Mountain Competition Pistols

Brought to you by Zero Bullet Company Inc.

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, Isabel1130

usmcmba

Post by usmcmba »

Anonymous wrote:MCP is a sponsor of Brian Zins, like Aimpoint and Lapua, he's not Dr. Nicks business partner. MCP has licensed his name for that one pistol they offer. Don't bring him into this, he doesn't have any other involvement with MCP and you shouldn't be claiming otherwise.
It is obvious you have no clue as to the relationship between Brian and Dr. Nick. I suppose http://teammcp.com/Team_Members.htm is not counted as a relationship Brian has with MCP/Dr. Nick? By the way, Brian does not just endorse MCP's 1911, but the M9 as well. In addition, I think you maybe surprised Brian will be spending at least a week with Dr. Nick shortly to develop new things. I think Brian has brought himself into MCP a lot more than you think and there is nothing you can say for him on that.

I suggest you do not make any groundless accusations without doing your due diligence.

Post by Guest »

I think there are a lot of people out there especially other pistolsmiths who wants to bad mouth Dr. Nick becuase some of the best shooters like Brian Zins uses and trusts his products. Usmcmba, I wouldn't worry about those comment much, I think there are people on here that wants to see Dr. Nick fail and I wouldn't be surprised if the person you posted reply to work for someone like Les Baer or one of the known smiths who are just out to tarnish Dr. Nick's image.

It seems there are some here who complain of not getting a gun in a few months' time. I think many forget that most good gunsmiths have a long queue and take a large deposit. If they don't like the year wait at MCP, they can go to David Sams and wait there for a year too.

Anyway, my two cents

Post by Guest »

My opinion is that this thread is a detriment to new shooters, and an affront to Brian Zins; Dr. Nick; and now Les Baer in substance and in tone. If I were 1 of 1 or Dr. Nick I would be really upset about somebody taking it upon themselves to speak on my behalf.

I would recommend to new shooters particularly, seek out a local bullseye information source if you can. Don't believe every rumor on the web. Target Talk is generally a great source but also go to bullseyepistol.com and BrianZins.com. for good information. Join the Bullseye-L list.

Post by Guest »

Anonymous wrote:My opinion is that this thread is a detriment to new shooters, and an affront to Brian Zins; Dr. Nick; and now Les Baer in substance and in tone. If I were 1 of 1 or Dr. Nick I would be really upset about somebody taking it upon themselves to speak on my behalf.

I would recommend to new shooters particularly, seek out a local bullseye information source if you can. Don't believe every rumor on the web. Target Talk is generally a great source but also go to bullseyepistol.com and BrianZins.com. for good information. Join the Bullseye-L list.
The only trashing of MCP I'm aware of relates to a few people that sent them stolen firearms.

I haven't heard anything, yet, about other vendors saying bad things about MCP pistols...
solomon grundy

Post by solomon grundy »

Maybe Scott can lock this thread.

It's apparent that what's happening here is that the same person, or people, keep posting under different names, making these bizarre claims. This seems to happen whenever Dr. Nick's name comes up online. You get the same grandiose claims and trashing of anyone who questions them.

Whatever the motive in doing this, it's not doing Dr. Nick or MCP any favors, because it makes his whole operation seem shady.
Antoni Scott

Post by Antoni Scott »

I am fortunate, by chance, to live close to Dr. Nick. From the outset I will categorically state that I have no affiliation with his business. I have visited him on several occassions and one of those visits also included meeting and talking to Brian Zins.

Now, let me be frank. Dr. Nick, who holds two Phd's (Biochemistry and Organic Chemistry) has his main profession as a man of Science. His interest in guns is both a labor of love and the persuit of excellence. Words are cheap (wan't proof, read all the major custom shops that guarantee excellence) , but results translate into reality. If Brain Zins thought that "X " was better ,he would be using them. As a ten times Camp Perry winner ,using a Mountain Competition Pistol, that says more than words.

I was stunned at the level of precision that Dr. Nick demands. Did you know that his barrel maker, whose barrels are 5X more expensive than X, undergo a 50 yard barrel test, each and every one, by him, not them ? Out of ten barrels , two are rejected. Did you know that Dr. Nick has exhaustively performed propellant tests to find out which powder has the least varaition in heat output ? Did you know that 9mm and .45 cases can have up to a 5% variation in interior volume ? Does any of this impress anyone ? Do you wonder why Brian Zins has won the last 10 Camp Perry tournaments using one of Dr. Nick's pistols.

