Free pistol for short fingers.

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LesJ

Free pistol for short fingers.

Post by LesJ »

I wonder what free pistol will work for shooter with short fingers. From my own expiriance Morini, Hammerli 160 worked for me and Pardini GPS 75 only marginaly. I am in the market for free pistol and do not want to make a mistake of getting pistol that I won't be able to use.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I have a wide hand, but short fingers. I need a 95 mm grip and I had to cut the grip away near the trigger so my finger wouldn't touch there on my Hammerli 160. I am going to order a grip for the TOZ that I bought earlier this year. I see no problem with that pistol and my short fingers.
Ben
LesJ

Post by LesJ »

Thanks for reply.
What grip are you using on TOZ right now and which one are you planning on getting?
TOZ was on my short list till I red somewhere that it reguires longer fingers.
Last edited by LesJ on Mon Nov 17, 2008 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Noel

Post by Noel »

FWIW, I have fairly long fingers, wear a size large glove, and use a TOZ with original grips in the large size. I was surprised to find that I had to slide the trigger almost all the way back to get it comfortable for me. It's hard for me to imagine a hand that would be comfortable with the trigger in the middle of the range of adjustment, let alone even further forward.
Fred Mannis

Post by Fred Mannis »

I had a Toz with a Rink grip and sold it after two years. I have short fingers and could not comfortably manage the trigger. I now have a Morini CM84E with medium Rink and a Pardini K22 with small Rink grips. Both fit me well.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

LesJ wrote:Thanks for reply.
What grip are you useing on TOZ right now and which one are you planning on getting?
TOZ was on my short list till I red somewhere that it reguires longer fingers.i
My TOZ has a stock, broken grip. It is way too small for me, however, with it broken and the shelf removed, I can get my hand in there and reach the trigger. I haven't shot it, other than to test fire the thing.

I did get to hold Tom Amlie's TOZ with a Marschal Grip { http://marschalgrips.com/?content=Match_grips-models } and it felt great! I am planning to order one of them.

Maybe I am not a good judge for you on finger length. I have short fingers for my hand my size, but I don't have stubby fingers. Perhaps I have a little longer reach than you do.
Ben
Mark Briggs

Post by Mark Briggs »

My hand is a "medium" in just about all respects. I've owned a few TOZ35's and have always had to have the trigger moved all the way to the rear of its travel, and still struggled. My current TOZ grip has not much more wood than the thickness of a target around the rear of the frame and it's just about right for me to get my finger on the trigger, with the trigger moved all the way to the rear.

The Morini CM84E seems to offer a little better "reachability" for the trigger - with a medium grip I can reach the trigger comfortably with it positioned forward of the rear stop, maybe as much as 30% of its travel away from its rearward-most position.

In contrast, my Hammerli 150 with Rink grips has the trigger adjusted to approximately the mid-range of its travel. This is the most comfortable trigger finger position of any free pistol I've shot.

As always, your mileage may vary! ;-)
jsealc21

Post by jsealc21 »

I,too have a Toz,and apparently short fingers as well !! I took the grips off the pistol and relieved the internal routing for the metalwork,and redrilled the screwholes,in a directly rear ward direction ,in effect moving the whole grip forward in relationship to the trigger.I feel this should be done first ,as most grips have 1/4 t0 1/2 inch of extra wood in the fork area between thumb and forefinger. Having maximised the forward positioning of the grips,you can now start modifying the exterior of the grip. Screw holes can be plugged with a similar wood plug. Me myself,am of the school of "bondo",so appearance is not a major consideration. A caveat...I am a 75-80% shooter,who loves to fiddle and "improve" things !!! good luck