid Manufacturing Engineer, it took him years to do it. It takes the right mix of skills and a market willing to buy your product to win the game.... If everything is there, you might be able to bring it back, the annual sales volume will tell you the story
marky-d

Post by marky-d »

Since we're not strictly talking high end here, what are people's thoughts about the Beeman P2/Weihrauch HW75? I have the P1 (spring-piston) version, and I don't think I would want to shoot 10m with it, but the SSPs seem like they would do better.

And for that matter, there's the Sig Super Target Air, which looks like a similar design, but I haven't seen one in person. Anyone shot one?

I think all these run into the $400-600 range though.

marky-d
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

B Lafferty wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 11:07 am
kevinweiho wrote: Fri Mar 05, 2021 3:25 am

I have no doubt they still have the machinery and capability to manufacture any discontinued models. I had mentioned in an older post when the FWB 103 was sold in the 90’s, it’s retail value was in the ballpark of around $1.400... Well, inflation doesn't help, coupled with the relentless printing of the fiat dollar by the Fed, makes practically everything a whole lot more expensive these days, especially high end precision made items from abroad...
william

Post by william »

"Well, inflation doesn't help, coupled with the relentless printing of the fiat dollar by the Fed, makes practically everything a whole lot more expensive these days, especially high end precision made items from abroad..."

So the answer is to bring back the 103 and price it in Bitcoin (or limited edition Tom Brady trading cards), eh?
kevinweiho

Post by kevinweiho »

william wrote: Sat Mar 06, 2021 8:30 amSo the answer is to bring back the 103 and price it in Bitcoin (or limited edition Tom Brady trading cards), eh?
Nah, Bitcoin is a digital tulip and dust mites will chomp on Brady... Gold all the way for me!
atomicgale
Location: Copperhill Tennessee USA (a registered CERCLA superfund site)

Post by atomicgale »

Check this out! Talk about an agricultural tool . . . .
LINK: https://www.ebay.com/itm/Warrior-The-Ac ... SwOA5fvAIn
Comes with box & the grips have never been sanded or seen putty!
Only $1,295!!!

UnGe, looks like you'll have to get out your Credit Card . . . .
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Rover

Post by Rover »

Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

There's a 65 on GunBroker for $230 at the moment, but it will undoubtedly get bid up a good bit above that:
https://www.gunbroker.com/Item/894400008
B Lafferty

Post by B Lafferty »

Just wondering.....is there a national association for 10 meter blow gun shooters? Could be a cost effective alternative. No?