Air Pistol Matches in Southern California

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
david alaways

LA match

Post by david alaways »

My LA connection has told me you can have a match at the Angeles range. I dont know anything about the range, I guess thats where she trains. I thought she shot where the UCLA or USC club team shoots. What do any TTers know of the range? Im ready for a trip to LA.
SeanM

Re: LA match

Post by SeanM »

david alaways wrote:My LA connection has told me you can have a match at the Angeles range. I dont know anything about the range, I guess thats where she trains. I thought she shot where the UCLA or USC club team shoots. What do any TTers know of the range? Im ready for a trip to LA.
I'm having a little trouble tracking this range down. I can't find information on a USC or UCLA shooting team either. They aren't listed on any school web page I can see.

Does your contact have any more information?
david alaways

range.

Post by david alaways »

The range is on the web. photos , It looks like it has everything. I dont recall what I typed in to find it but I found it rather easy. The school team is a club so I dont know how that works.
david alaways

Range

Post by david alaways »

Angeles shooting range! Has all great reviews.
SeanM

Re: Range

Post by SeanM »

david alaways wrote:Angeles shooting range! Has all great reviews.
Thanks!
mtncwru

Angeles Shooting Range

Post by mtncwru »

I shot at ASR fairly frequently when I lived in LA. It's not a bad place for match shooting practice, especially compared to the indoor pistol ranges around LA, but it's definitely no LA Rifle & Revolver Club. Of course if you're looking for pistol time that's obviously not an option. The main part of ASR has two ranges with the office in between; the range to the left has concrete benches and goes as far as 600 yards, while the right tops out at 100 yards and includes a steel gallery. Paper targets can be set out at any distance up to 300 yards on the long range, as well as several sections on the short range. There is also a sporting clay course, a silhouette area, and several private ranges.

The main areas at ASR tend to get pretty busy and loud on the weekends, but weekdays were fairly low key. You might look into renting a range for the day, depending on how many people you get together. I typically found that the ASR website (http://www.angelesranges.com) didn't always have accurate information, so it's probably best to call (818-899-2255) with questions. Their staff was usually pretty helpful.

Best of luck on getting an AP match together. I would join you, but I don't have an air pistol, and the new hardware budget is somewhat dry at the moment. Cheers!

~MTN
paw080

Post by paw080 »

SeanM wrote:
david alaways wrote:My LA connection has told me you can have a match at the Angeles range. I dont know anything about the range, I guess thats where she trains. I thought she shot where the UCLA or USC club team shoots. What do any TTers know of the range? Im ready for a trip to LA.
I'm having a little trouble tracking this range down. I can't find information on a USC or UCLA shooting team either. They aren't listed on any school web page I can see.

Hi Sean, The range is in Whittier Narrows Park. It is located very near the
model airplane R/C field. The park costs several bucks to enter..unless you
have an AMA(Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership card.

The park is located just off the 60 fwy and Rosemead blvd(I think).

Tony
SeanM

Post by SeanM »

paw080 wrote:
SeanM wrote:

Hi Sean, The range is in Whittier Narrows Park. It is located very near the
model airplane R/C field. The park costs several bucks to enter..unless you
have an AMA(Academy of Model Aeronautics) membership card.

The park is located just off the 60 fwy and Rosemead blvd(I think).

Tony
Is that the same range as the Los Angeles Rifle and Revolver Club? I didn't know they had much of a pistol set up.
mtncwru

LARRC vs. ASR

Post by mtncwru »

The LA Rifle and Revolver Club is the one in Whittier Narrows Park (see map). Despite their name, they do not allow pistol shooting, even air pistol, because of their terms of use agreement with LA County. Due to where the range is, and especially what lies just beyond their berm, they have to be extremely restrictive in what they allow. It's a terrific range, and if you shoot smallbore rifle you owe it to yourself to visit, but sadly there is no pistol shooting.

The Angeles Shooting Ranges are up in Lake View Terrace off of I-210 (see map). They're much less picky about what you shoot, so long as it's not steel core or tracer ammo.

~MTN
jannypan

Post by jannypan »

I imagine you are talking about the Los Angeles Rifle and Pistol Club. I would we willing to donate couple of Gehmann manual target systems and would also volunteer to help build the range if they provide us space at their range. Their air rifle shooters would also be able to use the manual system. The Gehmann target system is pretty inexpensive. Cheap WOW Items
Cheap RS Gold
WOW Items Gold
twojnar

Air Pistol Matches in SoCal

Post by twojnar »

This is Teresa with Black Mountain Shooting Club. We used to run the mens and womens 10m AP matches out at Prado, but unfortunately we ran into facility/management issues at Prado and decided to stop. I looked into other sites a while ago but without target carriers in was pointless.
There are people who still want to shoot AP in Southern California, myself being one of them. If we come up with any kind of matches we will get the word out for sure. Until then, if anyone comes up with anything make sure to let us know. It's great to see other people are interested! :)
dimwitter

socal

Post by dimwitter »

Bridge Junior Shooting Club
5239 18927 Daisetta St # 101
Rowland Heights, CA
213-700-7161
Conact: In Kim
Source: http://usashooting.org/clubMap.php
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Teresa, I'm still interested in 10 meter AP, and so is my son. Actually,
Jonathan S. is hanging out in the wing(although he's injured), waiting for
a venue to pop up. I'm still practicing in my backyard.

Tony G

Corona, Calif
twojnar

10m Air in So Cal

Post by twojnar »

Thanks for letting me know Tony. I'm just now getting back to practicing because I'm hoping to get back to nationals next year. Greg and I have talked about trying to find another venue in So Cal but we'll start actively searching again and let you know what we come up with. We will post any updates here in the future, and you can email me as well, and in the meantime if anyone else has any suggestions I'm sure we'll see them here. Thanks again, and I'll talk to ya soon, Teresa
Rover

Post by Rover »

twojnar

Post by twojnar »

"Rover", thank you for the links, I did check them out but it's not what I'm looking for.

Thanks again,
Teresa
Rover

Post by Rover »

Sorry they were no help.

You mentioned that without target carriers there were no options.

I have fired matches at several ranges where the conditions were primitive, but worked.

A simple method was hanging 4-bull AP targets from a single wire crossing the range, changing them every 20 shots. It doesn't get easier than that. Hang two for each shooter and you can change after 40 shots, an entire match for a woman or Junior.
ricchap

Post by ricchap »

Another option would be to rent a bay from 9-12 at an indoor range and shoot the match there. Not cheap, but possible.

Post by Guest »

Thank you both for your input. Both renting the bays and the more primitive ways are things we are going to look into if it looks like we have enough people who want to participate. Hopefully the easier the better because if we have to go to less modern methods setting up and tearing down isn't always easy.
Thanks again for the input/brainstorming! :)
Teresa
twojnar

Post by twojnar »

Oops, forgot to sign in when I posted...
Thank you both for your input. Both renting the bays and the more primitive ways are things we are going to look into if it looks like we have enough people who want to participate. Hopefully the easier the better because if we have to go to less modern methods setting up and tearing down isn't always easy.
Thanks again for the input/brainstorming! :)
Teresa