Civilized indoor ranges around Detroit/Windsor Ontario?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dante

Civilized indoor ranges around Detroit/Windsor Ontario?

Post by dante »

Ok... I have major excitement. AW93 Light arrived today (it was not supposed to be a light but turned out to be just right). Trigger is insanely smooth and light. Still waiting on the iron sights - it's almost magic time.

But... and this is a big but. Last week I was shooting my ancient Gold Cup at a passable but dark indoor range, and just after hitting 3 tens in a row at 50' (really good compared to my normal shooting one-handed), I got hit with a ricochet (not mine). Not hard, not a lot of lead (maybe 1/2 the weight of a 22 bullet total), but I ended up with a very nasty welt, a little bit of bleeding, and a totally shot set of nerves (the whole thing was a lot like getting shot with a BB gun at relatively close range). This was a range with a 50 yard trap, so I imagine it had to be the guy shooting the 10mm with hollow points.

Now that I have a 22 again (I sold my others to buy the FWB), are there any good ranges in the Detroit area?

I don't think we have any clubs anywhere near here, so it may just be a bad choice of commercial ranges. But I would like to (re)train in an environment that (a) is free of idiotic, unsafe gun renters waving the latest Bruce Willis fantasy weapon around; (b) does not put you on a line with S&W .500 pistol shooters and flash-suppressed .308 rifles; and (c) has good lighting at the 50 foot at 25-yard distances. At this point, I'm willing to go across to Windsor if that's what it takes.

Ideas?
Russ

@

Post by Russ »

@
Last edited by Russ on Thu Mar 24, 2011 2:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
SP 20 user

Ranges

Post by SP 20 user »

Do you live in the Detroit area? If so there is a very active Bullseye league in the winter months. I agree with you I have visited area public indoor ranges and will no longer, to many "Rambos" and un safe shooters.I shoot with the Oakland County Sportsmans Club. Jack
dante

Re: Ranges

Post by dante »

SP 20 user wrote:Do you live in the Detroit area? If so there is a very active Bullseye league in the winter months. I agree with you I have visited area public indoor ranges and will no longer, to many "Rambos" and un safe shooters.I shoot with the Oakland County Sportsmans Club. Jack
Jack -

Yeah, unfortunately, I live almost all the way down to the river (nice view...) and getting to either the Sportsmen's Congress or the Sportsmen's Club would pretty much make it two hours of travel time to every measure of shooting time. Maybe I just need to invest in a flack jacket and double-up on the ear plugs. Or maybe set up in the woods on Belle Isle (ok, just kidding).

Dante