Both eyes open?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
jacques b gros

Both eyes open?

Post by jacques b gros »

Experimented shooting with open eyes, and found that the group shrank.

Found 2 main problems: donut shooting: plenty of nines and, worst, the concentration needed to "force" the dominant eye to dominate is enormous.

Is there some experience on this? Do not want to reinvent the wheel and waste time.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Most everyone shoots with both eyes open using shooting glasses and a blinder for the non-aiming eye. I think you will find this solves your concerns.
Ben
wcameron

open eyes

Post by wcameron »

Get an opaque cover for your weak eye (Champions Choice). I use a pair of Knobloch shooting glasses with an adjustable iris on my dominate eye and the opaque cover for the weak eye. Works fine!
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

Sorry, but I was not clear: I do shoot with both eyes open, with correction glasses and a translucent cover on the left eye.

I meant shooting without the cover.
Chris

Post by Chris »

I just recently started to shoot without my trusty blinder over my non-aiming eye.

What I did to start out was to just shot at the back of a target. The large white area allowed me to focus on just the front sight. I am still working to try and just see a single front sight. You will see 2 targets and 2 rear sights. the rear sights may look like one with 2 notches depending on you arm length and width of your rear sight. I have noticed that I focus a lot more on the front sight and do not allow my eyes to focus on the target when I go back to shooting at an actual bull. I have been spending part of my training time shooting at the back of a target. I am not sure but it could be better for me to spend more time doing this. I know the first 10 shots after I turn the target around I am shooting at the same level as I was before.

There could be a method out there to help make this conversion. I have not seen it. I am just doing what I know best. Make one change and try it for several months and see what happens. I figure after about 3-4 months of shooting 3-4 times a week I will have a good idea if I am going to switch to this long term.

Hope this helps...

Post by Guest »

All Chinese air pistol in Olympics shoot with both eyes open, no blinder over non-dominant eye.

No blinder, no iris, just " el natural".

I think those Olympic champions are doing all right with two eyes, no iris, no blinder.

I followed their lead. In two weeks, I am doing fine.

Go ahead, throw your iris, blinder in the drawer. You don't really need them.

Post by Guest »

All Chinese air pistol in Olympics shoot with both eyes open, no blinder over non-dominant eye.

I think those Olympic champions are doing all right with two eyes, no iris, no blinder.

Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:All Chinese air pistol in Olympics shoot with both eyes open, no blinder over non-dominant eye.

But they might be (very) nearsighted...

Spencer
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Spencer wrote: But they might be (very) nearsighted...

Spencer
That is a remote possibility, but extremely unlikely.

I would however contest that just because one nation chooses to shoot that way, doen't make it the best way. Sure their top shooters shoot very well, but who's to say if they wouldn't shoot even better with a blinder (??)

Rob.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

It was a bit tongue in cheek,
but there are a LOT of very myopic Chinese!
After all these years I still find it odd to see people take their glasses off to look at something close - but then the 'relaxed' focus for my eyes is somewhere the other side of the universe.

Spencer
deadeyedick

Post by deadeyedick »

Could that be considered an unfair advantage ? pls. insert smile here
Last edited by deadeyedick on Sat Oct 18, 2008 4:13 am, edited 3 times in total.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

Spencer wrote:It was a bit tongue in cheek,
but there are a LOT of very myopic Chinese!

Spencer
Indeed. I also noticed that there is a higher percentage of people with myopia in China than in the US, at least judging from the people I know in both countries. But that doesn't prevent some of the myopic Chinese from becoming excellent shooters. Xu Haifeng, who won the first Olympic gold for China (1984, Free Pistol), is myopic. Wang Yifu, one of the best Chinese shooters of all time, is very near-sighted. If Xu and Wang can get Olympic gold medals despite their myopia, I suppose it is not hopeless for people with not so good eye sight like me.

Here is something off-topic. When I was searching for Chinese shooters with myopia online, I came across this interesting article (the English translation is choppy, but I think it gets the idea across).
Chinese Article wrote:...
A reporter asked about the results of a big surprise: Each team shot an average of 10 people (??!!!, it should be 'For every 10 shooters in the shooting team'), there are a couple of myopia.
Give one small example of the right foot stack In the left foot, Ping Shen(stretch out horizontall) hands, eyes closed, (normal)people could only persist in a few seconds to Jishi Miao (tens of seconds), but the shooting athletes to adhere to a few minutes or even ten minutes. Followed by an interview with reporters in Shanghai shooting team, a coach, she told reporters in the selection of two athletes when conditions that he will not simply because it is one of myopia on the choice of another.
This coincides with something else I heard about how potential shooters are selected among Chinese children: balance is a very important aspect. The coach would ask the children who wants to become shooters to close their eyes and hold a book up in the midair with stretched arm for a period of time; the children who can hold the book the stillest usually get selected.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Myopia (in itself) is not a disadvantage for pistol shooting - the rest of us have to get a corrective lens to bring the relaxed focal length back to the front sight.

Spencer

Post by Guest »

What does myopia and wearing +plus lens have to do with shooting with two eyes open and no blinder?

As long as I have been shooting, they are unrelated.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

Anonymous wrote:...myopia and wearing +plus lens
???

Not for the seriously myopic shooters I know - a minus lens is more likely

Spencer
bryan

Post by bryan »

What does myopia and wearing +plus lens have to do with shooting with two eyes open and no blinder?

As long as I have been shooting, they are unrelated.
maybe if the myopia is severe enough, the blinder may not be transparent, causing issues. that is it may be the most focused object?

in contrast, being hyperopia may make the target the most focused object, requiring a blind to focus properly with the shooting eye.

studies show nearly quarter of americans over 40 have myopia, so many may be wearing the wrong diopters??

but that same study claims myopia makes you smarter?

So its not the myopia winning medals, they are smarter.
spacepilot

Post by spacepilot »

bryan wrote:
studies show nearly quarter of americans over 40 have myopia, so many may be wearing the wrong diopters??

but that same study claims myopia makes you smarter?

So its not the myopia winning medals, they are smarter.
Interesting. If this myopia-smarts ("book smarts" I assume) correlation is true, I wonder if there's a higher percentage of skilled shooters (let's say capable of earning NRA Master classification at their current level) among specific demographic groups of shooters (say, all shooters above 40) than the percentage of myopic people among the same group of the general public.