New Barrel

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

BartP

New Barrel

Post by BartP »

I have a new benchmark barrel. I need to break it in to some degree. I have conflicting professional opinions on how many shots to fire right of the bat to get the barrel to it's "true" accuracy AND the cleaning process along the way.

So far the recommendations have been to fire a least 2500 rounds through it - cleaning every 4-500 along the way. Another is that the barrel will/should do marvelously right of the bat if it is a good one.

What's everybody's view on this? Thanks.
TWP

Post by TWP »

Why don't you contact the barrel manufacturer and see what they say?

I would think they would know their barrels the best and what if any break in they need.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

As an aside, the thought of needing 2500 rounds to break in a .22 seems absurd to me, especially given the fact that many consider 5000-10000 rounds the useful life of a smallbore barrel.

I will say that the rifle I shot in college, a 1913 action with a Lilja barrel, grouped as well after 50 rounds as it did after 2000.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Worth mentioning is that with any new barrel, or following any smithing on a firearm, thorough cleaning to remove any swarf, compound, dirt, etc. is a wise move.

Spencer
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

hey where did you hear that most smallbore barrels only last 5000-10000 rounds.

lax
WarWagon

Re: hey

Post by WarWagon »

laxratnd wrote:hey where did you hear that most smallbore barrels only last 5000-10000 rounds.

lax
Lilja as one source. Not that they only last 5000-10000 rounds, but thats where they say accuracy may begin to trail off.

Not that I ever noticed. Heck, it took well over 100k before I noticed a difference in my factory Anschutz barrel, and that was mostly on the 50m reduced UIT targets that gave cause for "alarm."
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

That just seems a little short barrel life.

lax
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

My experience is 10,000 rounds is short. I put at least 15,000 rounds through a used Winchester 52 and it was still shooting inside Xs at 100 yards when I was stupid enough to waste dough and replace the barrel.

I forget if it was a barrel maker or a gunsmith, however, I was told more .22 rimfire barrels are ruined using improper cleaning methods than are shot out.
WarWagon

Post by WarWagon »

Freepistol wrote:My experience is 10,000 rounds is short. I put at least 15,000 rounds through a used Winchester 52 and it was still shooting inside Xs at 100 yards when I was stupid enough to waste dough and replace the barrel.

I forget if it was a barrel maker or a gunsmith, however, I was told more .22 rimfire barrels are ruined using improper cleaning methods than are shot out.
Thats correct. You often see wear at the crown because of people who use a back and forth motion with brushes, rather than going from one end only.
laxratnd

hey

Post by laxratnd »

Then again there are some well known smallbore gunsmiths who say the best way to clean an anschutz smallbore rifle is to pull the brush back and forth. As studies done with anschutz show the best results.

lax