SP20 .32 ammo

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Rover

Post by Rover »

Fiocchi used to (maybe still does) seat the bullets waayyy deep in the case and then put on a very heavy roll crimp.

What I would do first, because it costs nothing, is to put a heavy roll crimp on the case. I would also try seating the bullets deeper. Then I would try a combination of the two.

A small Lee press and dies costs very little.

PM me for a cheap set of dies.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Strange that the Lapua web site has pictures clearly showing the edge of the bullet flush with the end of the case.

You are right about the Lapua.........I checked my 32 samples with the deep seated lead as declared and they are Fiocchi ( head stamped GFL ) and not Lapua . sorry my error and yes they are waaaay deep with no exposed button
POPeye as guest

Post by POPeye as guest »

It appears to me that the Lapua website shows the projectiles being seated deeper than just flush with the top of the case (1mm).

Further, and more importantly, the crimp appears to be light, so that the case does not flare, and is not overly crimped.

To do otherwise may result in splitting the skirt?
ruig

Post by ruig »

FredB wrote:Are you sure that the little extra feed ramp for .32 has been properly installed?
I'll check ramp position, but I think it is OK since ramp fixed by axis. It means for me that only one fix position possible without possibility to adjust.
ruig

Post by ruig »

More info about load:

Bullet: 100 gr H&N Lead-Wadcutter
Powder: 1,7gr Vihtavuori N320
crimped

Quick-Load software shows following info:
IPSC-Factor: 74,2
V0: 226m/s
Max pressure: 683 bar
Muzzle pressure: 95 bar
RB6

Post by RB6 »

Your almost there, looking at an enlargment of your photo shows a modest roll crimp . All you have to do is seat the bullet flush. Just push the round against your work bench and it will likely seat further quite easily. then you are good to go with the slight roll in the case rim. Its the lead that is sticking on the ramp and then snaps up directly in the top of the chamber , instant jam. With the lead seated deeper, it will be the brass that contacts the ramp and no stickee, just slides up the ramp and into the sweet spot just like it was made to do. The problem is the reload with the exposed lead. There is no reason why it is exposed. The reloader is likely thinking that the crimp is holding the bullet captive from recoil so that it wont come out of the case resulting in a overall length that would cause failing to load conditions. But if the round is below the roll crimp it can't come out anyway, not to mention it's probably the lowest recoiling center fire pistol cartridge made
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I know that Fiocchi's cartridges are seated flush or a bit below, and have a heavy roll crimp, I use always at the range...
Now I must understand why in the reloading manuals there are seating dephts (for wadcutter bullets) longer than cases...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

buonvento wrote:Now I must understand why in the reloading manuals there are seating dephts (for wadcutter bullets) longer than cases...
Is it because of the "pip" in the middle of the bullet which can protrude beyond the case mouth?
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

I don't think so, not all wadcutters bullets have the nose, especially Fiocchi's.
julioalperi

Pictures of Fiocchi .32 S&W Long WC

Post by julioalperi »

Fiocchi factory loaded bought in 2009.

Julio
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

If you have a caliper near your bench, could you please measure the COL? Thanks!
By the way, this afternoon i've shot 25 Magtech, I've made a nice group, except a 7, but the barrel was very very dirty (lead from the chamber to the muzzle...), maybe the bullet's diameter don't match with my Pardini.
julioalperi

COL

Post by julioalperi »

Cartridge Overall Length??
I´ve measured 15 cartridges with a digital caliper.

23,17 mm
Average length=23.148 mm
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

Cartridge Overall Lenght equal to Case Overall Lenght (considering the roll crimp)? I'm a little bit confused...
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

buonvento wrote:Cartridge Overall Lenght equal to Case Overall Lenght (considering the roll crimp)? I'm a little bit confused...
I would have thought that even a fairly heavy roll crimp would only shorten the overall cass length by a tiny amount (if at all); certainly within the normal manufacturing tolerance of a commercial rimmed case.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

David, this is what I'm asking myself:
1) we all know that factory cartridges have the bullets seated flush with a medium-heavy roll crimp;
2) we know also (thanks to julioalperi...) that the average cartridge length is 23.15 mm (for Fiocchi, but I think that other brands have the same length);
3) CIP rules tell us that the max. case length is 23.27 (my reloading manual tells to trim cases at 23.2...);
4) the reloader in his reloading manual read that the bullets must be seated at 23.50 mm (the Fiocchi's 100 gr. HBWC that I use, Fiocchi's manual and another one);
5) the final result for me, that have followed all the instructions, is that I have a cartridge with a little bit of lead out of the roll crimp.
6) I must think that Fiocchi or any other brand tells a thing but makes another one, or reloading manuals don't tell the truth?
What do you think about?
Last edited by buonvento on Wed Apr 14, 2010 8:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Further to David Moore's earlier post, my experience has been that the Walthers will accommodate a smidgen of lead projecting from the case, and even seem to prefer this, giving tighter groups at 25M. Others (e.g. Pardini) need to be seated flush or slightly below the case mouth to avoid feed malfunctions.
I suspect this is more related to the magazines' ability to cope, or not, with Overall length.

WRT accuracy, the chamber/seating length seems to be important - this dimension = Overall length - rim thickness.
ruig

Post by ruig »

I have illustrated my problem with overall cartridge length.
As you may see - cartridge is already in chamber tunnel with its nose, but it pressed by big force of slide's springs to the top part of the chamber.
Sometimes it is enough to move slide 2-3 mm back and let the cartridge to come unstuck.

As we all supposed - O.C.L. is the reason.

I will try to prepare test batch removing everything beyond case's edge (using file) and we'll see if it jams and if groups are OK.
RB6

Post by RB6 »

It would be simpler if you place a small block of wood at each end of the cartridge and seated the bullet flush in a vise. It's real quick and you won't wear out your file

Another thing to check is the width of the magazine lips at the front. If you have 2 mags , measure them to see if the distance between the lips are the same , If one is smaller , that one would likely hold the round in the magazine longer and more level as the bolt is pushing the round out of the mag into the chamber. If the lips don't have sufficient tension on the round it will pop out of the mag prematurely and the front of the round will jam in the top of the chamber . Try loading an empty case by releasing the bolt slowly and you should be able to see if the case pops out of the mag early. If so the fix is obvious
ruig

Post by ruig »

RB6 wrote:It would be simpler if you place a small block of wood at each end of the cartridge and seated the bullet flush in a vise. It's real quick and you won't wear out your file
Good idea!!! Thanks! I hope primes will not ignite.
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

If you have a friend that owns a press, I would crimp a little bit more.
Next week I'll try to reload my cartridges seating bullets flush and testing the difference at chronograph, between old and new cartridges.