Steyr 91

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

rayjay

Steyr 91

Post by rayjay »

I just acquired a 91 and need a manual, who do I need to contact ? Also is there a good CO2 tutorial online ??

Anybody compete with one of these back in the day? Any hints and tips??

Thanks
Ray
WRC

Post by WRC »

"... back in the days?" Heck, I still compete with one of these! Fine rifle, few complaints since I got it in '92 or '93. That passage of time explains why I can't figure out where I stashed the manual for it. But it's not too complicated.

Pilkington (pilkguns) or the CMP site www.odcmp.com should have basics of using CO2. Get yourself a scale and be sure to weigh the cylinders. You'll likely get apx 200 shots on one fill, just watch as they start dropping and tearing funny - time to swap cylinders.

Only quirk with that Steyr is lack of proper regulating when the ambient temperature goes below apx 65 deg F. The shots start dropping, and don't quit until the whole rifle & cylinder is at "normal" room temp. Take the cyl off the rifle & keep it warm, if the gun is going to get cold in storage, or travel in the trunk of a car, etc.
PL
rayjay

Post by rayjay »

Great info !!!

Some questions have come to mind. Do I leave the Co2 tank attached to the rifle? Do I store it with the bolt open or closed ?

I got 3 tanks with the rifle. 'A' was in the rifle and had been fired a pretty good bit, B and C were right at 18 oz. I fired another 25 or so rounds from A and the velocity was down to app 460 [ started at 538 ]. It then weighed 15.9 oz. Do these weights sound correct ?

I put in C and the velocity started at app 517 and steadily rose to 570 - 580 after about 35 shots [ I don't have my notebook in front of me is the reason for all the 'abouts' and 'apps' ]. It was a pretty steady 570 to 580 for at least 50 shots.

I then got a wild hair and fired a few Beeman felt pellets soaked in the Beeman solvent [ left over from the 80's ]. The velocity dropped a little and then I got another wild hair and fired a few felt pellets soaked with Ballistol. The velocity jumped up to about 590.
WRC

Post by WRC »

I've always left the cylinder on the rifle, with no ill effects. The bolt would probably be better left slightly ajar to relieve the compression on the breech seal, but again, in my experience, storing it closed has been OK.

About the cylinders themselves - there are weights in grams stamped around the end with the valve. Should be three numbers: for example on mine, they are weight empty (6xx grams), fill capacity, and full weight (72x grams if I remember correctly). Convert to ounces if you need to and use your scale. Definitely rely on those stamped weights, since our cylinders may be different sizes. (18 oz converts to 510 grams, which in my cyls would be way too light.)

Scott Pilkington here may be able to help you understand the velocity fluctuations, since he IS a Steyr dealer :^). I've never chronographed mine.

Have fun! PL
e076085

Steyr 91-happy owner

Post by e076085 »

I shot with one of these all trough college in 1990-94. I was very happy with it. I recently took it out of my safe to shoot in the backyard and found it working just as I remembered. It's an awesome gun. I have the original box and manual I believe. I've put many thousands of rounds through mine and it always worked well, within the limits of it's design!
e076085

Steyr 91-happy owner

Post by e076085 »

I shot with one of these all trough college in 1990-94. I was very happy with it. I recently took it out of my safe to shoot in the backyard and found it working just as I remembered. It's an awesome gun. I have the original box and manual I believe. I've put many thousands of rounds through mine and it always worked well, within the limits of it's design!