shading or waiting?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

RobStubbs

Re: shading exercise?

Post by RobStubbs »

Albert B wrote:Now that is established that shading can be done within 0.2 points, how do we train for that kind of shooting? Who knows ways and/or exercises to train our hold/aiming/and eyes for that?
I am always willing to learn........
By the way, a deveation of 1.6mm at the target equals 0.022mm at the muzzle!

Albert B
It basically has to be training and practice. You can for example shade to shoot off centre by say 1/2 cm (so you'll be centreing on the 9/10 dividing line) in windless conditions. Then when it is windy, practice aiming off and work out how much to aim off for (and where to aim) in all wind conditions you can get. It takes time and lots of practice as we don't tend to get winds from all directions very often.

Rob.
Albert B

Post by Albert B »

Rob,
when you are in The Netherlands you must visit my shooting club in Haarlem one day. We are not too far from the Northsea and our 50m shooting range (12 50m lanes) is enclosed by concrete walls, 10 blinds hanging over the lanes to stop flyers leaving the top of range and hitting the ice skaters at the ice skating ring 300m further up (they are in line with the shooting range). Wind coming in over the roof of the clubhouse, whirling in from the top because of the blinds over the range. Then, when the down coming winds through the blinds hit the ground they go sideways along the ground untill they hit the walls and start whirling again! When wind is blowing, the flags look like balerina dancers, making circles and pointing up and down almost at the same time!
Shading is very hard to practice with those winds, but I will try and experiment.

Thanks guys!
Albert B
BartP

Post by BartP »

Albert-

Do you have a scatt or a noptel? Being able to 'see' the hold when you test your shade is the key.

You are right. The deviation at the firing line is very small. I suggest you try the visualization technique first and go from there. Then try it on the electronic trainer to test your efforts.

Bart
dlinden

Post by dlinden »

This thread is helpful. Practiced shading on my SCATT yesterday, first establishing a good position, hold, and zero. I then practiced with the 50 Meter ISSF target and then the 100 yard Conventional target. Much easier for me to have better results with the 100 yard target as it is probably more forgiving. I was able to achieve two holds on either side of the bull i.e., 9:00 on the X ring and on the 10 ring and the same on the other side at 3:00. It was relatively easy to discern the alignment of the target in the front aperture to achieve these results. I found it much more difficult to achieve the same degree of consistency on the 50 meter International target. As Eric mentioned, I was getting elevation as well as some pretty wide shots as well. I was never confident where the shot placement would be after firing. These are all first attempts for me and something I will continue to work on.

Dennis

PS Further congratulations to Eric and Mike on more great performances in big matches.