Waxy ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Gwhite

Post by Gwhite »

It certainly sounds like a magazine issue to me. I'm not familiar with the foibles of the Hammerli, but I've seen the same failure on a variety of other semi-autos that were corrected by a magazine change or adjustment.
Leon

Post by Leon »

Have a look at this [post - viewtopic.php?t=28941

Sounds like someone with a Benelli is having the exact same problems you are. The magazine spring adjustments are worth a go....
toz35

Federal 711

Post by toz35 »

ColinC wrote:From what I understand 711B was developed for specifically pistols (US Olympic team????) and the 719 for small bore rifles. Both are in identical boxes except for the small code number written on one end. There have since been Gold Medal 992A and UM22A developed, both of which I think are for rifle.
I have used the 711B in my IZH-35M for about four years now and find it the most accurate ammo out of the pistol. Over a sandbag at 25m, the shots hold a 25mm (1 inch) group. I imagine in a ransom rest I would expect a much smaller hole.
Cheers Colin
I was at the OTC when Federal was developing the Gold Metal Match ammo. You guys may make me dig into old boxes of ammo and look at the Federal stuff. I don't remember the number codes, only 711, but there were 3 levels of ammo developed. Target was the least accurate and had flat bases, Gold medal Match was the best and had the dimple, the one in between had the dimple too. 711 came in cardboard boxes like most ammo but the other two came in all plastic boxes.

Since Federal used the Rifle team for test firing, as a pistol shooter I was not in on the whole story. What I got out of it was that Federal found that they could build accurate ammo but it would not shoot the same from all the rifles they tested. They ended up designing for Bob Foth's rifle chamber and other shooters had their rifles rebarreled to match his chamber if they needed to for accuracy.

The pistol team was give a few lots of the Gold Medal Match to try out in the Free Pistols and I tested some of it out of a Ransom Rest. I think it shot well for some of the pistol shooters but I continued to shoot R50 for my match ammo. I was given a case of the 711B for practice ammo. I never shot much of it. Maybe I should have practiced more, lol...

david