Grip pressure Air vs Free?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
rmca

Post by rmca »

bruce em wrote:A perfectly aligned platform (gun) can move up down, left or right by an inch and still score a 10 at 50 meters. That movement at the 50 foot target will move you out of the black.
How?

The 10 ring at 50 meters is 5 cm wide (less than 2 inches).
The B11 target at 50 foot (15.24 meters) has a black that's 2 1/4 inches.
DLS

Post by DLS »

I think he's just rounding.

Since 5cm = 1.97 inches calling is 2 inches is good enough.

So that give you the ability (if alignment is kept pure) to move the gun an inch either direction and still score a 10 at distance.

On the closer target the same movement will, maybe, hit the black but will be on the edge or possible even out of the black if other elements come into play.

So I'm guessing the point is that muzzle movement can cause less problem at longer range ... depending on how the movement manifests itself. This is to counter the earlier comment that it will always have a worse effect at a distance.

Am I seeing this right?
rmca

Post by rmca »

DLS wrote: So I'm guessing the point is that muzzle movement can cause less problem at longer range ... depending on how the movement manifests itself.
That's wrong.

It doesn't matter what type of movement you put on the muzzle, it will increase how far away the shot lands with distance. Draw a couple of lines like this, <, and you'll see what i'm on about. The further away you are from the pivot point the bigger the gap between the lines (center of the target and bullet hole).

Now if by chance you can keep the sights aligned and in the aiming area while jumping up and down, you can even shoot a ten. But if you do it's not a shot that you probably can repeat. He all had bad shot executions that turn out a 10 or even an X, but we should know that it was just luck that made it land in the 10 ring and not in the 4 or 5 ring.

The point is that any movement in the gun has as a pivoting point your shoulder, elbow, wrist, or grip, so a inch of movement in the muzzle will put the shot off target at 50 meters (or practically any other distance).

Hope this helps
DLS

Post by DLS »

Actually what you are talking about is true if there is angular deviation of the muzzle.

If there is linear deviation you will have a better score comparing the two targets that are being discussed in this thread. Linear deviation will result in a bullet trajectory parallel to the original line of sight / projected bullet path.

This is the point that was being made, that not ALL muzzle movement will result in a worse result at more distant ranges.

It's somewhat of a moot point, since in the vast majority of cases muzzle deviation will be of the angular nature. But it can be linear, I'm thinking of muzzle deviation I get when shooting standing in the wind as an example.
rmca

Post by rmca »

I see your point.

It can be linear, but in pistol it's called a lucky shot :)

Cheers
DLS

Post by DLS »

GRIN!