My wife is really into .45's and I told her that she is wasting her time with a Les Baer, Wilson or Clarke. If you want to sum up Mountain Competition Pistols in a phrase, say "Persuit of Excellence".

As for myself, I can say that his pistols are competitively priced and will definitelty be backed up after purchase. Dr. Nick is not seeking fortune ( he would have compromised his standards if that were the case), he is seeking the goal that his pistols are the best. Somebody has to be the best.

I would appreciate it greatly, and I would assume that all TargetTalk participants agree, that we set aside any and all unsubstantaited rumors or facts about Mountain Competition Pistols. Let the facts stand on their own. Somebody has to to be the best. In my oppinion, it is Dr.Nick.

Antoni Scott

Post by Guest »

solomon grundy wrote:Maybe Scott can lock this thread.

It's apparent that what's happening here is that the same person, or people, keep posting under different names, making these bizarre claims. This seems to happen whenever Dr. Nick's name comes up online. You get the same grandiose claims and trashing of anyone who questions them.

Whatever the motive in doing this, it's not doing Dr. Nick or MCP any favors, because it makes his whole operation seem shady.
But... why buy an MCP??? Buy something reputable like a Les Baer which they guarantee 1 1/2" on their guns and if you have any problem, they will replace it for FREE... forever!!! Would the guys at MCP do this for you???
Antoni Scott

Post by Antoni Scott »

But... why buy an MCP??? Buy something reputable like a Les Baer which they guarantee 1 1/2" on their guns and if you have any problem, they will replace it for FREE... forever!!! Would the guys at MCP do this for you???

The amount of negativity against MCP seems to be not based on any facts. I would therefore infer that there has to be a motive for this. For anyone to deny the facts, suggests this.

True, Les Baer is reputable and they guarantee 1-1/2" groups. So why would Brian Zins use a MCP (and win Camp Perry ten times with one). I'm sure Zins would use a Les Baer if it were better.
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"I'm sure Zins would use a Les Baer if it were better."

If Zins were on a Les Baer team team, he would be shooting a Les Baer or at least not advertising the fact that he is not, and Les Baer would be paying his entry fees for matches. MCP pays Brian's entry fees for tournaments so he shots an MCP or at least does not advertise that he is shooting something else. :-) Anyone here also think that Tiger Woods uses Wilson golf clubs because they are the best or because Wilson pays him to do so? I know for a fact that the Springfield team can use their own guns, but they wear those Springfield shirts just the same. :-) What part of the paid endorser concept do you people not understand?

Post by Guest »

win Camp Perry ten times with one
I don't think that this is true. He hasn't been associated with them that long.

Post by Guest »

I have to agree with ones who are in support of Dr. Nick and MCP. There are people who are on here to bash him, probably because he is #1 and unfortunately, you are in many other people's cross hairs when you are #1. Dr. Nick is not only a very intelligent person, a great gunsmith but a great shooter as well. You do not find many gunsmiths who are great shots, and believe me, some of the best in the gunsmithing business are also great shooters themselves.

Those who wants to bash Dr. Nick or believe what they read on the internet that are posted without tangible evidence are true, then don't buy or send a gun to Dr. Nick for work! Simple as that! That is great for me because now I wouldn't have to wait as long to get a work of art, a precision shooting instrument from #1, Dr. Nick!

Re: Mountain Competition Pistols

Post by Guest »

Antoni Scott wrote:But... why buy an MCP??? Buy something reputable like a Les Baer which they guarantee 1 1/2" on their guns and if you have any problem, they will replace it for FREE... forever!!! Would the guys at MCP do this for you???

The amount of negativity against MCP seems to be not based on any facts. I would therefore infer that there has to be a motive for this. For anyone to deny the facts, suggests this.

True, Les Baer is reputable and they guarantee 1-1/2" groups. So why would Brian Zins use a MCP (and win Camp Perry ten times with one). I'm sure Zins would use a Les Baer if it were better.
To get the 1 1/2" guarantee from Les Baer, you have to pay an extra $295. I personally think Les Baer is overrated and overpriced. It seems they have some production issues as well http://groups.google.com/group/bullseye ... 4d7f6bb821#. Besides, Les is not Bullseye oriented, why would they have a bullseye pistol with a frame mount? Who shoots a frame mount bullseye pistol???
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"Besides, Les is not Bullseye oriented, why would they have a bullseye pistol with a frame mount? Who shoots a frame mount bullseye pistol???"

