Help! My front sight goes down

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Re: Rake

Post by David Levene »

schatzperson wrote:??? Perplexed !
Don't be; there is a third (IMHO correct) way.

3) With your wrist at an angle that is comfortable for you.

Make the gun fit your comfortable shooting position, not the other way round.
schatzperson

Rake

Post by schatzperson »

Well David, what you suggest is what I have been doing all along. However I'm too inexperienced to know better or otherwise, so might give the "big droop" a try.

I am far enough to be sensitive when things are not right, but not savvy enough to know what exactly.
So maybe a bit of trying out an extreme rake will reap benefits.

Dont think my FAS grip can be adjusted that far, so perhaps might spend a couple of days building another set.
David Levene

Re: Rake

Post by David Levene »

schatzperson wrote:Dont think my FAS grip can be adjusted that far, so perhaps might spend a couple of days building another set.
Remember that if you do that you will be altering the "angle of attack" on the trigger.

You will also need to be careful not to make the gun too long to fit in the box.

Also remember rule 8.4.2.1:-
"The center line of the bore must pass above the web (between thumb and forefinger) of the hand holding the pistol in the normal firing position."

Before making such dramatic changes I would suggest you gain a bit more experience. Too many shooters try to gain points by playing around with well proven designs.
schatzperson

Rake

Post by schatzperson »

Thanks for the eye openers David !!!
Will look into this later.
CB2

Focus on front sight not target.

Post by CB2 »

All I can say is Focus on front sight not target. CB2
pbrejsa

Post by pbrejsa »

"The center line of the bore must pass above the web (between thumb and forefinger) of the hand holding the pistol in the normal firing position."
This rule is valid for 25m shooting only. Not applicable to air (10m) & free (50m) pistol.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

pbrejsa wrote:
This rule is valid for 25m shooting only. Not applicable to air (10m) & free (50m) pistol.
Absolutely correct.

I was assuming that "schatzperson" was talking about his FAS603, or possibly a 602 (which I know he was also considering buying).

My apologies if that assumption was incorrect or if there was some confusion.
Shooting Kiwi

Post by Shooting Kiwi »

When you are dry firing against a blank wall, the only judgment you have to make is to ensure that your sight alignment is perfect, then you operate the trigger. Easy!

However, when there's a distracting target, you have to concentrate on the sight alignment and the alignment of sights and aiming point. Difficult! This extra difficulty may add tension and anxiety and all sorts of involuntary muscular effort. Also, it takes longer to decide when to operate the trigger. My bet is that your bad shots are mainly those in which you were on aim for the longest time. Get someone to time you. Don't wait for the 'perfect' shot, it's too fatiguing.
bijupaul

Post by bijupaul »

Shooting Kiwi wrote: This extra difficulty may add tension and anxiety and all sorts of involuntary muscular effort. Also, it takes longer to decide when to operate the trigger.
It's true, There was some added issued with my grip. It was a large one with little extra space above my middle finger so my middil finger's top was not touching the curved part of grip and also my palm was not in perfect contact with surface of grip. Now these are corrected I'm almost eliminating those 6'O'clock shots.
Now I realize how impotent is a correct grip in pistol shooting. My next goal is learn to call the shots properly.

with thanks,
Biju