Shooting Jacket and Fit

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Misny

Shooting Jacket and Fit

Post by Misny »

I think I read somewhere that an ill-fitting shooting jacket is worse than no shooting jacket at all. How tight should the jacket fit? Should it be tighter around the hips and chest than the middle? I sweat a lot. The Cordura jackets seem bulky and hot. The material seems to bunch up in the shoulder pocket. Are the "entry level" jackets any good? I thought that being thinner material, that they might be cooler and not bunch up in the shoulder. I've been told by a very good shooter that the leather jackets are the best, but with their inability to breathe, I don't think they would be the best "fit" for me.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Depends on what positions you shoot. If its just standing then a double canvas will give the best support. If its 3 position, then a canvas/leather mix might be better. There really is no support in all leather jackets.
If you shoot just prone then all leather will be fine.

As for fit, always wear the jacket with the same under garments you shoot with. If you have over heating problems, use one of the body cool shooting vests such as the Cold Winner.
The jacket must not be over tight in any area and the ISSF rules say that a degree of overlap [forgot the measurement] of the front edges must be
achievable.

Bunching up round the shoulder does happen but in the standing position this helps to clamp the butt in place.

Made to measure is the best option, but some off the shelf jackets can be a good fit.
Peepsight
Misny

Post by Misny »

Thanks for the reply. I'm just shooting standing right now. Should the buttons be moved so that the hips and chest are the most snug, or should it be about the same top to bottom?
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Fit the buttons where you think it best for your comfort. Just punch a new hole with a steel spike. Keep buttons and eyelets in line and remember the ISSF rules on the amount of over lap you must have.
Peeps
GrayJay22

overlap

Post by GrayJay22 »

When you move the buttons, make sure that they are at least 10cm away from the edge. At equipment checks, they will measure to make sure there is at least a 7cm overlap.

Hope this helps,

GrayJay
Last edited by GrayJay22 on Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

When you move the buttons, make sure that they are not more than 10cm away from the edge. At equipment checks, they will measure to make sure there is at least a 7cm overlap.

Please read the appropriate rules
Marcus

Post by Marcus »

When you move the buttons, make sure that they are not more than 10cm away from the edge. At equipment checks, they will measure to make sure there is at least a 7cm overlap.

Please read the appropriate rules
GrayJay22

Post by GrayJay22 »

My apologies; indeed, the buttons should be no more than 10cm away from the edge.

*A classic example of what happens when I am tired :)
Moushka

Post by Moushka »

peepsight wrote: ... If you have over heating problems, use one of the body cool shooting vests such as the Cold Winner.
Peepsight
Sorry, Cold Winner is not a cooling textile. This is very often mistaken.

See what the producer writes:
"The COLDWINNER™ has been invented from a an idea, which has needed the association of two different materials : le COMFORTO® et le THERMOLITE BASE®. Having only material has enabled to improve the fabric performances."

about THERMOLITE:

"Thermolite®, inspired by mother nature.

When DuPont scientists created Thermolite®, nature was their role model. They discovered that polar bears have fur with "hollow" hairs for greater insulation. From this simple discovery, Thermolite® hollow-core fibre were born.
Hollow-core fibre provide Thermolite® fabrics with built-in insulation and wicking.
Hollow-core fibre technology provides the most warmth at the lightest weight. The larger surface area allows for faster evaporation by speeding moisture away from the skin to the surface of the fabric where it can evaporate more quickly.
Thermolite® is the foundation of the Thermolite® Warmth system™.

read more: http://www.advansa.com/fibres-yarns-en/ ... s/view?set_

le comforto:"CARACTERISTIQUES

Différents articles ont été créés et répondent à l’appellation COMFORTO :
Il s’agit d’un concept de tricotage dont le but est l’élimination très rapide de la sueur dégagée par la peau et évacuée par le textile.

This means, that this material transported sweat very quick from the skin to the surface.

Cold winner was tested in extrem cold conditions:
REPORT OF THE "COLDWINNER™" EXTREME COLD RESISTING TESTS
Canada - QUEBEC 21/25 February 2001

read more: http://www.coldwinner.com/index_gb.htm

But! Shooting clothing is not breathable, therefore the moisture cannot go through! Sweat has to be soaked of by fibers like cotton.
Textiles, which are very good for active sports must not also be good for shooting.

Clothing with cooling effect needs special technology like PCM technology. There are just a few fabrics, which really can cool a shooter..