Need some Advice (new to AP)

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
BPBrinson

Post by BPBrinson »

"Focus intensely on the TOP EDGE of front sight, refine sight alignment. Maintain constant grip pressure and wrist tension. Start squeezing trigger while perfecting sight alignment." < Quote from Nick's shot plan (Spacepilot)

I would consider the focus on the center of the front sight. If you physically focus on the top, it is easy for your eye to be drawn to the target. Some shots, I don't even remember "seeing" the target, because I am "in" the front sight. I also like the word "allow" the trigger to break, as if the gun goes off by itself. I like your shot plan, especially the part about visualization. Excellent! If you could include all senses in your visualization, including,sight,feel,smell,especially the good emotions of a shot well done, those shots will happen more and sooner! As time goes by, the shot plan will get simpler, the things in the shot plan get automatic and are no longer need on the list. Alignment and "be" the front sight, give permission to the trigger and allow the shot.

Brooks
Chris

Post by Chris »

Ed,Thanks for posting the updated info from your site. I had just read it again a few days ago and could not remember the link.

For a long time I had a scratch I put on my FP sight but by AP was unmarked. My 45 had a mark on it but I did not like it and blacked it out.

Like just about everything in this sport you need to find what works best for you.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

BPBrinson wrote: Some shots, I don't even remember "seeing" the target, because I am "in" the front sight. I also like the word "allow" the trigger to break, as if the gun goes off by itself.
Brooks, thank you for your advice. I think I understand what you are talking about on those shots. Last night in practice, there was this shot that is probably the most satisfactory shot I have ever fired. The sights had settled below the bullseye, my focus was good, the front sight was big and black. For a swift moment, the sights seemed totally still and their alignment was perfect. It was exactly at that moment the trigger broke cleanly all by itself. Then the big black front sight moved slightly toward the 11 o'clock direction before it came back down. During those crucial seconds, I don't remember seeing the target, I don't even remember asking my trigger finger to start applying pressure. I was utterly amazed by the beauty of that shot. Too bad this only happened once last night. None of other 30-odd dry-fire and live-fire shots even came close. But I think you are right, if I keep visualizing well executed shots, they will come more often. That shot from last night probably will be the shot I think about for some time.

I really like how your put things in words (align and be the front sight), and will integrate them into my shot plan.
BPBrinson wrote:I would consider the focus on the center of the front sight. If you physically focus on the top, it is easy for your eye to be drawn to the target. Some shots, I don't even remember "seeing" the target, because I am "in" the front sight.
For a while, I was trying to focus on the center of the front sight. But I think the notch on my gun is too deep and the visible part of the front sight is too big for me, and I end up not focusing on at any specific part of it. The long sight radius of my gun, which makes the rear sight fuzzy, is not helping either. Vertical alignment was particularly a problem for me because, unlike horizontal alignment whose quality is indicated by the high contrast of the gap widths on the sides of the front sight, the misalignment in the vertical direction is harder for me to perceive unless I focus on the top edge. Bill Blankenship said he always had problem with vertical alignment as well, and focusing on the top edge of the front sight solved this problem. I tried it and it seems to be working for me. I am using a narrow notch that only let in a little light through on the sides of the front sight. This way, the top edges of the front and rear sights are closer and it is easier for me to see their alignment. Although I am focusing on the top edge, a little bit of horizontal misalignment will shut out the light on one side or the other, and I have not much problem seeing that without diverting much of my attention from the top edge. But I think this might be temporary. As my ability to concentrate improves, I may try to focus on the center of the front sight and see if it works then.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

spacepilot wrote:The long sight radius of my gun, which makes the rear sight fuzzy, is not helping either.
I'm afraid you have discovered the over-simplicity of telling people to focus on the front sight. You actually need to be focussing on the sight alignment i.e. both sights.

For many people the rear sight will be sharp when they have focussed on the front sight, but this is not always the case. In reality you stand a much better chance of having both sights sharp if you can focus between them. That can be easier said than done, but it is possible.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

David Levene wrote: I'm afraid you have discovered the over-simplicity of telling people to focus on the front sight. You actually need to be focussing on the sight alignment i.e. both sights.

For many people the rear sight will be sharp when they have focussed on the front sight, but this is not always the case. In reality you stand a much better chance of having both sights sharp if you can focus between them. That can be easier said than done, but it is possible.
David, I have been thinking in the past week about if it is possible to have the eye optically focus on somewhere between the sights, while having it mentally focus on the front sight. I have not experimented because it seems pretty hard to me. So you are saying that one can consistently do that? Do you have any drills that I can use to practice that? Thanks.

Nick
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

spacepilot wrote:[David, I have been thinking in the past week about if it is possible to have the eye optically focus on somewhere between the sights, while having it mentally focus on the front sight. I have not experimented because it seems pretty hard to me. So you are saying that one can consistently do that? Do you have any drills that I can use to practice that?
I am not sure why you would want to mentally focus on the front sight. Again, it is the relationship between the two sights that matters. The front sight is just half of that relationship.

I can only tell you what works for me, and has done for the past 24 years.

When I raise above the target I am not really looking at anything. I am aware of the vague sight alignment and the fact that the front sight is higher than the rear sight. As I lower into my first settle (above the target) I am focussing on my hand, just below the grip. As I lower into my final settle, which is actually a drop to just below my aiming area and then another slight rise, I gradually let my focus go forward. The rear sight will come into focus first with the front sight being a bit blurred. A little bit more relaxation and both sights are sharp. If I go too far then I loose the sharpness of the rear sight, but this is rare.

I don't know if this will work for some people. From conversations I have had over the years I suspect that some people cannot focus in mid-air. Maybe the fact that I have always been able to see the hidden images in "magic-eye" type pictures is something to do with it; but maybe not.

I would stress that the above works for me, but mght not be useful for everyone.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

Good stuff so far.

The way I look at it (pun intended) is to PHYSICALLY focus the EYE on the front sight . . . and MENTALLY focus your ATTENTION on alignment.
vjay

Post by vjay »

very good information, thanks guys