3p new barrel - which one? Shilen, Lilja??

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

bshootmore

Re: 3p new barrel - which one? Shilen, Lilja??

Post by bshootmore »

yes Palma prone, sling 800, 900 & 1,000 yards, .22 1200 good practice for prone sling.

A new Vudoo barreled action, $1,800. It's not so much the price today it's what I own and its darn accurate. Sure I'd like to drop $7,000 on a new custom Anschutz but that not in the budget this year.
Can't control the world, just my aim, well most of the time.....
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

Sorry, I was trying to say that a brand new rifle isn't the only choice. Rather than putting a sub-optimal stock onto the Vudoo, would an older 3-P rifle be a better use of your budget. Here in the UK, you can get a 1970s or 1980s Anschutz for under £500. If you are starting out, a second hand rifle can be perfectly good; the difference between a barrel that holds a 12mm group vs one that "only" manages 15mm group is nothing when your hold standing is in the 7-ring.

For Prone-only shooting, the Macmillan would be fine. It was copied from the 1970s Anschutz prone rifle, itself inspired by contemporary US Smallbore patterns. In the 1970s rifles were still issued at the Palma Match.

Will you only be shooting 'scoped, or putting an extension tube onto the Vudoo for aperture sights?
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

My old eyes will be scoped. Back in 2015 Service Rifle scores upped 20% after two years of looking at a black fuzz ball and adding a legal 4x scope. Lesson learned.

I get your point about old Anschutz but two things, one my skill level is pretty good, not a beginner and have won my share of state and national matches up through master level in Silhouette, F-TR, and Lever Action. Not great but at the point where I want the best or near great equipment. I'll try what I have first. Then in 3-4 months Ill try Jr's custom Anschutz which is being built as we speak, it should be completed by then and we will see if it makes a difference ln scores.
1813benny

Post by 1813benny »

bshootmore wrote: Mon Apr 13, 2020 11:14 am yes Palma prone, sling 800, 900 & 1,000 yards, .22 1200 good practice for prone sling.

A new Vudoo barreled action, $1,800. It's not so much the price today it's what I own and its darn accurate. Sure I'd like to drop $7,000 on a new custom Anschutz but that not in the budget this year.
Before I would drop $7k to modify a new Anschutz, I would definitely consider the Walter KK500. Much better ergonomics and I am not aware of a single one that had to be rebarreled before first use. Recently Anschutz has not had a major presence during ISU finals.

Something to consider.
bshootmore

Post by bshootmore »

Too late, order placed. Decided to match triggers with our other Anschutz rifles (air and .22lr) and standardize on 54 actions though this one will be a 5430.
We were impressed with the Anschutz custom smith, Steve, who really knows his stuff.