Purpose of adding weight to an air pistol

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

well looks like il have to make a custom set. at the moment i Have way more weight than I will continue to shoot with but I shot a pb last night but that also could be down to removing my blinder so i have to consentrate more on the front sight. who knows.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

I hate to say it but it is not uncommon to see a degree of (possibly short term) improvement by frequently changing or altering your equipment.

IMHO however, greater and long lasting improvement can only come from prolonged training with consistent equipment and technique. I am not talking about days or weeks, I am talking about months.

Post by Guest »

And i dought you will find anyone who will disagree with you but people also need to experement to find the best combination for themselves
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:And i dought you will find anyone who will disagree with you but people also need to experement to find the best combination for themselves
I agree, but there comes a point when you have to stop experimenting and settle down for a while with what you've got. If you want to make changes you can then do them one at a time and have a realistic chance of gauging their effectiveness after discounting the novelty factor.

You cannot buy success but, whilst I might not go so far as to say you can buy failure, you can certainly buy retarded progress.
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I agree, but there comes a point when you have to stop experimenting and settle down for a while with what you've got. If you want to make changes you can then do them one at a time and have a realistic chance of gauging their effectiveness after discounting the novelty factor.

You cannot buy success but, whilst I might not go so far as to say you can buy failure, you can certainly buy retarded progress.[/quote]

Normally I would only change one thing at a time but the changes come from 2 different sources. The extra weight isnt to try and buy points its a training measure for free pistol as my free pistol is heavier at the front than my air pistol and at the end of a match my arm get to tired and I can no longer hold it still enough. removing my blinder was an idea that I have toyed with for a while and while shooting at nationalls I discovered my consentration on my front sight isnt what it should be. I noticed while in a very good patch that every now and then I would see the pellet traveling towards the target. Every time this happened I shot an 8. In different lighting I wouldnt be able to pick up the pellet and I wouldnt have realised that I didnt still have perfect focus on the front sight. In order to shoot without the blinder I have to focus 100 percent on the front sight or I start seeing 2 sight pictures. I have decided to stick without the blinder for 6 months and at the end of that time if my scores arent back up to or higher than now i will go back to using the blinder

Post by Guest »

From Luftskytter:

For serious use I shoot my best pistol with the setup I'm used to
(medium weight, I've got some weights that I don't use).

But that doesn't mean I never experiment; I quite frequently test other guns and alternative setups, sight pictures etc.
During the easter holidays I brought an IZH 46M because it's "self contained". Last night I shot some rounds with a FWB 65 just for fun:
I was pleasantly surprised at the results I got with this old gun!

But I don't do these enough to "erase" my "programmed" basic competition technique. I do however believe in being "robust" with regard to being able to shoot more than one gun without losing control.
Bobs my baker

weights

Post by Bobs my baker »

Why to not add weights to your gun ! Natural sway and recovery !!!!!!!!!!! EXPERIMENT: Point your hand out, move it to the right or left then recover, repeat .........do it a few times ! Now pick up a weight and repeat the process. Your natural sways recovery just took a *hit !............ The match last 2 hours, Do you carry bricks when you backpack?............... Im not Bob hes my baker.
Muffo

Re: weights

Post by Muffo »

Bobs my baker wrote:Why to not add weights to your gun ! Natural sway and recovery !!!!!!!!!!! EXPERIMENT: Point your hand out, move it to the right or left then recover, repeat .........do it a few times ! Now pick up a weight and repeat the process. Your natural sways recovery just took a *hit !............ The match last 2 hours, Do you carry bricks when you backpack?............... Im not Bob hes my baker.
I think you have missed my point I am adding weights to my air pistol to make it the same as my free pistol so that when I shoot Free pistol I am not trying to lift a brick.
muffo as guest

Post by muffo as guest »

Does the p44 use a lothar walther barrel or do they make their own. the weight system on the p44 looks more useful