Beginner needs help...

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Mike Carter

Re: Beginner needs help...

Post by Mike Carter »

Did you shoot the ASSA match that was run July 6-12 at the Cardinal Center, or the Buckeye Prone Regional that was run on the 13th and 14th?
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Mike Carter wrote: Sun Aug 04, 2019 5:13 pm Did you shoot the ASSA match that was run July 6-12 at the Cardinal Center, or the Buckeye Prone Regional that was run on the 13th and 14th?
Mike, I was there to watch the competitions and met many of you guys. I will join you for CORL August 18 at Cardinal.
Mike Carter

Post by Mike Carter »

That is good news and welcome to the great sport of smallbore rifle shooting. You have gotten some very good advice and your approach to learning should help you quickly find success. Good luck on the 18th.

Mike Carter
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Mike Carter wrote: Mon Aug 05, 2019 7:33 am That is good news and welcome to the great sport of smallbore rifle shooting. You have gotten some very good advice and your approach to learning should help you quickly find success. Good luck on the 18th.

Mike Carter
Thanks, Mike!
I have been involved with many other sports and participated in other forums before. I must admit smallbore shooters are the nicest and most helpful people I have ever run into. I wish I knew about this sport when I was younger...
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

I need help from you experts with my scope and shooting with a scope.

My SWFA SS 3-15x42 came back from warranty service with a replacement. I installed it and went to the range to shoot with twice. I see a big improvement on my shooting. I guess my aim is better as I can see my target better instead of using my aperture sights. So I assume it is normal to shoot better scores with a scope than without with everything equal. I even start to think about just start my shooting with a scope (any sight). I will make that decision after I get my shooting glasses made and see if my vision can handle metallic sights better.

I also start to question if I am using the right scope. This scope (SWFA SS 3-15x42) was purchased for a different application. Based on what I have read most target scopes have at least 24X power. Will my scope work for shooting 50 yards and 100 yards? I read comments about under 18X I won't be able to see bullet holes shot at 100 yards. Currently I am shooting at 50 feet with a scale down target. I can make out most of the holes but some holes are harder to see. Does this mean I need to use a spotting scope or buy a different scope?

If I do need a new scope, what should I buy? On my short list are Weaver T24 or T36. Although it was stated some services need to be performed - at least replacing T24 1/8 dot with 3/8. I would like to keep my scope budget under $500 if possible. I will use this scope to only shoot 50/100 yards or 50/100 meter smallbore target shooting.

Really appreciate your advice.
Pat McCoy

Post by Pat McCoy »

• I read comments about under 18X I won't be able to see bullet holes shot at 100 yards
Seeing the holes is as much matter of the quality of the lenses, as the power. I see bullet holes at 100 yards easily with a 15x Lyman SuperTargetspot, while friend has problems with a lower quality 24 power scope.

If you are shooting prone only, you might want to go to higher power, but if you are shooting position (standing and kneeling) the higher power will take a lot of getting used to because of the apparent movement (really no more movement than with lower power or irons, but more easily seen).
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Pat McCoy wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 4:08 pm
  • I read comments about under 18X I won't be able to see bullet holes shot at 100 yards
Seeing the holes is as much matter of the quality of the lenses, as the power. I see bullet holes at 100 yards easily with a 15x Lyman SuperTargetspot, while friend has problems with a lower quality 24 power scope.

If you are shooting prone only, you might want to go to higher power, but if you are shooting position (standing and kneeling) the higher power will take a lot of getting used to because of the apparent movement (really no more movement than with lower power or irons, but more easily seen).
Thanks for your response. Now I have to ask a dumb question. My scope is 3X15. Is it 5X or 15X? If it is 15X, it is not too far away. I have no range to test this. I hope I can make it work.
analretentive

Post by analretentive »

"Thanks for your response. Now I have to ask a dumb question. My scope is 3X15. Is it 5X or 15X? If it is 15X, it is not too far away. I have no range to test this. I hope I can make it work."

No dumb questions. It's both, and more. 3x to 15x variable. There is a third number and that is objective size; the diameter of the inside of the front of the scope. Smaller number=less light. Larger number = more light. If your eyes are excellent, you can probably see a bullet hole @ 50 yds with 15x.
I'd have a hard time, but I'm 72.

Good luck,
Gerry
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

analretentive wrote: Thu Aug 08, 2019 9:06 pm "Thanks for your response. Now I have to ask a dumb question. My scope is 3X15. Is it 5X or 15X? If it is 15X, it is not too far away. I have no range to test this. I hope I can make it work."

