Air pistol/rifle directly to bulk tank?

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Oz

Air pistol/rifle directly to bulk tank?

Post by Oz »

Just a curiosity... has anyone ever hooked their pistol or rifle directly to their bulk tank? I'm still manually pumping each shot, which doesn't bother me at all. I'm thinking it's going to a hassle swapping and refilling the little tanks all the time when shooting 120+ pellets per night.

If one stood the bulk tank next to their shooting position, a 5 foot hose hooked directly up shouldn't get in the way of shooting, would it? I don't know how stiff that hose would be.

Oz
David Levene

Re: Air pistol/rifle directly to bulk tank?

Post by David Levene »

Oz wrote:I'm thinking it's going to a hassle swapping and refilling the little tanks all the time when shooting 120+ pellets per night.
What are you using that would need more than one cylinder change to complete 150 shots. Not exactly much hassle.

Why would you want to practice/train with a different setup to your match arrangement when such little hassle is involved.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Oh, well if you can get 150 shots per fill, that's no problem. For some reason I was under the impression that there were only 80-90 shots per tank for most pistols and rifles.

Oz
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Oz wrote:Oh, well if you can get 150 shots per fill, that's no problem. For some reason I was under the impression that there were only 80-90 shots per tank for most pistols and rifles.
You'll probably find that only the "light" cylinders won't reach the 120-150 shot mark.

Even with those though, if you start with a full cylinder you'll only have to do one change during the session. That'll probably take well under a minute.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Its an interesting idea but highly impractical as for one thing it would effect the guns balance, it would increase the guns weight and be way out side the ISSF rules on gun dimension as the pipe would be seen as part of the gun.
The whole idea of a CA weapon was to keep it completely independent of external power sources or manually operated power sources [side lever],
and most importantly, no effort required for each shot loading sequence.
I would be a little concerned with a gun hooked up directly to a scuba tank.
All the manufacturers have designed the air cylinder to contain enough air under pressure to shoot at least 200+ shots at the 10m match velocities. Some rifles give considerably more shots than this.

Peeps
Fred Mannis

Re: Air pistol/rifle directly to bulk tank?

Post by Fred Mannis »

Oz wrote: I'm thinking it's going to a hassle swapping and refilling the little tanks all the time when shooting 120+ pellets per night.
Wow! You are shooting over 2 hours per night, several nights per week? And an equal amount of dry fire time?
Oz

Post by Oz »

Fred Mannis wrote: Wow! You are shooting over 2 hours per night, several nights per week? And an equal amount of dry fire time?
I'm working up to 120, currently only 100. So yes, 2 hours every night and no, not enough dry fire. I found someone willing to coach me, he saw me shoot and requested that I do 120 shots per night to first build up some endurance. I also believe that he owns stock in a pellet manufacturer.

After I get the kids to bed I train from 2200 to 2400. Within that time there is 15 minutes of dry fire. While at work I get another 15-20 minutes of dry fire. I know I need to to find more time for it.

Anyway, I'm saving for a new pistol, but for some reason I thought they were only good for 80 shots. It sounds like changing tanks isn't much of a hassle and if most tanks have 150 shots in them, it's a double moot point.

BTW - I'm assuming that an LP10 will do ~150 per tank? Do the blue and gold tanks hold as air as the silver? LOL...

Oz
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

And if you are saving to buy an LP 10 you'll get two cylinders with the
pistol - so thats around 300 shots.
Spend your mental engergy on your shooting not trivial things like intricately silly plans to supply more air to your gun.
pgfaini

Post by pgfaini »

John, I find the last part of your answer to Oz, both demeaning and insulting. He was just thinking a bit "outside the box", and soliciting opinions. If nobody'd ever done this, "target shooting" would consist of competing locally, in rock throwing and spear chucking.
Paul
John Hadjichristou

Post by John Hadjichristou »

Yes, re reading it I was a bit terse so my apologise.
Nevertheless along with his committment for two hours a night, he has a coach who you would think he could ask about things like this. Or a fellow shooter or the gun store where he's been looking at a new purchase.
Oz

Post by Oz »

Thanks Paul.

---

Since I've only been doing this for 3 months, it is very foreign to me. I have relied on this group for information to get me to where I am and most of it has been useful and appreciated.

Think back to your first day on campus in college. There are many dumb questions the Freshmen ask. There are upper classmen who say "there is no such thing as a dumb question, please ask away!" And there are upper classmen who laugh and ridicule. I expect the same from some in this group, so no surprise.

Looking back, I could have asked my coach, but there was no need because I was confident that there were only 80 shots per fill. I also know that he is no expert in unusual high-pressure fittings and adapters. My impression was that this expertise DOES exist in this forum, so I asked. And yep, it turned out to be a dumb question.

Also, I'm also not going to be able to buy anything until February, so I haven't engaged a retailer on any level yet.

Now that I have correct information, the original question does sound silly. But hey, that's me, the wide-eyed "Freshman". For those so inclined, haze away. For everyone else, thanks so much for all of your help. I'm sure I'll ask another dumb question at some point, so my apologies in advance.

Oz
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Oz

Its no big deal, just think back to your original question, think it through again and I'm sure you will see all the good and bad points that your question raised, you then can draw your own conclusions.
All we have done is give you some guidance.

Never be afraid to ask a question, we all had to start some where.

Peeps
TWP

Post by TWP »

I've never done it.

But I've seen it done at a scout camp that was shooting CO2 rifles. They had a bulk tank plumbed into 6 rifles. It really kept the firing line moving without having to stop and change/fill cylinders.

I don't think it's necessary for individual practice.
Bowman26

Post by Bowman26 »

Some guys connect to tanks directly alot but they are shooting the big bore air rifles that get 3 shots a fill. So they just pipe a line from the tank to the bench. Not exactly target shooting I know but it is done.

The LP10 is a very nice pistol you will enjoy it but never be as accurate as it either lol..

Bo
Alex Eufemio

Post by Alex Eufemio »

Fellow shooters and "champions to be", won't a rifle with a tube dangling below it to a tank have a very unwieldy balance for precision shooting. I would understand if the objective is to provide shooting fun in a shooting gallery where one shoots them plastic cowboy and indians or even toy soldiers.

I would suggest that Oz maintains the balance of his equipment so he can shoot better and better groups and someday be a champ that we all aspire to be.