Sighting in FWB 300S

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

John Sullivan

Sighting in FWB 300S

Post by John Sullivan »

I'm getting back into target shooting after many years. I recently bought an FWB 300S and am not quite sure how to sight in at 10M. I know the dials are right/left & up down but don't quite know which is which or the directions. When I've played around with a several clicks in different directions I don't see much change-- for example I seem to be high and right of the bullseye. Any suggestions?
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Top: Counterclockwise is up, CW is down. Side: Forward is left, back is right.

10m with very fine clicks, you're probably going to have to crank them quite a bit, especially if the sights came off a smallbore gun.
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

You need to try big changes to see where the shots fall to get an idea. 10 or more clicks should show you which way the sights move but essentially the sights move such that if shots are falling too high you turn them in the 'H' direction, and if they are going too far to the left you turn them in the 'L' direction. I actually shot my 300 for the first time in a couple of years at the weekend so had to work it all out again for myself. The best advise is to write it down and stick it in your gun box for future reference.

Rob.
M.Meijer

Clicks on 300 S diopter

Post by M.Meijer »

Hello John,

One click on this diopter sight is supposed to have an effect of half a millimeter at 10 meters distance. So start winding if you have to cover a few centimeters!
And "bei" can be translated as "add", in the sense that adding R (right) means your shots will fall more to the left.

If you ever can lay eyes on a german book, you will notice the lettering on the back of it is 180° different what you (and I) are used to.
It is all a matter of definition, and you soon get the hang of it.
Enjoy your rifle; it is thé classic performer!

Regards,
Michael Meijer
TWP

Post by TWP »

For the German target rifles I teach my shooters to use the right hand rule of thumb.

Take your right hand, have your thumb point the direction you want your shots to move. (ie if you are shooting to the right and you want your shots to move to the left, you point your thumb to the left.) Your fingers will point the direction to turn the sight knob. It works for up, down, left and right.

As others have said it takes quite a few clicks to move your point of impact. Depending upon your sights 5 clicks will move you about 1 ring on the air rifle target.
robf

Post by robf »

yep, for German gear, think of it like a screwdriver.

give it a turn and see what happens... you can always turn it back :)
miloman

Post by miloman »

Remember it's shooting to PoI on a rising trajectory.

If I go from 7yds to 6yds mine shoots low and takes about 8 clicks.

Going from 7yds to 10m it's high and takes about 23 clicks to bring back down.

That's with the standard original equipment sights - if you've got modified raised sights or sight blocks then it's significantly different.

The sight on my FWB 601 by comparison is about 13 and 28 clicks respectively and for those in our various local leagues who shoot with the latest PC rifles with finer diopeter sights, 7yd to 10m can be around 40 clicks!

The FWB 300s is the best!
robf

Post by robf »

going from 10m to 6yds i have to change sights as i run out of adjustment on the walther sights...

the 7020 rearsight i has will just do it.

it's exaggerated by risers.