No dumb questions. It's both, and more. 3x to 15x variable. There is a third number and that is objective size; the diameter of the inside of the front of the scope. Smaller number=less light. Larger number = more light. If your eyes are excellent, you can probably see a bullet hole @ 50 yds with 15x.
I'd have a hard time, but I'm 72.

Good luck,
Gerry
OK, thanks. My scope is variable power from 3 to 15 X. My objective length is 42. Not too big but decent. It is bright enough even under low light indoors condition. It makes set up low on my rifle easier. This is a difficult sport because so much equipment involved and so much to learn to even know how to pick certain equipment.

Right now the most uncomfortable part of this sport is wearing that heavy and hot jacket. Feel like I am doing sauna even in my air conditioned home. What would be like in 90s degree temperature outdoors? Getting used to that will be the most challenging part.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

jhd26 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 am Right now the most uncomfortable part of this sport is wearing that heavy and hot jacket. Feel like I am doing sauna even in my air conditioned home. What would be like in 90s degree temperature outdoors? Getting used to that will be the most challenging part.
You get hot in a shooting jacket, but you are barely moving. Have plenty of liquids for starters. IMO an underlayer that wicks sweat is better than heavy cotton which absorbs; any outdoors shop will sell you a cheap technical fabric baselayer. Consider a sweatband if you get sweaty, and maybe chamois leather/moleskin on the cheekpiece of the rifle: use prittstick, and it peels off easily.

I once saw a shooter deal with hot weather by wrapping a freezer block (the sort sold for cool boxes) in a towel and wedging this under their jacket.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Tim S wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 4:42 pm
jhd26 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2019 6:27 am Right now the most uncomfortable part of this sport is wearing that heavy and hot jacket. Feel like I am doing sauna even in my air conditioned home. What would be like in 90s degree temperature outdoors? Getting used to that will be the most challenging part.
You get hot in a shooting jacket, but you are barely moving. Have plenty of liquids for starters. IMO an underlayer that wicks sweat is better than heavy cotton which absorbs; any outdoors shop will sell you a cheap technical fabric baselayer. Consider a sweatband if you get sweaty, and maybe chamois leather/moleskin on the cheekpiece of the rifle: use prittstick, and it peels off easily.

I once saw a shooter deal with hot weather by wrapping a freezer block (the sort sold for cool boxes) in a towel and wedging this under their jacket.
That is my problem-I get really sweaty feeling hot or not. Sweat gets into my eyes a lot when I compete in tennis or table tennis. I can play tennis under the sun in nest 100 degree. That is fine with me. But lying down there in this jacket is really a torture. Where can I buy the cheek piece cover you mentioned? I have a hard time keeping my cheep weld because of sweat.

I wear the sweater and jacket every day hoping I get used to it. And I am getting better. My hold is so much better with the sweater and the sling. I think it is worth the suffering.
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

In the UK any hardware/DIY shop or motor spares shop will sell chamois leather. It's just a wash leather for cars. Look near shampoo and wax. Cut a piece the right size and stick it onto the cheekpiece. Replace it when needed: this is where prittstick is handy, as the leather peels away easily.

IME an off-the-peg jacket usually needs more than a thin baselayer underneath, but the baselayer will be more comfortable than a cotton t-shirt.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Tim,

I have bunch of those heat gear shirts to wear as baselayer. Do I have to wear that thick shooting sweater? It is nice with elbow patches and feel comfortable if it is not making even hotter!

I won’t mind if I am just hot and not sweating crazy. Real distraction. But with the jacket and sling l really love my hold. I will shoot at 50 and 100 yards outdoors tomorrow. Will find out if I can survive the heat.

I will also start Shooting ‘any sights’ till I get my shooting glass. Thanks!
Tim S

Post by Tim S »

There's no rule that you must wear a sweater, although most shooters wear something thicker than a baselayer. It depends on your jacket, and how well it fits: as I mentioned above, off-the-peg jackets aren't always a perfect fit, and a branded shooting cardigan or sweatshirt fills up the gaps. A sweater will also cushion elbows, and your sling arm. IME the sling padding on many entry level jackets does not go high enough, leaving a gap just where the sling bears.

I'd say that those with a made to measure jacket are more likely to wear only a thin baselayer underneath.
jhd26

Post by jhd26 »

Got it. I am not wearing a name brand jacket. Thanks!