advice for son with astigmatism having hard time with weapon

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ohno

advice for son with astigmatism having hard time with weapon

Post by ohno »

my son is in basic training, says he's having a hard time with weapons
training. he has astigmatism, anybody have any advice i can give him? tips or techniques.
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

I don't think anything short of a proper prescription lens for his shooting eye will help much. Face it- if you can't see the sights, what trick will make up for that?
Irod

??

Post by Irod »

I have astigmatism and miopia together, I dont´n have problems using glases. Far better with contact glases.

Good luck
Rover

Post by Rover »

If that is, in fact, his problem they should have already issued him glasses. It would be counter-productive to do otherewise.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

What he needs is a cylindrical correction. Just a question how does he know it's astigmatism that is causing his problems?
Renback

Post by Renback »

Richard H wrote:What he needs is a cylindrical correction. Just a question how does he know it's astigmatism that is causing his problems?
Got the same problem. I found a good optician, providing med with shootingglasses from http://www.knobloch-schiessbrillen.de/allframes.html tuned to focus on the front sight. Also use a irisshutter. Without the irisblender I see about 4 targets.
I can actually get a clear focus with the irisshutter on the target and the sights at the same time.
My vision is really f-d up. But I manage to correct it with my glasses.
Also use a yelllow filter indoors. Helps alot.
(when looking at the moon without glasses I se about 5 moons i a row. So I guess My sight is really crappy)
sportshooter

Post by sportshooter »

1. Optic examination.

2. Get the lens that are best for his condition.

3. Learn to always keep focus at the front sight.

4. Shoot at blank targets and when groupings are consistently tight, switch to real target. This procedure often speeds up the progress considerable.
ColinC

Post by ColinC »

I too have an astigmatism which is corrected by my prescription glasses and in the lens on my shooting glasses.
The correction for my 35 degree astigmatism does not mean that what I see is the same as a "normal" shooter (is there such a thing?). For instance, if I use an air pistol used by a person with normal vision, I have to move the sights about 15 clicks to the right and 10 up before I fine tune with my sighters.
If you have your son fitted with shooting glasses, make sure that the optometrist fits the lens and that he marks the top of the lens. On occasions I have found myself shooting tight groups elsewhere than the bull, when I haven't moved my sights. The problem is usually that the lens has rotated in its holder. With the top marked I can return it to its correct position with out having to go back to the optometrist.