spraying lead, not in a good way

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2650 Plus

Best advice

Post by 2650 Plus »

Lock your ammo up and begin a program of dry firing. Use a steadily increasing pressure on the trigger and work on perfecting sight before the pistol fires. When you can accomplish this without having any movement in the sight allignment or movement in th pistol you are ready to try moderate live fire on the range. By now you have reinforced error paterns to the point where you may never become a skilled shooter but maybe there is hope. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Philadelphia

Re: spraying lead, not in a good way

Post by Philadelphia »

Dano the Pirate wrote:I have been shooting a SIG 226 for a couple of years. 400- 600 rounds per week , you can double that on weeks when I compete in Bulls-eye and Combat Competitions.

I have noticed in my recent practice sessions, that there are small holes on the paper outside the target area.

I am shooting 25 yard targets at a distance of 25 yards and using premium ammo. I have sent the weapon back to SIG for an overhaul, cleaning and new barrel that has been tapered for accuracy.

I am stumped, does anyone have any ideas?
Another possibility if you are using lead bullets with hard lube. . . . Shooting at 50 yds. I noticed in the spotting scope what looked like what you describe -- extra tiny holes in the target with each shot. Upon up close examination of the target, it turned out to be small "chunks" or "flecks" of blue lube wax. Darndest thing. I imagine it could penetrate a target under the right conditions.

To this day I don't know how the bits of wax made it off the bullets whole, or how they made it 50 yds. with such accuracy (still on the target at all), but I still have the targets and there it is.
david alaways

wax

Post by david alaways »

That one is really hard to believe, or should I say understand?(if possible)
FrankD

Post by FrankD »

Hallo Dano the Pirate,

did you take a closer look at the targets? Where is the direction of the small holes? Are they from the side of your firing point or from the other side? What is behind your targets?

We have a range with wood behind the targets for catching the bullets. After many shoots it is not so unnormal to spray lead, if a new bullet hit a nest of older bullets. But you can always see the direction of the small holes.

We did some international prone shooting on this range and sometimes the electronic scoring machines went crazy about the small holes in the targets.

Frank from Germany
NuJudge

Backsplash from the backstop or bullet trap?

Post by NuJudge »

I see small holes on targets sometimes from bullet fragments, especially when there is a hard armor bullet trap close behind the target. Very occasionally I will see such on a target in front of a backstop.