Patched vs. two eyes

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
seamaster

Re: Patched vs. two eyes

Post by seamaster »

Doug, I am sure those gold guys have more than perfect vision. And if some one were to ask them why no occluder, they would probably acquiesce, that is no big deal. Because they just can. There might be some serendipitous value in it. I would not calling them intrinsically, one eye dicks.
40xguy

Post by 40xguy »

Here is an EXCELLENT list of eye-shooting articles by a Dr. Wong.
If you're truly interested in this topic, then read ALL these articles.
Wong is an eye doctor and a very good shooter so he understands the issues.
Wish you all the best.
https://starreloaders.com/edhall/nwongarts.html
Hammer to shape, file to fit, paint to match...
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

Thanks. There we go, occlude or not occlude.
rkittine

Post by rkittine »

I think I will try a test from my Ransom rest. Set up the gun and shoot with various eyes and eye combinations and see what happens. At my age I have a muscle issue and although cataract surgery brought my sight back to 20/20, I have a convergence problem, which requires Prism correction and still need reading glasses. Since I still fly commercially, the FAA does not allow the use of 2 different lenses, one for reading and one for distance, because of depth perception issues, but the optometrist has set prism correction for my shooting.

Bob
rkittine@aol.com
Sag Harbor and Manhattan, New York
WA2YDV
huckleberg

Post by huckleberg »

seamaster wrote: Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:49 pm While you are on a hot streak, you might want to venture to two unobstructed eyes shooting.

Give it a bit more time, you might join the few, the proud, the two eye marines.
Well ... I whipped out a really old set of glasses set for clear focus on large computer screens. They gave me insanely crisp sight alignment and clarity with both eyes open, no occlusion needed! The target was bit too blurry to be a really practical option, but was not double-visioned, and my eyes never tried to pull it into focus. ...

I had to move down my POI/raise my POA to a less "sub" sub-six hold to get a decent group. However, it caused no eye strain, no double vision, and clearly is proof of concept that I can actually shoot both eyes open, front sight focused. I will hit up my Optometrist for lenses that give me a bit more focus on the target while hopefully maintaining that crisp sight view ... no occlusion needed ...
thirdwheel

Post by thirdwheel »

Some very good analysis here, two eyes work if you can get your head to play ball and is well worth giving it a very, very good go. Huck do not change your prescription to give more focus to the target - you really should not be looking at the target just being aware of it, and putting your lovely clear sight picture on an "area". Precision on the area is no where near as important as getting your sights aligned correctly and following through perfectly with the sights still aligned - forget the target.
Seamaster you have correctly discovered that the top girls and boys blink a lot, it refreshes the image to the brain rather than an old image being used, the brain slows down the refresh rate if the image does not seem to have changed much - hence the blink and a new image sent.
If you are not convinced that the eyes help with balance and you need as much vision as possible stand on one leg, close one eye and see how you balance, then close both eyes and see if you can still balance.
Last edited by thirdwheel on Fri Jun 19, 2020 3:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
seamaster

Post by seamaster »

You are as astute as ever.
Cheerio.