Need help - ATF import rule on engraving

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Ted Bell

Post by Ted Bell »

F. Paul in Denver wrote:Ted,

If memory serves me, Don passed away in Dec of 2004. I wonder if that had something to do with it.

F. Paul

You're probably right- they certainly had more pressing things on their minds than engraving a couple of pistols. It did make me wonder though- for the 50 guns/year requirement that we're talking about, if you import 50 guns in 2000 you have to engrave them, but if you then only plan on importing 5 in 2001 (and do so), do you have to engrave them? Or if you import 50 in 2000 but then none until 2010, when you only import one, do you have to engrave that one? Just curious.
(I was thinking maybe Don didn't import 50 in 2004, so didn't engrave any of them.)
Thanks,
Ted
Scott H.

Post by Scott H. »

I recently bought a lovingly used hammerli 215 from our host. "Pilkguns" was newly engraved on the gun. Great gun, in all respects, although the engraving seemed more like advertising when I first saw it, but, perhaps, it was required.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

The engraving is required for all guns imported by licensed importers. The tax doesn't kick in until the 50th gun in a calendar year, and then it has to be paid on all 50.
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

My reading of the material sent to me is whether engraving is required or not has nothing to do with the number of guns imported. Engraving is required for ALL guns brought in by licensed importers (not occasional and one time importers using a form 6).

The 49 gun rule only applies to whether excise tax will be assessed - not whether any must be engraved.

49 guns - no tax
50 guns - tax on ALL 50 guns

Insane