Loosing the battle with TSA

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Richard H

Re: You've just been Lucky...

Post by Richard H »

Nicole Hamilton wrote:
Richard H wrote:Makes you feel safer doesn't it.
Yup, no bombs over a certain size.
I think I really should finish my pilots license that way I can just fly myself and not have to deal with the TSA idiots, I'd just have to deal with Customs.

Unfortunately the regulations on both sides of the border are just killing tourism. I know people who now go out of their way to avoid flying through the US so as not to cause a problem should the flight get delayed or diverted and you have guns on board with-out the dreaded BATF form 7. It's just stupid as the US wasn't your chosen final destination, the guns are locked in the hold of the aircraft (what's the risk). Our rules up here are just as stupid so no need for the flag wavers to get upset, US politicians don't have the exclusive rights to stupidity there is more than enough to go around for all of us.
Jose Rossy

Post by Jose Rossy »

Richard, I just read where Conservatives are getting ready to eliminate rifles and shotguns from the Firearms Registry, limiting it to handguns and restricted long guns.

Well done.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

Jose Rossy wrote:Richard, I just read where Conservatives are getting ready to eliminate rifles and shotguns from the Firearms Registry, limiting it to handguns and restricted long guns.

Well done.
I'm not holding my breath, it's a minority government and politicians are polititicans. The only thing politicians worry about is getting re-elected. Here's hoping they live up to their word and maybe next time we can get majority Conservative government.
GA Guest

Air Cylinders

Post by GA Guest »

UnOfficial TSA Moto

"Common Sense has nothing to do with it!"

Post by Guest »

[Dick, couple of things. 1, You're carrying a Pistol and one or maybe two small air cylinders. I'd bet the TSA folks are paying more attention to the "GUN" than the parts that make it work. 2. Air Rifles cylinders are much more obvious and the air cylinders look more like a "Pipe Bomb" to the TSA folks. 3. You've Just been very lucky. You haven't hit that "By the Book," "Letter of the Law" and common sense be damned Screening Supervisor yet, - But, you will eventually. There are about 455 US Airports, and you could find that many (times the total number of shifts, and personnel on those shifts) different interpretations.

This really needs work from a Congressional Staffer to make TSA fix it. Nothing less will do.

GA Guest]

You can now add Tampa to my list. I don't think it has anything to do with luck. First, I carry a copy of the TSA allowed and prohibited list in case there are questions (none to date). That list clearly shows that "Compressed Air Guns" are allowed in checked baggae. Second, I only bring one cylinder and it's attached to the gun. Please note that this is exactly what USAS recommends you do when traveling with a AP/AR since this rule came out.

An AR cylinder when attached to a gun does not look anymore like a "pipe Bomb" than one attached to an AP.

Basically, I agree that the rule needs to be changed and I've written my representatives. That said -- if WE use common sense when traveling it's really not a problem. If I just went by what I've read on this thread and others I'd never fly anywhere with an Air Gun for fear of a TSA problem -- when my personal experience says otherwise.

Dick
Nicole Hamilton

Post by Nicole Hamilton »

Dick wrote:That list clearly shows that "Compressed Air Guns" are allowed in checked baggae. Second, I only bring one cylinder and it's attached to the gun. Please note that this is exactly what USAS recommends you do when traveling with a AP/AR since this rule came out.
Yeah, well, USAS posted only their opinion and everyone has one. I've gone to their site and posted the actual response I got from the TSA that said they were wrong. Let's see if they can produce something more than just another opinion.
K5Tangos

Civility is your friend

Post by K5Tangos »

Wow - sure is a lot of emotion flying around this thread.

Here are a few free suggestions (worth every penny) from someone inside one of the "goat-roping" agencies. (Thanks to Mike McDaniel for that ego boost.)

1. If you are following the currently published regulations when traveling with the air cylinder, have a printed hard copy with you. (Try http://www.tsa.gov/public/display?theme=178) The TSA is concerned both about explosive transport and a rupturing compressed cylinder when exposed to decreased atmospheric pressure.

2. There appear to be two partially applicable code sections for air cylinders, one for "Paintball" and one for "Scuba." In both cases, the cylinder must be (1) disconnected from the regulator, and (2) have an open end. It is arguable that the regulator stays attached to the gun when the cylinder is disconnected and that screwing in the bleeder attachment gives it an open end. (Otherwise the air wouldn't get out.) The only sticking point is that the code calls for "visual inspection" by the screener. The codes were originally written for scuba tank valves and paintball cannisters, and not PCP air guns which are not designed with routinely opening an end in mind.

3. There doesn't seem to be an exact fit of the regulations and some spotty interpretations by screeners, so here are some suggestions to increase the chances of getting the cylinder on the plane:

Drain the cylinders, detach from the gun, and leave the bleeder valve attached.

Declare it a firearm, and tag in accordance with those regs.

If the screener still balks after a calm explanation, BE POLITE, and ask to speak with the Ground Security Coordinator (GSC). Every airport has one - They are the ones in charge of all things in security including the TSA folks, and are there to resolve disputes. They are (by and large) intelligent, friendly, and straightforward. Explain the situation POLITELY, and show that you are informed of the rules, and have followed the regs to the best of your ability. If still denied, ask for recommended solutions or how THEY would get to a match.

Of course, calling or visiting the GSC at your local airport in advance will greatly help things along.

Obviously, this is not a perfect solution but some movement is being made to get the applicable code sections straightened out. Until then, I hope this helps at least ONE person get to a match.

Thanks,
Keith

(Goat-roper and competitive shooter)