sight alignment relative to the arm

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

sight alignment relative to the arm

Post by Guest »

What is your sight alignment relative to the arm?

I am modifying my grip with quickwood.

Do you align your sights in line with middle of your arm (pistol a direct extension of arm)? or do you align sights in line with the inner part of your arm (pistol pointing outward slightly)?

I remember reading one Olympic coach said the natural hand grip and natural alignment sight is along the inner part of the arm; therefore, pistol would be pointing slightly outward, not a direct extension through middle part of the arm.

Agree or no? before I set my quickwood to either direction.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

The grip should align the sights with the eye in your chosen stance.

There is no fixed relationship to the arm from person to person.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

David is absolutely correct. The sights must be alligned with the shooting eye. The position of the bones in the arm are usually compensated by the grip altho head position can also change , causing the eye to move over behind the sights. Personally I would hesitate to move my head because of the repeatabiity problem.but it may work for some shooters. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Misny

Post by Misny »

When I first started out, I remember reading that one must align the barrel with his forearm. I took this as something that I should follow exactly, since the instruction was from a top shooter. It took me many years (I'm a slow learner sometimes) to realize that his tip was simply a rough starting point. I discovered that it was important to grip the gun in a manner that allowed my trigger finger to be placed on the gun each and every time in a particular place on the trigger. For me, that is a place where my finger gets the correct amount of leverage to overcome the weight of the trigger without conscience effort. It also allows me to put pressure straight to the rear without disturbing the sights. Minute adjustments were made to allow the pistol to "hang" in the aiming are without any effort from the shoulder, arm, wrist or hand. When I point the gun at the aiming area, the sights are pretty much aligned when I open my eyes. This allows consistent and relatively effortless shooting over an extended period of time. Of course, this takes into account that one has a good physical exercise program in place to build endurance.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

Misny wrote:When I first started out, I remember reading that one must align the barrel with his forearm. I took this as something that I should follow exactly, since the instruction was from a top shooter. It took me many years (I'm a slow learner sometimes) to realize that his tip was simply a rough starting point. I discovered that it was important to grip the gun in a manner that allowed my trigger finger to be placed on the gun each and every time in a particular place on the trigger. For me, that is a place where my finger gets the correct amount of leverage to overcome the weight of the trigger without conscience effort. It also allows me to put pressure straight to the rear without disturbing the sights. Minute adjustments were made to allow the pistol to "hang" in the aiming are without any effort from the shoulder, arm, wrist or hand. When I point the gun at the aiming area, the sights are pretty much aligned when I open my eyes. This allows consistent and relatively effortless shooting over an extended period of time. Of course, this takes into account that one has a good physical exercise program in place to build endurance.
+1. A great description.
Like many other beginning shooters, I was given bad, off the cuff, advice which took me many years to unlearn. Written advice can be particularly bad, since the reader is unable to question the writer. In this case the 'Olympic coach' should have added that this is a reasonable starting point for many shooters.