How to fit adjustable International-style grips?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
dante

How to fit adjustable International-style grips?

Post by dante »

Ok... I have a set of AW93 M/L grips out. My hand measures 90mm across the wide part, but I have very narrow wrists. By the numbers, the M/L grip should be the right size... but:

If I bring the palm rest all the way up to the top at the back and lowest possible point in the front, it just contacts my hand where it tapers toward the wrist. Should an adjustable grip be fit so this will be a tight fit somewhere in the adjustment range, or does the support depend primarily on the weight of the gun pitching down and pushing the shelf into the wrist? Grips in general seem to be sized by the knuckles, which are at the front end of the grip.

I am trying to figure out whether these AW93 grips are too big or not - and this is similar to (but not as bad as) the problem that I had with Rink for my Beretta 89GS, although the angle of the palm rest is much less adjustable on Rink grips. I think L Rinks may just have been too big (although Thomas Rink took the measurement from a tracing).

Thanks
Dante
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You need to remember grips are made for the average hand, and almost none of us have totally average hands. If the palm shelf doesn't fit properly then you may need to take wood off it and/or fill it so that it does fit. Just remember to be mindful of the rules with any changes you make.

Rob.
Shootist

Post by Shootist »

I have never in over 30yrs of shooting found a grip that fits - made by Rink, Morini or any

I would start with the grip that when lifting the gun with closed eyes I consistently get as close as possible to the correct sighting line. The whole aim of having a custom grip is to get a grip that fits the same and gives the same result every time you lift the gun. (front and rear sights aligned and no need to adjust wrist angle)

Fitting a grip is a long and tedious task- and you will have to use some sort of filler as well as files and other shaping tools to get a good result
Personally I use felt buttons (the kind u use on furniture) that I shape when I just try out where to add material then I use plastic wood filler to get the end result I want.

From there its one step at the time -:)
This is what I do - with a lot of trials and test shooting in between every adjustment - but do it in this sequense

1, Palmrest - its legal to have curve to fit the underside of your hand - and your hand is not flat -:) - the text on picture reads "Palmrest make this curve aprx 3 mm deep"

2, Angle of the gun - does it point straight? left/right?
Be careful to add remove in the correct area of the grip

Left text on picture reads: " this part of the grip may be straightened" referring to the extreme "heels" some grips have from factory

Right text reads: "Grind/file to fit" Personally I don't make finger grooves very deep.

3, tilt of the gun up/down?

Unless you have a Walther SSP, you must make adjustments on the grip angle to tilt the gun - Here I normally use bedding compound inside the grip rather than on the outside of a otherwise good fitting grip
Last edited by Shootist on Sat Nov 22, 2008 2:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest Twenty

Grips

Post by Guest Twenty »

Back in the 1990s I met a Rapid Fire shooter here in the US. He told me a story of how he flew to Russia (USSR back then) to shoot Rapid Fire. He said that one of the Russian coaches grabbed his gun, removed the grips, and began to hack off the wrap around portion of the grip. He was horrified. Eventually they returned his gun to him - with grips - and he was thrilled. Is this possible? Can someone make dramatic changes to grips and return them to the shooter and all is fine?
buonvento

Post by buonvento »

x Shootist: Could you translate in English the sentences inside the photos?
Many thanks
Luigi
Muffo

Post by Muffo »

I would say. If possible. Take it to some one who has experience and get them to fit it for you.
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

buonvento wrote:x Shootist: Could you translate in English the sentences inside the photos?
Many thanks
Luigi
Here you go...good thing it's in Swedish so I can help:

Underhand stöd skär ner ca 3 mm: Underhand brace (or support) cut down about 3 mm

Denna del av kolven kan med fördel slipas i en rak linje: This part of the stock (or grip) can as a benefit be sanded in a straight line.

Slipas till passning: Sand until it is suitable

Oh... Now that I read the original post, I see that he's already translated. Well... Here you have another slightly different translation. In my opinion, his translation is better English; mine is more literal, word for word.