Bore Care?

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

CR10X

Post by CR10X »

I sorry I will not be shooting any matches for most of this year (including Canton or Perry). I has some really major surgery on my shoulder and have a pretty long recovery process. But I am getting better and I was able to actually hold a gun in one hand and aim at a target for a few seconds last week. It's like learning how to hold and shoot all over again. Maybe I'll get it right this time ;-))

Cecil
john bickar

Post by john bickar »

CR10X wrote:John:

That was from a post on the old bullseye list a long time ago. Not long after shooting with you at Bristol, TN. Back in the days when I could see the iron sights and thought I might be able to learn how to shot one day. I'm still trying to learn how to shoot all 10's. Hope you are doing well.

Cecil
That was back when I was young, and everyone else was old.

Now I'm old, and everyone else is young.

But I always can fall back on the Doc Young motto: "Old age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill"
Allen

cleaning 22 bores

Post by Allen »

Been so long since I posted anything here I forgot my password & the email address that I used back then doesn't exist any longer. Oh well, time to start anew.

Here's a link to a post I made back in October of 2011 on gun talk online (I go by my nickname of Stork there).

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

A little background at that time I was recovering from shoulder surgery & wasn't shooting well to start with, but my shots weren't on call. So I benched my Ruger 2 handed on the bench at 50'. 10 shots before cleaning, 10 shots after cleaning. All shot out of the same box of CCI SV.

Here's a direct link to the photobucket pictures of the targets. If I hadn't shot it myself I would have a hard time believing it.

http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... %20fouled/

Now I've put a lot of different brands through that barrel, which may have contributed to the lead fouling that was there, and I was a firm believer in not cleaning the bore with anything but a patch worm or a long q-tip like my LSP barrels.
Isabel1130

Re: cleaning 22 bores

Post by Isabel1130 »

Allen wrote:Been so long since I posted anything here I forgot my password & the email address that I used back then doesn't exist any longer. Oh well, time to start anew.

Here's a link to a post I made back in October of 2011 on gun talk online (I go by my nickname of Stork there).

http://www.guntalk-online.com/forum/vie ... highlight=

A little background at that time I was recovering from shoulder surgery & wasn't shooting well to start with, but my shots weren't on call. So I benched my Ruger 2 handed on the bench at 50'. 10 shots before cleaning, 10 shots after cleaning. All shot out of the same box of CCI SV.

Here's a direct link to the photobucket pictures of the targets. If I hadn't shot it myself I would have a hard time believing it.

http://s838.photobucket.com/albums/zz30 ... %20fouled/

Now I've put a lot of different brands through that barrel, which may have contributed to the lead fouling that was there, and I was a firm believer in not cleaning the bore with anything but a patch worm or a long q-tip like my LSP barrels.
Chuck Holt started having trouble with his Marvel unit last year. He said he probably only had at most thrity thousand rounds through it, and it started to lead up badly and the shots were not on call. He cleaned it well, and it immediately started to lead up again. Something happens to some barrels as they get some rounds through them that can make them attract lead?

We are at Camp Perry now, and I havent asked him yet if he talked to the Marvel people to see if they would replace the barrel, or had an indication of what caused this issue.

I started to use a foaming bore scrubber every five hundred rounds or so, as a preventive measure. It takes everything out.
Allen

22 bore cleaning

Post by Allen »

I was late picking up my wife last night, so didn't have time to mention a couple other things.

The Ruger MKII I was using was purchased used in 99, so I have no idea how many rounds went through it before I got it. I put over 2 cases a year through it the first 4 or 5 years and call it a case a year thereafter. Ammo varied from CCI SV for matches and anything else I could try for practice. As I posted earlier, there was a big mixture of all kinds of lube from at least 10 different types of ammo. I'm sure that contributed to the problem.

I read an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine 15-20 years ago about one of the writers who toured the Ely factory. They told him that they very rarely clean the bores of the rifles they used to test lots, it took too long to recondition the bore. Well I took that info to heart and quit cleaning the bore. Other than the occasional patch worm & q-tip. The chamber area always got cleaned with the bent 25 cal brush, but the bore...not so much.

When I got my LSP barrels for my Hi Standards, they included the warning that brass/bronze brush usage would void their warranty, so of course that just reinforced my opinions. I played around with the Hi Standards and loved them, but I never shot them as well as the Ruger. Always better x counts but a lower overall score.

I'm getting too far OT.

FWIW
Allen
GunRunner

Post by GunRunner »

The Hamerli 208S comes with a bore brush but the bristles are plastic, if i have to clean a bore i use it with hopps 9, but rarely do it.
Jerry Keefer

Re: 22 bore cleaning

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Allen wrote: I read an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine 15-20 years ago about one of the writers who toured the Ely factory. They told him that they very rarely clean the bores of the rifles they used to test lots, it took too long to recondition the bore. Well I took that info to heart and quit cleaning the bore.. The chamber area always got cleaned

FWIW
Allen
Allen;
Interesting
I have done some heavy study on the .22 over the years. Fascinating cartridge.. I am devotee of Bill Chaffee. He is one of the prominent .22 bench rifle builders. Studied everything he has written.... He agrees that the bores should not be touched. I do not clean 22 bores. Have not for many years. They show absolutely no signs of requiring cleaning..Eley is the only ammo shot.. I do clean the chamber frequently, as the carbon ring does require removal.
Jerry
C. Perkins

Post by C. Perkins »

Jerry;

I am in the same boat as to .22 barrel cleaning.
Just to clarify, his name is Bill Calfee, just in case people want to do some research.

