Getting no-where fast

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rmca

Post by rmca »

A 232 bar adpter wont screw all the way in a 300 bar tank because its shorter. So you cant even start to fill the cylinder since it doesnt seal at all.

Hope this helps
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

It is essential that you monitor the fill pressure on either the tank or cylinder gauge.
Thanks and don't worry about me monitoring the gauge, I found the first experience a 'bit scary' to be honest, I intend to take the greatest of care. My diver friend who I mentioned earlier assured me that scuba tanks are certainly not a thing to mess around with.

TommyH
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

rmca wrote:A 232 bar adpter wont screw all the way in a 300 bar tank because its shorter. So you cant even start to fill the cylinder since it doesnt seal at all.

Hope this helps
That's not always the case. This adaptor is an example of some of the (IMHO) stupid fittings that are available.
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

A 232 bar adpter wont screw all the way in a 300 bar tank because its shorter. So you cant even start to fill the cylinder since it doesnt seal at all.

Hope this helps
No it isn't foolproof because club tanks are frequently fitted with 300-200 adapters.

http://www.bestfittings.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=199

It is essential that you monitor the pressure while fillning the cylinder.

Rutty
rmca

Post by rmca »

Hi David and Rutty

I wasn't aware that someone made those types of adapter. It completely undermines the safety feature that is the difference in length between the 232 and 300 bar connectors. Completely stupid as you say...

I stand corrected... No matter how safe one tries to make something, there is ALWAYS a way to mess it up...
TommyH

Post by TommyH »

rmca
I stand corrected... No matter how safe one tries to make something, there is ALWAYS a way to mess it up...
The diver I've been referring to during this story works on an oil rig in the north sea, he is professional and of several years experience. When I asked him to give me some advice, he was shocked to find me, a person having no previous knowledge whatsoever of scuba tanks had one, freshly filled in the boot of my car (now in garage), I 'had' no idea of how dangerous they can be until he put me right.

TommyH