I have a friend who shoots a Les Baer. I do not. My friend's Les Baer is a slide mount, but to answer your question, Jim Henderson and most of the rest of the AMU shoot frame mounts. Do you know what the advantages and disadvantages of a frame mount are? or do you not really want to know because you are only interested in trashing Les Baer?

Post by Guest »

Isabel1130 wrote:"Besides, Les is not Bullseye oriented, why would they have a bullseye pistol with a frame mount? Who shoots a frame mount bullseye pistol???"

I have a friend who shoots a Les Baer. I do not. My friend's Les Baer is a slide mount, but to answer your question, Jim Henderson and most of the rest of the AMU shoot frame mounts. Do you know what the advantages and disadvantages of a frame mount are? or do you not really want to know because you are only interested in trashing Les Baer?
Trash Les Baer? Oh you mean the same reason why you are here to trash MCP right? Hmm I see...

For your information, I do know the advantages and disadvantages of a frame and slide mount. Also if you notice, the number of people who shoot bullseye with a frame mount is a very small percentage. Also, interestingly, if you look at Les Baer's lady's team, they all shoot slide mount.

Now, I am interested in what bashing you or "others" have for MCP!
Isabel1130

Post by Isabel1130 »

"For your information, I do know the advantages and disadvantages of a frame and slide mount. Also if you notice, the number of people who shoot bullseye with a frame mount is a very small percentage. Also, interestingly, if you look at Les Baer's lady's team, they all shoot slide mount. "

OK, I am totally confused now. So why in the last post were you asserting that there was something intrinsically wrong with Les Baer offering frame mounted optics? No bashing here. Just questions. I think if you read my previous posts you will not find any basing going on of anyone's guns. The only things I have questioned as a business adviser and attorney are alleged business practices and misstatements of both law and fact that have occurred on this thread.

Post by Guest »

Isabel1130 wrote:"For your information, I do know the advantages and disadvantages of a frame and slide mount. Also if you notice, the number of people who shoot bullseye with a frame mount is a very small percentage. Also, interestingly, if you look at Les Baer's lady's team, they all shoot slide mount. "

OK, I am totally confused now. So why in the last post were you asserting that there was something intrinsically wrong with Les Baer offering frame mounted optics? No bashing here. Just questions. I think if you read my previous posts you will not find any basing going on of anyone's guns. The only things I have questioned as a business adviser and attorney are alleged business practices and misstatements of both law and fact that have occurred on this thread.
My main point in the frame mount is that most bullseye shooter shoot with slide mount, why is it that Les Baer sells their "bullseye wadcutter" model with a frame mount? it just doesn't seem they try to market to the bullseye community hence my original statement.

I am also an atty (I practice mostly PI), and I find there are many posts on here that trash what I personally consider to be a good business, great product, and most of these negative posts come without merit or tangible evidence. In some jurisdictions, depending on the case law, some of these people can be liable for deformation.

Happy holidays!
ttfn

mcp

Post by ttfn »

[quote="
I am also an atty (I practice mostly PI), and I find there are many posts on here that trash what I personally consider to be a good business, great product, and most of these negative posts come without merit or tangible evidence. In some jurisdictions, depending on the case law, some of these people can be liable for deformation.

Happy holidays![/quote]

An attorney that does not know the difference between deformation and defamation can hardly define what those limits are.
joes

Post by joes »

Has anyone else heard the rumor that RRA may be starting up their pistol line again?
Ernie Rodriguez

RRA

Post by Ernie Rodriguez »

RRA does have some in stock-or did have 1 month ago.They don't advertise these but if you call, they just might have what you want.
left360

Post by left360 »

Wandering off thread but....RRA is still producing some pistols on a limited basis. A couple months ago I was told by them that they were still using up parts and slowly producing wad guns, hardball guns and their tactical with light rail. The price my dealer was quoted for an in stock NM Hardball was just about twice the 2008 catalog price.

It would seem tales of the pistol shop's demise may have been a bit premature.