Why US Citisens are armed

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Dr. Jim wrote:
Bowman26 wrote:
Richard H wrote:He was probably out hunting.

. . . .

Well even an Ontario whitetail would be rather large to do this with, not like those tiny things they grow in Texas and sling over their shoulder.

. . . . Cheers -- Dr J
Thanks for putting a smile on my face, Dr. J!
TomAmlie

Post by TomAmlie »

Dr. Jim wrote:
Bowman26 wrote: Used to have rifle shooters coming to the club in Calgary until the late 70s on buses and bicycles - even now we have one shooter who arrives on a motorcycle with gun case slung across his back (not this week - minus 20C is a bit much even for him).
Cheers -- Dr J
In the mid 70s (as a junior) I used to take the bus (with a transfer) from the Maryland suburbs into downtown Washington, DC with my rifle (cased) and gear. Hop off the bus, walk 6 or 7 blocks down Massachusetts Avenue (past several embassies) to the NRA headquarters, and go to rifle practice in their basement range. Every Friday afternoon from September through April.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

Speaking of Texas deer; we are overpopulated with deer where I live. I invited a high school student to hunt with a bow on our property. This season he has shot three deer. The second one was a huge doe (by Texas standards-yes they are smaller). I saw him carrying the doe on both of his shoulders up a hill to bring it to his truck. His adrenalin was still pumping like crazy as it was a heavy and awkward deer.

I was very pleased since these were the first three deer he has ever shot with a bow.

Come see us in the woods and view our “little” deer.
Jack
corning

Re: Why US Citizens are armed

Post by corning »

Packard wrote:
Bowman26 wrote:
gn303 wrote:Apart from the good joke, I’ve always felt save in the USA.
I’m fond of the west (apologies to the east). I’ve noticed that some people carried concealed guns (after 38 years in law enforcement one gets an eye for that). And I guess they had a permit. When you see someone carrying a hidden gun in Europe he/she is either a policeman or a crook. Better be lucky!
Guy
What about when you see someone carrying a gun openly in a holster on their belt? Down here in Louisiana we are legal to open carry anything we want without any permits or special permission.
I recall driving in Kentucky (I never felt safe in Kentucky) and there was a 11 or 12 year old kid walking alongside the road leading into town and he was carrying a rifle on his shoulder. It did not look like a .22; it looked like a big bore gun. I'm from Long Island, NY and it make me very uncomfortable.
Too bad. There is a clause in that piece of paper called the Constitution that allows for the right to keep and bear arms. Most New Yorkers have given up that right with the politicians they think represent them.

John
Raymond Odle

Post by Raymond Odle »

That Kentucky kid's parent probably told the kid to be armed out of fear that there may be New Yorkers traveling near.
Matt from Iowa

Post by Matt from Iowa »

If people with guns scare you, stay in NY where your elected officals feel they can keep you safe from the Constitution.
Ray and Tina, thanks the the great match last weekend.
Merry Christmas all!!!
Anschutz

Post by Anschutz »

who's scared of who, is it the people without guns being scared of the ones with guns, or people with guns being scared of people who may have a gun
Scottie

Post by Scottie »

Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Scottie wrote:Didnt help this chap.

http://www.news.com.au/breaking-news/wo ... 5976275340
Is it illegal to carry a rifle in CA?
william

Post by william »

Scottie wrote:
Didnt help this chap.

Ignored police: a great example of somebody dying for his presumed constitutional right to be an idiot.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

I think that, all other things being equal, I'd be more scared of an armed person than an unarmed person, particularly when beyond reach of the other person's hand.

Here, in sleepy little NZ, where gun ownership is common, but gun crime is rare, there is pressure (from the police) to arm the police routinely. The last (?) high-profile incident where police shot and killed someone, it was an 'unfortunate' case of mistaken identity. Now I'm getting more scared...
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

william wrote:
Scottie wrote:
Didnt help this chap.

Ignored police: a great example of somebody dying for his presumed constitutional right to be an idiot.
Perhaps a non English speaking illegal immigrant. Misunderstandings like this happen all the time in Iraq and Afghanistan.
Dr. Jim

Post by Dr. Jim »

Jack Milchanowski wrote:Speaking of Texas deer; we are overpopulated with deer where I live. I invited a high school student to hunt with a bow on our property. This season he has shot three deer. The second one was a huge doe (by Texas standards-yes they are smaller). I saw him carrying the doe on both of his shoulders up a hill to bring it to his truck. His adrenalin was still pumping like crazy as it was a heavy and awkward deer.

I was very pleased since these were the first three deer he has ever shot with a bow.

Come see us in the woods and view our “little” deer.
Jack
Studied Japanese Macaques near Dilley back in the 90s, Jack, so I've seen some Texas deer. Smallest one - faun of the year - that I've taken in Alberta, I could barely get over the tailgate. Average dressed out and skinned doe runs to 130 to 160 pounds for whitetail, and a full 4 point mule deer buck comes in at over 325 for live weight (didn't weight him after preparation, but it was a LOT of meat. There's a reason the B&C records come from western Canada!

