Proper fit of Rink grip

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Post by Guest »

Here you can find a few more pictures:

otherwise you are going to have to accept some compromise.
I'm accepting some compromise. But I want to know whether a thick grip would have suited me better or not. I guess this is a reasonable doubt.
I would send it back and get a refund or get the real deal that will work.
If I only could try a thick grip... what I do not want to do is pressure the seller to replace my grip for a thick grip then have to go back to a normal grip.
All these pistols have a more raked grip than the AW93 and have the possibility to adjust the trigger blade position which is sligthly to the rea.
The trigger shoe was correctly positioned with the XL grip and it's still within acceptable limits with the L grip. A raked grip makes your trigger finger move further to the front than with a more vertical grip.
AW93 Light

Post by AW93 Light »

I think you need a "L" size, but a thick (volume).
You need more wood with these fingers.

See you tomorrow!!

Post by Guest »

I think you need a "L" size, but a thick (volume).
Hey buddy,

I'm all for giving that "thick L" grip a try, but Thomas seems to think otherwise. I didn't ring him though, I've just been keeping an e-mail conversation with him--he's always busy.
You need more wood with these fingers.
Sure I do!
See you tomorrow!!
I may go to the range in the morning, but isn't that Sport Pistol match on Sunday? Anyway, bring that Nill grip with you ;-)
luftskytter-

Post by luftskytter- »

Guess you know the options, the decision is yours.

Try Rink L / thick grip:
Get one from Rink or search for someone near your place who's got one.
If you need to buy, there's a chance you may need to Dremel it.

Go all the way, pay the price and visit Rink.

Check out another brand.

Add putty to a slimmer grip, many people do this.
No big deal really, if a good fit is important.
This puts you in charge, and you can play around ........

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your advice, luftskytter!

I've asked Mr. Rink if he'd be so kind as to let me try a "thick L" grip. Otherwise, I'll just add putty to my current grip if he denies me such possibility.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

If you decide to buy another makers grip or even another rink , sell the one you have. I would buy it but at a firesale price :-) .

Post by Guest »

Herr Rink ist ein sehr geduldiger Mensch zu sein!

Post by Guest »

Herr Rink ist ein sehr geduldiger Mensch zu sein!
I'm very happy with Rink service. I may have overanalysed the fitting of my new standard grip, but it's actually quite good. The factory FWB grip --to which I was used to-- didn't fit me at all so I need a bit of time to adapt to the new grip--that's all.
I would buy it but at a firesale price
Thank you, but I'm going to keep it. I'm conscious that a standard grip will never fit my hand accurately, that I may need to slightly fit it to my own personal traits. This new Rink grip is a lot better than the factory FWB grip. Also, I'm aware that it's somewhat difficult to fit a grip with the magazine in it.

Should I had a pistol with a more raked grip like a Morini or a Pardini I'd most probably have needed a "thick L" grip, but this is not the case with the more vertical grip on the AW93. Besides the AW93 allows for plenty of room for the trigger finger.

Post by Guest »

You can all see in the following picture how my fingers fit on the front strap of the AW93/Rink-L grip. Please, note that I took this picture myself so it may not be entirely accurate.

Here, you can compare the above picture of my hand with some examples found in the Bible... errr... the one by Yur' Yev:

The above comparison lead me to the conclusion that those shooters represented by Yur' Yev had to have, either, all short fingers or they may have used a grip that covered the front strap of their Khaidurov pistols with wood.

Thus I cannot find any evidence of a covered --build up-- front strap on the following KhR-31 pistol:

Nor in this KhR-86 pistol:

Just as a curiosity, does somebody have a picture of a Khaidurov pistol with a grip that totally encircles its metal frame?
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Your first image says it all....... your gripping fingers are angled back, not square to the front grip strap, at least your middle finger, not good. The finger that angles back is the middle finger and is very powerful. it is directly under the trigger finger. When the trigger finger is pressing the trigger rearward , the middle finger may ( depending on your control level) sympathetically tighten, and the tightening is not rearward, thus setting up a sight misalignment. If the middle finger is square, then the tension on that finger is directly to the rear at the beginning of the shot and at the end.The sight will be in alignment during the complete process of the shot.
Thus I cannot find any evidence of a covered --build up-- front strap on the following KhR-31 pistol:
The added material to the grip is at the back strap not the front, if the thick grip is compared to the standard there is 5 mm more wood at the rear .This moves the palm of the hand rearward and thus the gripping fingers are square to the front strap.

Hey , what the heck, send this thread to Rink and let him see what people are saying about his product

Post by Guest »

your gripping fingers are angled back
In my opinion, this is only the case for the middle finger. The ring and small fingers are just fine. I'd actually have some trouble reaching the front strap with the ring and small fingers if I was to go with that "thick L" grip--specially with the pinkie.
The added material to the grip is at the back strap not the front
I was thinking something more along the line of the Baikal Izh-35M --as pictured here below-- where the front strap is covered with wood:

This would have the advantage of only having to fit my middle finger. Also, that's why I was asking whether someone had ever heard of such grip for an AW93. But maybe this would alter somewhat the balance of the pistol?
RB6

Post by RB6 »

This would have the advantage of only having to fit my middle finger
I think your onto something :-) Try a creative temporary shim for awhile and see how it goes, If your group doesn't change after a grip change , then you are gripping it the same each time you pick up the pistol. The thing to look for each time you pick up is to make sure the gripping fingers are square to the front strap and then apply the same gripping pressure that gives you the best stability. Then the next thing to do is adjust the trigger to fit the finger . A complete novel can be written on what happens next in trigger control. Now were off topic

jipe

Post by jipe »

Anonymous wrote:Here you can find a few more pictures:

Based on those new pictures, I think a Thick L would be the best for you.

Post by Guest »

Based on those new pictures, I think a Thick L would be the best for you.
After several measurements, I determined that I need an extra 2 mm or 3 mm in grip depth. So that’s quite in between the “L” and “Thick L” grips offered by Mr. Rink. I also found out that this extra depth must be located between the knuckles and the hypothenar eminence—being the middle finger length not that important at this point since this pistol lets me set the trigger shoe at the right place without the interference of the trigger guard. Eventually, I have to add some putty to the grip tang and I have to slightly reshape the thumb rest.

Thank you for your interest and I welcome further advice.