How to roughen up grip surface?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Grips

Post by Guest »

Brilliant, Paul. Please post pics!

John M. in Milwaukee
Chris

Post by Chris »

F. Paul,

I am glad to finally seeing someone else using Quickwood. I have recommended this stuff a few times over the history of TT. Little mess and great results.

Then in the end after the grip shape is just right I used some clear 2 part epoxy and spread over the surface I wanted extra grip and when still wet I sprinkled some very clean store purchased sand. After this dried pulled out the black paint and process was done. Very simple and cheap to do.
F. Paul in Denver

Photos of my grip

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

Hi gang,

Here are the photos of the grips I promised. They have been molded and then coated with the silcon carbide as I described in my previous post.

Good luck and good shooting to all.

F. Paul in Denver

IPshooter

Post by IPshooter »

Hi Paul,

That grip looks awesome! Do you recall the epoxy that was used?

Stan
F. Paul in Denver

Post by F. Paul in Denver »

IP,

I sure dont - as I said, the final finish on the grip was done for me by a fellow shooter. I know he told me it was a fairly quick drying epoxy - max 10 minutes.

F. Paul
ChrisL

other methods

Post by ChrisL »

I personally have used the Dremel tool w/ a small "ball" drill. Took a good hour to drill a lot of half-holes, but the result was very good.

The other solution I would dare to try comes from dinghy racing:
-apply a coat of thick varnish, paint or epoxy resin, cover with coarse sugar or salt.
-let it dry
-wash off the salt/sugar: it dissolves and leaves a nice grippy surface.
scout18

Post by scout18 »

I must agree on the use of quickwood. It ws very simple to use with excellent results for me. I used it mainly on the back of the grip to fill in hole on under the base of my thumb. Quick and easy to use. Then I used the dremel with the small ball file to get a bunch tiny divets in the grip. I think both worked great.
scout18

Post by scout18 »

here are a couple of pictures of my grip
Attachments
izzygrip.jpg
izzygrip.jpg (47.96 KiB) Viewed 1377 times
izzygrip2.jpg