Cheers & good hunting -- Jim
william

Post by william »

A pretty hypothesis, Fred, but not in accord with the not so pretty facts:
LAPD Officers Kill 23-Year-Old Bicyclist Kevin Wooten On Christmas Morning
By Simone Wilson, Mon., Dec. 27 2010 @ 10:31AM

Kevin Wooten, a young black man from Watts, was riding his bicycle at 4 a.m. on Christmas morning. He was passing through the Jordan Downs Housing Project, near 9900 Grape Street in Watts.

Wooten's fatal mistake: Police say he was holding an assault rifle.

KTLA -- and no other major news outlets -- reported yesterday morning that when 23-year-old Wooten did not drop the weapon at the request of officers, they opened fire:

Police had received a report of an assault involving a rifle. They were questioning people inside an SUV at the housing area, when the armed man came toward them on a bicycle.

Officers say he ignored their commands to drop the rifle, prompting them to shoot him.

Wooten was pronounced dead soon after at a nearby hospital. According to the coroner's report, his cause of death was multiple gunshot wounds. A rifle was recovered from the scene of the homicide.
Or are you implying that LA should be considered a free fire zone like much of Iraq and Afghanistan?
pgfaini

Re: Why US Citizens are armed

Post by pgfaini »

I've hunted ducks and small game on Long Island(Suffolk County), most of my life. Why a few boys carrying long guns would frighten someone from LI, is beyond me. Back in the '50's The Metropolitan Rod and Gun Club, located at 162 Pacific Street, Brooklyn, NY, had a skeet range and duck blind on the shores of Jamaica Bay, in the East New York/New Lots sections of Brooklyn, also know as "the Old Mill" section, after an old Dutch tidal mill which once stood there. Now a bird sanctuary. Back then, the club, being located in the Borough Hall section of B'klyn, many of the members were lawyers and judges, and had somehow gotten permission to discharge firearms within the city limits. I joined the club in the early sixties, when they accepted middle class members. I used to, as a youth, live in the New Lots section, and carried my shotgun about four blocks, through the streets of Brooklyn, to hunt rabbits, ducks, and pheasant there, along Jamaica Bay. Never raised an eyebrow, or was hassled by the police(75Pct.). Also, back in the '50's several New York City High Schools, had 50ft. indoor rifle teams. Jamaica HS, in Queens, and Stuyvesant HS in Manhatten, come to mind. Team members carried their .22 target rifles through the halls, without so much as raising an eyebrow. The guns were minus their bolts, which were kept under lock and key by the teachr/coach. Boy, how times have changed!!
pgfaini
Packard wrote:
Bowman26 wrote:
gn303 wrote:Apart from the good joke, I’ve always felt save in the USA.
I’m fond of the west (apologies to the east). I’ve noticed that some people carried concealed guns (after 38 years in law enforcement one gets an eye for that). And I guess they had a permit. When you see someone carrying a hidden gun in Europe he/she is either a policeman or a crook. Better be lucky!
Guy
What about when you see someone carrying a gun openly in a holster on their belt? Down here in Louisiana we are legal to open carry anything we want without any permits or special permission.
I recall driving in Kentucky (I never felt safe in Kentucky) and there was a 11 or 12 year old kid walking alongside the road leading into town and he was carrying a rifle on his shoulder. It did not look like a .22; it looked like a big bore gun. I'm from Long Island, NY and it make me very uncomfortable.
Telecomtodd

Post by Telecomtodd »

This has been a fun thread. I remember being 13 and bringing my gun to McQuaid Jesuit High in Rochester because Mike Drexler and I were off to CT for the Northeastern Regionals. We had to put them in an unused classroom because the stuff was too big to put anywhere else. This was after the rifle team's basement range was closed for some unknown reason.

I put Archie Bunker up as my Facebook avatar. Here's one of my favorite videos of Archie talking about "Guns for Everybody" and gun control - what's scary is that his anti-skyjacking idea isn't that bad!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLjNJI54GMM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJyQn5-_Lmw
kbc

Post by kbc »

Feeling safe in countries that ban guns? Not for me.

Here is my experience. I am Asian and went to school in West Lafayette, Indiana for 4 years in the early 1990s. They had occassional KKK parades on certain Saturdays. When there was one, the school recommended the international students to avoid the parade location. Many of my Asian friends encounter these KKK members. They never said a single racism word to us. And we had no problem sharing guns and shooting together in the same shooting range. This was my good old memory of Indiana. But I did heard of Asians there occassionally harassed by the KKK.

When I was in England last year for two short weeks, I received more intense racial discrimination than I ever have received in the U.S. They made racial commends right in front of my face. While I was walking in downtown Bournemouth one night, a car speed passed me and someone in the car threw out a big cup of smoothie at me. It didn't taste too bad compare to Jamba Juice's smoothies. My relatives have lived there for decades. One time their car was set on fire by those racist white English.

With the right to bear arms in U.S, I feel much safer here than in England. My English cousins and friends are most likely to disagree on this.