Hammerli 480 Conversion

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
ScottT

Hammerli 480 Conversion

Post by ScottT »

Hi,

I own two Hammerli 480 air pistols.

They both suffer leaks and I am too tired from pumping them up.

Can anyone advise me on where to buy a conversion kit for these guns to upgrade to a removeable air cylinder?

I love shooting them, but pumping is growing tiresome.

I have a gunsmith ready to do the work for me here in Australia, so I am very keen to buy the kits/parts needed to fix these guns once and for all.

Thanks for any help or advice any of you can provide.

Best Regards
Scott
pilkguns
Site Admin

Post by pilkguns »

I believe the only person in the world who has the Hammerli tooling to convert the 480 to removable cylinders is Larry Carter in Maine. The 480 as it is cannot be repaired in its current configuration. Most if the 480s in the US have been converted to K2 or even AP40 cylinders.

the orginial configuration will be rare some day.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Thanks, I will drop then an email.
Mike M.

Post by Mike M. »

That's sad...my 480 is still holding up OK, and the large tank is a decided advantage. Not that I'd take it over a Steyr or Morini, but the high capacity is convenient.
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

Yes Mike the tank capacity is a great benefit.

I have a few options to look at now.

I have found a chap that does a non-removable aluminium cylinder, as well as the Larrys Guns option.

If anyone else has any information that can help it would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Scott
Don

Post by Don »

I had a Hammerli 480K with removable air cylinder. After about three years, the valving in it died, and I returned it to Larry Carter at Larry's Guns for repair. After several failed repair attempts, Larry replaced the 480K valving with AP40 valving. Consequently, the AP40 valving might be a solution for you, and it might be worth discussing with your gunsmith in Australia. An equally big problem might be the non-removable tank on your 480s, however. I don't know how/if the AP40 valving would fit with that tank.

The repaired pistol worked well for about another three years, when the AP40 valving died. I returned the pistol to Larry again for repair. Due to dificulties in obtaining repair parts from Hammerli/Walther/UMEREX (whomever currently owns and operates the Hammerli name), Larry had the pistol for 11 months before he could obtain the requisite repair parts from Europe, repair it and return it to me. The repaired pistol works well, but I have serious doubts about Hammerli as a result of my experince.

This situation was the subject on an earlier post I made here regarding Hammerli support of their products. I have no problem with Larry, but you would think that Hammerli could manage to support their factory authorized repair facility in the United States -- since the AP40 is carried in the Hammerli catalogue as a current product -- if they were really interested in their product and selling it in the U.S.

Regards,
Don
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

I have the AP40 parts being shipped to me now from Larrys.

I will keep you informed how the upgrade goes.

Cheers
Scott
Oz

Post by Oz »

ScottT,

Did you have any success with your conversion? A local gun shop has a 480 in excellent condition and they might be willing to wheel and deal... maybe as little as $350 (US).

I spoke with Larry's Guns about the pistol and was told that it would require the AP40 valving. They also told me about their difficulties in trying to get another 480 working (without the AP40 valving) and mentioned that had to wait 11 months for parts. Now I know who's gun that was!

Oz
ScottT

Post by ScottT »

The conversion went perfectly.

I received the conversion kit from Larrys in about 5 days from ordering.

My local gunsmith (1000 kilometres away but I trust him best) converted the air pistol for us.

My daughters first competition back with the "new" gun was great with her shooting a new personal best of 348/400.

I am incredably proud of her achievements as she is just 12 years old (13 tomorrow) and has been shooting for just 11 months.

I can thoroughly recommend the 480 once the conversion has been done.

Massive thanks must go to Larrys and Beemans in Brisbane, Australia.

Good luck Oz
pATRICKb.

Hammerli 480

Post by pATRICKb. »

Oz wrote:ScottT,

Did you have any success with your conversion? A local gun shop has a 480 in excellent condition and they might be willing to wheel and deal... maybe as little as $350 (US).

I spoke with Larry's Guns about the pistol and was told that it would require the AP40 valving. They also told me about their difficulties in trying to get another 480 working (without the AP40 valving) and mentioned that had to wait 11 months for parts. Now I know who's gun that was!

Oz
Wrong guy, it was my 480 and I blew the tank seal in about a week. I am going for the AP40 conversion now.
Pat
Scott T

Post by Scott T »

The only problem that occurred suring my conversion was the guy didnt lubricate the regualtor.

Once it was returned to him and lubricated, all has been 100%
lesleyQ

Post by lesleyQ »

Hello!

I also have a Hammerli 480 that has stopped holding air... am rather sad about it. I live in Vancouver Canada and have been rather unsuccessful in finding someone to fix it (further sadness!).

I spoke with Larry's guns in Maine... he said parts depending it would still probably be 3 or 4 months (WHAT?!?) before I get it back, and I have some concern trying to send the gun over the border.
Pls forgive my ignorance on the subject - could someone enlighten me as to the diff between the current (original) setup and this AP40 you all speak of? Would I still be able to use my floor pump? Trying to change as little as possible. I use it for modern pentathlon, and the costs of this fine sport add up awefully fast!

Thanks!
Lesley
topgun10x

hammerli 480k

Post by topgun10x »

I AM A COMETITIVE BULLS EYE SHOOTER. I BOUGHT THIS GUN YEARS AGO AND USED IT SEVERAL TIMES AND IT IS FINE. I WENT TO USE IT THIS YEAR AND THE AIR CYLENDER WOULD NOT HOLD AIR ANY MORE. I SENT IT TO LARRYS GUNS IN MAINE TO BE REPAIRED AND THEN AM GOING TO SELL IT, I JUST DONT HAVE THE TIME ANYMORE TO SHOOT IT. I AM NOT SHURE WHAT I PAID FOR IT NOR DO I HAVE AN IDEA WHAT TO SELL IT FOR. ALSO HAVE THE 3 STAGE HAND PUMP FOR IT. A STORAGE CASE WITH PELLETS AND OTHER THINGS, THANKS PAUL
Don

Post by Don »

LesleyQ

The current (?) Hammerli air pistol is the AP40. The valving is compatible with the 480K. If you have the replacement done, you will need AP40 air cylinders, because the 480K cylinders will no longer fit the new valve.

I don't know if your floor pump will work, since I use a scuba bottle. I see no reason why it wouldn't.

The work Larry Carter did on my pistol has held up well so far. I just have a problem with the apparent problems Hammerli's current owners have in supplying spares for their arms.

Regards,
Don