Clarence
D.R. badge #99
Allen

Post by Allen »

Jerry Keefer wrote:
Allen wrote: I read an article in the old Precision Shooting magazine 15-20 years ago about one of the writers who toured the Ely factory. They told him that they very rarely clean the bores of the rifles they used to test lots, it took too long to recondition the bore. Well I took that info to heart and quit cleaning the bore.. The chamber area always got cleaned

FWIW
Allen
Allen;
Interesting
I have done some heavy study on the .22 over the years. Fascinating cartridge.. I am devotee of Bill Chaffee. He is one of the prominent .22 bench rifle builders. Studied everything he has written.... He agrees that the bores should not be touched. I do not clean 22 bores. Have not for many years. They show absolutely no signs of requiring cleaning..Eley is the only ammo shot.. I do clean the chamber frequently, as the carbon ring does require removal.
Jerry
Jerry,
Had I not been the one sitting behind the bench and doing the actual shooting, I would be equally skeptical. The only reason I benched it was my good shots were so far off call. Now bear in mind I was about 4 months out of shoulder sugery and expected larger than life groups, but even with a weak shoulder I was still calling my shots. I couldn't hold the 10 or 9 ring, Lord knows it was a challenge to keep them in the scoring rings at first, but even at that I was calling my shots after the cleaning. There were some called 6's & 7's but I did call them.

As I mentioned, I tested everything in this particular Ruger without ever scrubbing out the bore. Winchester Dynapoints bulk packs, PMC Scoremaster, Eley Brown box, Ely Tenex, Olin and Remington sv white box, Federal 711B, CCI SV, CCI Green box, CCI Blazer, Lapua Midas and those are the ones I can remember off the top of my head. I keep those targets in a file on my desk & pull them out every once in a while to remind myself.

I still don't clean often, but I do clean the bore about once/case now. The action and the chamber are on a much different cleaning schedule.

I'm not going to try to figure out why, it just was. And I decided to change my cleaning routine a bit. I still shoot a variety in my Rugers, Marvel, and Hi Standards mainly because I have a lot of CCI Blazer to shoot in the Ruger. Remington white box from the CMP and Aguila SE for the Marvel and Hi Standards. CCI sv is still my go to ammo for matches.

Allen
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

C. Perkins wrote:Jerry;

Just to clarify, his name is Bill Calfee, just in case people want to do some research.
Clarence
Yikes...:):) I really messed that up..
Thanks Clarence
Jerry
davekp

Post by davekp »

Jerry Keefer wrote:

FWIW
Allen
Allen;
Interesting
Jerry
What is your method for cleaning the chamber?
Dave
Allen

Post by Allen »

Not sure of anyone elses technique, but I use a 25 cal bore brush that is bent into an 'L' shape. The short leg of the L is the length of a 22 case or just a bit longer. You insert the short leg into the chamber and rotate it to loosen up any crud. Follow it up with a patch worm and patch.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

Allen wrote:Not sure of anyone elses technique, but I use a 25 cal bore brush that is bent into an 'L' shape. The short leg of the L is the length of a 22 case or just a bit longer. You insert the short leg into the chamber and rotate it to loosen up any crud. Follow it up with a patch worm and patch.
Ditto. That is what I do also.
davekp

Post by davekp »

Allen wrote:Not sure of anyone elses technique, but I use a 25 cal bore brush that is bent into an 'L' shape. The short leg of the L is the length of a 22 case or just a bit longer. You insert the short leg into the chamber and rotate it to loosen up any crud. Follow it up with a patch worm and patch.
What is a patch worm? Do you use a bronze or nylon brush?
Dave
Allen

Post by Allen »

Dave,
A patch worm is nothing more than a length of nylon weed eater cord that has had one end of it softened with heat and flattened slightly. You then cut the other end into a point to be able to jab it through a patch. Moisten it with your choice of solvent and pull it through the bore.

I use a bronze brush for my chambers.

Al
davekp

Post by davekp »

Jerry Keefer wrote:

FWIW
Allen
Allen;
Interesting
Jerry
Jerry,
What is your chamber cleaning technique?
Dave
Jerry Keefer

Post by Jerry Keefer »

Jerry,
What is your chamber cleaning technique?
Dave
Hi Dave,
Sorry, I get tied up with the shop...and shooter(s) returning from Perry..still unpacking and cleaning (mud) off of everything.
Technique::
I would not call it anything extra ordinary.. Tight patch with Kroil..if that does not get it clean enough, I'll add a little JB.. But I only work the chamber/leade area..just enough to get the carbon ring out.usually not much effort is needed. I don't profess to indicate Kroil is magic.. I have a 5 gallon can of the stuff, and I really like it..it is about the best penetrate for rusty bolts I have ever used, though.. I use custom ground reamers, to get tight chambers.. so I am also very careful not to abuse the chamber area...as Calfee states, that is where the cartridge is supported.. If the chamber is over sized, or bell mouthed, the cartridge will rest in a canted position...
Jerry