average score

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Scrench wrote:Probably a better gun just makes it easier to shoot good scores, but does that really justify the expense? Does a lazy guy with a great gun shoot about the same as a guy who practices his butt off with a lousy gun?
How about a guy who practces his butt off with a great gun (that suits him)?

I have no doubt that it is possible to shoot a good score with an Izzy. I also have no doubt that it's easier to consistently shoot good scores with a suitable top quality gun.

Unless finances, availability, support or lack of ambition are a problem I can see no reason not to shoot a top quality gun. You might need to find one that suits you, not all will suit everyone, but there is no down side from the shooting point of view.

I cannot understand why some shooters try to make a virtue out of making shooting good scores harder than it needs to be.
Brian M

Post by Brian M »

Very few people in the world for whom Finances aren't a major factor. It's nice to know that a $400 AP and some work to make it fit you right (instead of even More money to buy something that almost fits right and still needs work) can be used to shoot competition-winning scores.

I agree that shooting a higher dollar tool feels nicer and is easier (I love the range of grip adjustment on the LP10 ~ it's the reason I bought it), but it's the person pulling the trigger in the end, not the gun the trigger is attached to.
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Not wanting to get into a huge cheap-gun-versus-expensive-gun battle... but I will offer this defence. I don't use a 46m out of some need to prove a virtue or whatever. I use one because it was not very expensive, shoots very well, and I don't want nor do I feel a need for a very expensive air pistol. It out-shoots me so far, with my personal best twice-scored at 553. It's easy to use and has no problems. It needs no accessories besides a cleaning rod, some cloth patches, and oil: no dangerous (for around the house) and expensive and frankly pesky air tanks to worry about. No thoughts of cylinders needing re-filling to interrupt my enjoyment of the pistol. It's simple and I like it, so there's no reason to change, from my perspective.

Of course it could well be that some shoot this pistol out of some perverse need to express something or other. I couldn't care less. I won't be investing triple the money or more in a fancier pistol any time soon, and don't see why that should worry anyone else.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Gerard wrote:I won't be investing triple the money or more in a fancier pistol any time soon, and don't see why that should worry anyone else.
I don't think it does worry anyone. What does worry me is when people advise new (or newish shooters) that they shouldn't buy a top quality gun.

There is no shooting downside for any shooter, at whatever level, to buy a top quality gun (that suits them).
Gerard

Post by Gerard »

Ah yes, well that is a bit silly, if folks are advising against using good tools. Perhaps it's a fine line though, interpreting such recommendations. And really it does come down to the individual's financial means, perceived needs, and decision making process.
Dev

From IZH 46M TO LP 10

Post by Dev »

Scrench wrote:Dev,

But... what if you had practiced with that quality and intensity with the Izzy? I've read over and over about people who buy a better gun but don't improve their scores very much or at all, and then after some intensive practice do get better, but again, what if they had put that much effort into their original guns? LukeP seems to think you can shoot 570 or so with an Izzy. Probably a better gun just makes it easier to shoot good scores, but does that really justify the expense? Does a lazy guy with a great gun shoot about the same as a guy who practices his butt off with a lousy gun?
Hi,

I can't fault your logic as I do remember that after a point I could out shoot guys who had the LP 10. It is just that the trigger pressure difference between the dry fire and the one when the pistol is loaded seemed to weigh a lot on my mind. I loved the weight of the 46m for a long time and found the LP 10 to be too light :-). I am sure I have read about people who shot 570 plus with a 46m, it is just that I don't have that much training time or the inclination. And I had been lusting for the silver LP 10 for a few years. The moment I had the money, I grabbed it.
That is my logic but everyone is free to choose whichever air pistol they want to enjoy.

Warm Regards,

Dev
mika

Post by mika »

Hi,

I'm not a trainer nor a good enough shooter to make statements about the effects of good vs. budget guns on score development. But from my own experience I can say that it is much more rewarding, even as a beginner, shooting with a gun that you know is not limiting your progress. For me, the difference is not the inherent accuracy of the gun, but rather the grip and the trigger.

What I want to say is that the difference is not necessarily in the gun itself and its ability to shoot good scores. It's the shooter's motivation and confidence in his/her technique and equipment, and I think developing a good technique is somewhat easier with good tools. Myself as an example, I find it rather difficult to keep a good hold with an upright grip, I prever a rather raked one. I'm also not very good at holding a generic grip (like a service pistol or a standard Ruger MKII/III grip, for example) consistently. If those things come with less effort using a good, suitable gun, I can put more effort on sight picture, trigger control etc. And even if I could do all that with a cheap gun (which still probably outshoots me with a good margin), I find shooting a good one so much more enjoyable, that I end up practicing more, find myself much more often dry firing at home etc.

Mika