trigger pull weight

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
conradin

Post by conradin »

brent375hh wrote:If you have access to a digital scale with check weights and a welding shop, you can make a mighty fine looking stainless set of weights with a nice stainless hanger from the scrap pile of various stales rounds with washers on top ground until they are right at what you need. Bullets of a known weight (X quantity) in a plastic bag with a wire hanger where my prior method.
Thanks I have a GREAT machinist friend maybe he can make me one without paying 75 Euro for a weight that can only weighs 500g.
Spaceball

Post by Spaceball »

Some good info in here on making a trigger check weight.

I have a question on the best way to adjust the trigger.

Do i remove the first stage spring, set the second stage weight to the desired amount. Re-install the first stage spring and then adjust the overall weight?

Is there a better method to do adjust it?

Thanks
plutone

Post by plutone »

Spaceball wrote:Some good info in here on making a trigger check weight.

Do i remove the first stage spring, set the second stage weight to the desired amount. Re-install the first stage spring and then adjust the overall weight?

Thanks
I did in the opposite way, with no need to remove anything.
I wanted 400 g for the first stage and 100 g for the second. I made a weight of 400 g and adjusted the setting screw until the first lever went in touch with the second one (sorry for non technical terms!).
Then I used the 'official' weight (520 g) to set also the second stage.

P.S.: My gun is a Pardini K10. Maybe it is not so easy with every gun, but if you wanted to remove a spring, should also be able to look at the levers!
Piero.

The most dangerous guns are those unloaded
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spaceball wrote:Some good info in here on making a trigger check weight.

Thanks
You can mess the overall setting if you disable one, set a weight then add it back in again. Pragmatically you pull the trigger with your finger so set the 1st stage weight based on the feel you prefer. I prefer something like a 60:40 split 1st to second so about 200g second stage but I have never gauged it to check the actual weights. What you want is a trigger where you have a firm solid stop at the end of the first stage so that you don't think 'am I there yet ?'. I'd also advise keeping well above the 500g weight as triggers change depending on weather conditions, flying and just ordinary use. The last thing you want is your gun failing EC because it crept too low, and you then having to re-set it just before your match.

Rob.
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

If you have more than one or two pistols you expect to be tinkering with, an electronic trigger gauge is a very good investment:

http://www.opticsplanet.com/lyman-elect ... 32248.html

You still want at least a semi-official go/no-go weight to make sure you are OK for competition, but for playing with 1st & 2nd stage weights, and knowing how much margin you have over the legal minimum, a gauge is invaluable. The Lyman one is easy to use, and does averages & statistics.