Sport Shooting On Shortwave Radio

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

JPOC

Sport Shooting On Shortwave Radio

Post by JPOC »

Here in the USA, we often forget, or are unaware, that target shooting is still a VERY popular sport in many parts of the world, as it once was here. (A century or more ago, major shooting events were front page news here in the USA. They even ran more trains from New York City out to Long Island for the major annual matches and all the newspapers covered the events.)

I was reminded of this recently by an interesting coincidence. First a bit of background. As a ham radio operator, holding an Amateur Extra class license, now and then I also enjoy listening to shortwave radio. Many countries still transmit to various parts of the world, whether to reach their contrymen abroad with news from home, or to spread their ideas worldwide. For example, listen to Radio Habana (Cuba) or (North) Korea Central Broadcasting for a different perspective.

One evening a month or two ago, two separate broadcasts from two parts of the world reminded me of the wide popularity of target shooting and the universality of sportsmanship.

While listening to the news on Radio Prague (Czech Republic), the sports segment started off normally enough with a story about a professional football (soccer) player who had achieved some incredible feat. The second story was about one of that country's best known athletes announcing plans to step back from competition the rest of this year and all of next year, and included some personal "family" information about her and her husband. Also, quite normal. Except the sport was shooting and the athlete was none other than Katie Emmons. In a subsequent email from Matt, I learned that Katie gets coverage in the local tabloids as well. This is just as our football (the funny shaped one) and other professional sports stars are covered here in the USA.

Less than an hour later, on China Radio International, I heard a segment of their program series on the top 25 athletes of the Olympic Games. Each athlete is profiled and interviewed in a segment that lasts several minutes - a long time by broadcasting standards. The segment I heard covered... you guessed it... Matt and Katie Emmons. They were interviewed together. Topics included both of them adding to their Olympics medal collections, and of course Matt's 3x40 events at the last two Olympics. Rather than emphasize the "failure" aspects of the events (as would happen here on ESPN, et al), the interviewer's comments, and the sound clips from Matt and Katie that the interviewer chose to air, all placed emphasis on sport, striving, and sportsmanship. In all, it was a very inspiring interview and story. (Matt and Katie were mobbed by admiring fans in Bejing while they were there. The locals knew who the top athletes were in all the sports!)

Though it may indeed be only coincidence that both stories aired on the same night, it does demonstrate the popularity of the sport in many parts of the world. After all, that is two more stories than I have heard on shooting aired here in the USA! ;-)

Be safe and have fun... on the range!

---

Curious about shortwave radio? Go to www.passband.com and buy their book. Then buy a Sony SW7600GR for about $140 or so. Enjoy! Curious about ham radio? go to www.arrl.org for information.
methosb

Post by methosb »

I think the Chinese one might be the same as an interview with them that is on Youtube. Intro is in Chinese but the rest is in English.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EKarDq2RYHg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2AvvliH4IDY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5kMCCki7Xo
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

-.- .--- ....- -.-. ..- .-- -.. . .- .- ....- --.-
Rob

Post by Rob »

The first thing I do when I reload is turn on my shortwave radio. (SP-600). Great pastime.
JPOC

Post by JPOC »

Bill:

- -. -..- --.- ... --- --... ...-- .- .- ....- --.- -.. . -.- .--- ....- -.-. ..- .--

Rob:

Ah! Another boat anchor fan! I have an HQ-180AC that I 'm getting up and running. Love that old warm glow of the tubes! For SWL I also use a Drake R8B and on the road I use a Sony SW7600GR withg AN-LP1 and/or an SW100S. Yes, old and new!

methosb:

Thanks for the links! I've only had a chance to partially view one of them... great stuff!

Thanks all!

JP
Bill177

Another ham

Post by Bill177 »

de W2BLC www.w2blc.us and www.radiotelegraphy.net

Been on the air for over 40 years.
Jack Milchanowski

Post by Jack Milchanowski »

KG5FI here

73's
Ed Hall

Post by Ed Hall »

Darn, my code's a bit rusty, but so are my rigs...

Take Care, 73's
de Ed, KA2FWJ
Air Force Shooting Homepage
Bullseye (and International) Competition Things
MarkR

de KØITC

Post by MarkR »

Extra class as well.

Collins gear here! As well as over 100 bugs/keys.

Hmmm what to buy - another "M-2A" or another pistol? Decisions, decisions!

73 all!
de Mark KØITC
DXCC DXCC-CW WAC etc.etc. etc. QRV since 1976
n4jee

de n4jee

Post by n4jee »