22lr Headspace or Chamber issue???

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Colin

Post by Colin »

Harvey, any chance you can get a picture of the rifle up, as I'm not to sure what the Walther international looks like.I know the KK match but not to sure on the international. Colin
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

Colin wrote:Harvey, any chance you can get a picture of the rifle up, as I'm not to sure what the Walther international looks like.I know the KK match but not to sure on the international. Colin
I will have to wait until my daughter comes over next week.
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

Colin wrote:This problem of roughness on the lands are normally when it's a new barrel, the age of this Walther suggests it's had a few thousand rounds down it, so most of the roughness I would have though is well worn away by now
You could shoot many thousands of rounds down a rough leade and it will NEVER improve. Lead is far too soft to wear away steel.
Colin

Post by Colin »

It's not the lead bullet that causes the wear, it's mostly the primer and all the other crap that propels the bullet that eventually wears away the first few inches of a .22 barrel.Colin
RobinC

Post by RobinC »

Harvey
It is definately one of two things.
1. Fouling in the lead, and it can be extreme if its had some rubbish ammo down it.
Once its fouled and left it can be hell to get them clean. After every shoot I immediately put a felt or patch through mine at the range and its easy, if I leave it an hour or so till I'm home it's a totaly different job, its like getting molton glass out of the bore. I recently cleaned a club rifle that had not been cleaned for a year and it was a real experience. Before you got yours it may have only had a few thousand rounds through it but it also may have never been cleaned after.
Or
2. Burrs in the lead or too tight from new, unlikely but possible.
Wether you get a boroscope or not it requires some attention on the lead so I'd take it to a good gunsmith who will sort it in an hour and you will get the real pleasure out of what is a great rifle.
Robin
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

RobinC wrote:Harvey
1. Fouling in the lead, and it can be extreme if its had some rubbish ammo down it.
Once its fouled and left it can be hell to get them clean. After every shoot I immediately put a felt or patch through mine at the range and its easy, if I leave it an hour or so till I'm home it's a totaly different job, its like getting molton glass out of the bore. I recently cleaned a club rifle that had not been cleaned for a year and it was a real experience. Before you got yours it may have only had a few thousand rounds through it but it also may have never been cleaned after.
Or
Wether you get a boroscope or not it requires some attention on the lead so I'd take it to a good gunsmith who will sort it in an hour and you will get the real pleasure out of what is a great rifle.
Robin
peacemaker

Post by peacemaker »

RobinC wrote:Harvey
Or
Wether you get a boroscope or not it requires some attention on the lead so I'd take it to a good gunsmith who will sort it in an hour and you will get the real pleasure out of what is a great rifle. I will clean some more and get back to you. Harvey
Robin