New unofficial world record in AP

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
cobbs

Re: New unofficial world record in AP

Post by cobbs »

That's a great explanation David. makes sense.
Ramon OP

Post by Ramon OP »

There's nothing unfair or unjust in the system: everybody competes in the same conditions. Some qualify for the "superbowl" final and then have to beat the others under the same pressure.

Any choice made in the type of final will fit some shooters better than others, so the same/similar arguments could be used against the old style finals.

If you look at other olympic and sports events, they also have qualification rounds and then a final where everyone starts in the same conditions. Can you imagine a 100m final where some runners started a few meters ahead?
Ramon
pcw

Post by pcw »

In Biathlon they have just that, but it is a time advantage that they carry from previous races. In the course of a Biathlon weekend the time advantages from previous races is applied to the next race. It is the same for stage races in cycling. There is no reason it couldn't be done in shooting.
j-team

Post by j-team »

Ramon OP wrote: If you look at other olympic and sports events, they also have qualification rounds and then a final where everyone starts in the same conditions. Can you imagine a 100m final where some runners started a few meters ahead?
100m. If they followed our format the runners would have to run 400m races to qualify for the 100m final...
prowling

Post by prowling »

The true measure of sport in the 21st century: ratings.
Sad.
renzo

Post by renzo »

News update: Saurabh's performance at the YOG wasn't (fortunately) a fluke: yesterday he won gold at the WC in Delhi, with a new FWR, surpassing the one which wasn't taken officialey at Buenos Aires four months ago.

My well-wishings to him, and a thought: Maybe this young man (16 y.o.) felt dared to improve on his record?

He won a quota place for Tokio 2020. Who knows.................
dschaller

Post by dschaller »

Personally, I don't have a problem with finals. I think it puts the best shooters (but why not 8 for rapid fire?) all together for a shoulder to shoulder match (not unlike swimming, running, and many other sports). However, the manner in which it was done, I have to agree with John, sucks (to be mild). Rapid Fire finals are the slowest, most boring event I have ever seen (except the older Sport Pistol Finals before the recent change where it could go on forever). The decision to change targets where a 10.9 is a perfect shot is really the most obvious stupidity. It makes the scores impossible to understand (other than one person is higher than another, which is fine for the mass audience that know nothing). It has created an arms race for 3P rifle, as no gun/ammo combination is remotely possible of shooting a perfect score, so now rifles are twice to 3 times the cost of 5 years ago (and still can't shoot anywhere near a perfect score). Since decimal scoring is not directly comparable to integer scoring, why did they not just create new target values as has been done in the past, and make a perfect score a 10, and then provide decimal reductions in score to the lowest value at the chosen distance from center (and why stop at 1.0? Why are there not .7, .5 etc. scores?). For 3P rifle, they should have tested the top shooters rifle/ammo combinations and set the group size of that average as a 10.0, then decimally gone down from that. A 240.0 as the perfect score for a 24 shot finals, or 600.0 for a 60 shot match makes a whole lot more sense that whatever the perfect score is under the current system. Of course, I was not consulted about this, any more than I was about reducing the possible slots at the olympics for every country by removing several unique events and replacing them with a duplicate of existing events that will almost certainly have the same individuals that qualified for the individual events.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

dschaller wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:27 am I think it puts the best shooters (but why not 8 for rapid fire?)
Quite simply it would mean making finals halls wider.

You would need to either increase the targetry to 4 banks of 5 or have 3 people shooting on 2 of the banks and 2 on the other.

3 per bank is unfair as 1 of the 3 will be centred on the middle of the bank while the other 2 will be offset from centre.

With 6 shooters in the final you can have 2 per bank and they will all be slightly offset from centre.
renzo

Post by renzo »

Obviously, I missed the point.

Apparently, no one is interested in commenting an impressive feat accomplished by an adolescent shooting amongst experienced shooters.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

renzo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 12:50 pm Apparently, no one is interested in commenting an impressive feat accomplished by an adolescent shooting amongst experienced shooters.
What do you expect us to say? "Great shoot"? Of course it was a great shoot.

Does anybody know what India's policy is regarding quota places? Does the athlete who won it automatically go or do they have to fight for it with their team mates.
renzo

Post by renzo »

What does it matter how the India team shooters get their appointments?

He competed against other countries' shooters and won.......... period!! I don't care if he's Bindra's cousin!!!

In fact, this thread I started when I saw him shoot an unofficial FWR at the 2018 YOG's with a gold medal, and he's topped that.

I'm not from India nor have any blood relationship with him, simply I'm following his carreer and posting what seemed to me (wrongly) of interest to others in this forum. Unfortunately, Russ got much more attention with his nonsensical attemps at selling his wonder course, so apparently this is the way to go.............................

The day in which we no longer react admiringly when such achievements are accomplished is a sad one.

By the way, if posters want to rant over gone-by events, it's fine by me, but please start their own threads on that subject.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

renzo wrote: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:54 pm What does it matter how the India team shooters get their appointments?

He competed against other countries' shooters and won.......... period!! I don't care if he's Bindra's cousin!!!
I don't think you understood my question.

He won an Olympic Quota Place for India.

I was asking whether India automatically allow the person who won the QP to use it at the Olympics or will he have to fight other members of the Indian team to use it.

It could make a big difference to his future.
renzo

Post by renzo »

My bad!!

I don't know how they manage the quota places.

I assume it is as in the majority of countries: the best shooter at the moment of the Games gets the quota, except they're all more or less at the same level, in which case the "winner" of the quota is awarded the place.

But I wouldn't bet on it.

Anyway, I'll keep following his carreer from afar, he holds much promise.
RS.

Post by RS. »

I watched the final and was amazed by his composure and performance.
renzo

Post by renzo »

News flash: He got another gold in the mixed pistol team event, alongside already well-known team mate Manu Bhaker, who herself won gold at the YOG, WCH and WC last year, 18 years old.........................................................