US-made free pistols

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

RandomShotz wrote:There is a thread...
Thank you so much for the link. There's plenty of good info to be found there.
6string

Post by 6string »

Depending on how broadly you define free pistol, and the Tompkins is on the broad side (in my opinion), there are a few other U.S. made models. These include the Colt Camp Perry, the Harrington & Richardson USRA, the Hartford single shot, the Hopkins & Allen, the Remington rolling block target models of 1891 and 1901, the various Smith and Wessons (1st thru 3rd models and Straightline), the Frank Wesson "pocket rifle", and the Wurfflein, not to mention the various Stevens single shot target pistols in a variety of chamberings from 22 short to 32 RF on up to the 44 Russian. (Various turn of the century "free pistol" matches commonly used such chamberings).
Most of these are pre-WWII, and often employ some type of break open action. Generally they do not feature a set trigger. But, they often have usable adjustable sights and, occasionally, very fine barrels and hand honed actions.
The Colt Camp Perry is, and has been, highly revered for it's quality of shooting and workmanship. If you've never seen or shot one of these, it is a real treat. I've handled a good number that were owned by collectors whom never fired them. I did get to try one once years ago and really liked it. It looks like a revolver but the "cylinder latch" allows the entire forward assembly that includes a breach block in place of the cylinder, and it's integral barrel to swing out to the left. The action operates like a single action revolver, but the trigger pull is quite light and crisp, often in the 400-500 gram range. The lightened hammer helps give it a fast lock time. Many shooters had these fitted with custom grips. Machine rest accuracy out to 50 yards was absolutely excellent. I suspect that even today a good shooter could make a strong showing with one of these.
The S&W Straightline probably looks the most like a free pistol. It gets its name from the trigger that slides straight back rather than pivoting on a pin. This was a great aid to follow through.
The 3rd model "perfected" single shot is quite nice. It's quaint appearance betrays it's fine shooting qualities. These were reputedly made with three different chamber dimensions, from a more generous "field" chamber to a very tight "Olympic" chamber which would engrave the rifling in the throat on the bullet upon closing the action.
The H&R USRA is a break open single shot that has just recently become a hot collectible. For years, these were available for a few hundred bucks but now seem to command $1000+.
My conversations with older, serious target shooters 30+ years ago most often included these three makers amongst the best available slow fire single shots for use in such matches as the United States Revolver Association Slow Fire Match. But, the Remington rolling block was also an excellent shooter as were the various Stevens models. The quality of their barrels was excellent and even today vintage Stevens Schuetzen rifles show up in serious competitive circles.
From a national competitive standpoint, all of these pistols gave some measure of advantage to some competitors at the time (pre WWII). On the international scene their appearances on the shooting lines was somewhat short lived.

Best Regards,
Jim
BenEnglishTX

Post by BenEnglishTX »

6string wrote:Most of these are pre-WWII,...
AFAIK, all the pistols you list are pre-WWII. Did I miss something, i.e. which ones are post-WWII?

As for the Tompkins, I greatly enjoy mine and shoot it regularly. The trigger is about the best I've ever experienced.

Thanks so much for your input, though. While I'm only interested in post-WWII pistols I've been lucky enough to handle most of the pistols you mention and shoot a couple. They really are special.
6string

Post by 6string »

Hi,

Sorry about that! I was following all the interesting posts throughout this thread and overlooked the post WWII aspect.

Jim