Walther SSP .22, about to come of age?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
DiscoStu

Post by DiscoStu »

Readers, I have to humbly agree with 'deadeyedick', in that most of the performace of a shooter will come from the inner skills in relation to a .22 @ 25m, and not particularly from the equipment per-se.

Sure, in other cases/calibres/distances/actions/etc the situation can be different, but in this class, the most amount of performance that can be gained, will be from a bloody-good coach and/or a committeed individual, regardless of the equipment you're using (up into a point).

But, I also consider that a regular-student (or even a pro-student) would benefit the most from a pistol that 'feels just right' and has the inbuilt-basics of quality, because this sort of equipment allows the user to cut-out all the other distractions and focus on the points that mattter.

If the SSP has a trigger that distracts the user from carring-out the perfect technique for a particuular discipine (as previously suggested), then that matter should be rectificed with training and/or modifications.

DiscoStu
MG2inAus

Re: Initial question setting

Post by MG2inAus »

Jipe, my "MG2" serial 12XX is fine now, but it needed some attention early on. It is still a bit fussy on ammunition but problems are pretty rare but I don't think it is any worse than any other standard pistol I see around Victoria.
MG2-owner wrote:
MG2inAus wrote:
Jipe the question was specifically about the Walther SSP, there's no mention of the Morini.
Yes, "MG2inAUS", you are qiuite right.

Apart from that, the new Morini CM 22 "light, or alu", that is, is an interesting tool too.
I owned the former generation af the CM22. It was hampered by a few drawbacks:
- Awkward indexfinger position on trigger (triggerblade angle and position to be blamed)
- Unusual thumb shelf on original Morini grip.
- "Rought", ringed chambers, due to improper reaming/finishing of chambers, and inproper quality control. The rough chambers caused the cases to stick in the chamber, occasionally, negatively influencing cycling/feeding/ejection of the gun.
The bolt proved too heavy too, for match-grade pistol ammo. Would not cycle reliably with soft ammo.
- Old-fashioned rear sight. No finger knobs. Limited blade width adjustability. And limited vertical djustability of rear sight.

I have long since traded off that gun.
Most of the shortcomings of the earlier model have been corrected now, I believe.

I am considering purchase of a CM 22 alu, RF myself.
And have a MG2 rear sight assembly ifitted to the CM 22 frame. If feasible.
Quite some microlathe work involved , I think. But I may go for it.

- - -
How is your MG2 working, "Aussie"?
Some issues? No?
MG2-owner

Post by MG2-owner »

MG2inAus wrote: Jipe, my "MG2" serial 12XX is fine now, but it needed some attention early on. It is still a bit fussy on ammunition but problems are pretty rare but I don't think it is any worse than any other standard pistol I see around Victoria.
Encouraging to hear that. I wish mine will become OK too.
Some sunny day.
ToddMay

SSP

Post by ToddMay »

I have a SSP that I have been shooting for over a year now. Love the trigger. 600 grams for the take up and 400 for the break. Works wonderful. The weight of the pistol is lighter than the GSP so that is why i went with it. the longer barrel equals longer sight radius. I shoot with a match dot now. Have had a few stove pipe failure to ejects recently. Changed the recoil reduction orifice to the larger opening and now all is fine. Shot a 99 timed fire a few weeks ago. and i think a 96 rapid fire. that was using Aguila SE the subsonic ammo.
Love the 3D grip adjustment of the pistol. Mine is cocked to the left to keep my wrist line in a straighter position.
Magazines are fine. just load one round at a time and pull the spring down for that one round and all is good.