ISSF 2009 Rules

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The ISSF have now issued a list of major changes

It seems strange that prices changes are considered to be major but trigger weight changes aren't.
Alexander

Changes in German Firearms Law 2003

Post by Alexander »

Richard H wrote:Glad to hear. What were the improvements?

Firstly, the so-called "yellow" licence was significantly expanded (§ 14 Abs. 4 WaffG). It is now a universal acquisition and holding certificate allowing for the purchase of an unlimited number of single-shot rifles and shotguns of any caliber (that includes combined weapons), of all repeating rifles of any design (bolt action, lever action, pump action), of single-shot handguns and percussion revolvers.

Secondly, the procedure for acquisition of semiautomatic pistols and revolvers, repeating and semi-auto shotguns, and semi-auto rifles ("green" licence) has been streamlined and simplified, and has become distinctly easier. It is now the state-recognized shooting federation (§ 15 WaffG) that certifies individual proof of need, which decision is binding for the firearm office (§ 14 Abs. 2, 3 WaffG). Much more flexible and more lenient.
The only thing that I remember them complaining about was that you could no longer store them at home and they had to be stored at clubs, which had to install secured storage.
Must be another country *and* another era :-). The exact reverse is true. Storage in clubhouses was and is possible (and common for club guns), but the usual expected procedure is that each firearms license holder stores his own guns under lock and key (gun cabinet of specified classes of resistance, according to the number of firearms held).
Your description above however would render the situation in Allied-administered West Berlin from 1949 to 1989.

One negative point is the unchanged minimum age for shooting (12 years for shooting with airguns, 14 years for cartridge handguns). However, the granting of age exceptions - either for individual children, or for specific events - is within the mandate of the shooting federations, whose judgement of the case is binding for administration.

Best regards,
Alexander
Moushka

Post by Moushka »

Protest Time
The Protest time for Rifle and Pistol is now ten (10) minutes.

No time for protests - no protests - no problems for the jury members, great.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Moushka wrote:
Protest Time
The Protest time for Rifle and Pistol is now ten (10) minutes.

No time for protests - no protests - no problems for the jury members, great.
I can only assume that the reduction from 20 to 10 minutes is in the interests of getting ready for the Finals - time for shhot-offs, protests, etc. heve to be built in to the programme.

If you cannot make up your mind about putting in a protest in 10 minutes, would an extra 10 minutes make a difference?

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote:Protest Time
If you cannot make up your mind about putting in a protest in 10 minutes, would an extra 10 minutes make a difference?

Spencer
I suspect that's it's more likely it will take you that long to find and see the results. I don't know but are provisional results posted up at a pre determined and published location at a specified time. And how easy is it then to see those results with all the other shooters and officials milling around ?

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

RobStubbs wrote:

Spencer
I suspect that's it's more likely it will take you that long to find and see the results. I don't know but are provisional results posted up at a pre determined and published location at a specified time. And how easy is it then to see those results with all the other shooters and officials milling around ?

Rob.
At an ISSF Championship I would expect the progressive (and the provisional) results to be displayed on-range; usually on a big projector screen.

Provisional results for protest are displayed on the main scoreboard (6.15.4.1.1)

In addition, the shooter signs the Register (6.9.2.4 paper targets) or printer strip (6.11.1.2.2 EST).

Spencer
jipe

Post by jipe »

Richard H wrote:Well it has been under siege in many European countries including Germany. Basically it hangs on a string in many countries, and is just waiting for a knee jerk reaction to some unfortunate incident. I'm sure some of our European friends can chime in and give us some first hand accounts as to how things have changed in their countries in the last 20 years or so.

Indeed laws have evolved in many European countries and each country has still his own gun laws. So its pretty difficult for a foreigner to understand what's going on.

But the assertion that its "hangs on a string" is may be too pessimistic and also mainly a problem in the english speaking European countries.

In many other countries the evolution is to clearly distinguish sport shooters from gun owners and give a status to sport shooter that ease doing their sport (and owing sport weapons).

Such an evolution has some clear advantages, it for instance improves the way sport shooters are perceived and in case of incident will, hopefully, show that the incident is not due to a sport shooter.

The evolution I mentionned is what recently happened in my country (Belgium) where we now have a sport shooter status and licence. In order to obtain it, shooters owning some weapon had to pass a basic theoretical and a basic practical test. I must say that the results was really frightening: quite a lot of people legally owning guns since a long time, even shooters, were ignoring the basic rules to safely manipulate weapons (like just how to safely unload, without firing it, their own pistol once it is loaded and cocked !). So putting some rules/laws is may be not so bad ?
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Spencer wrote:
RobStubbs wrote:

Spencer

Rob.
At an ISSF Championship I would expect the progressive (and the provisional) results to be displayed on-range; usually on a big projector screen.

Provisional results for protest are displayed on the main scoreboard (6.15.4.1.1)

In addition, the shooter signs the Register (6.9.2.4 paper targets) or printer strip (6.11.1.2.2 EST).

Spencer
Well and good for ISSF Championships, but the rules are for ALL matches. My experience, at least for National level matches with paper targets in the U.S., is pretty much what Rob describes.