What's the difference Steyr LP10 and Anschutz LP?

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
LukeP

Post by LukeP »

Correct association of image to steyr version.
The different trigger blade is only aesthetically difference: trigger assembly like spring, sear, and geometry are the same identically.
Latest one have the ball bearing.

My new lp10 was delivered with ball bearing and last tipe of trigger blade.
You can change the trigger blade from whatever version you want.
I prefer the lp1 style.
jipe

Post by jipe »

To my knowledge, the LP10 was never equiped with the trigger blade of the LP1. I had one early LP10 (january 2000) and it was factory equiped with the black trigger blade. From the beginning the LP10 had a trigger blade adjustable in height and that can be rotated what the LP1 trigger doesn't allow.

But the LP1 trigger blade can be mounted on an LP10.

The LP10 of the first picture seems to me a customized pistol: the mention "STEYR AIR" suggest an early LP10. But such a pistol was not equipped with a cylinder with built-in manometer. At that time, the LP10 had cylinders without manometers. When the LP10 was equipped with a cylinder with built-in manometer, the mention "STEYR AIR" wasn't present anymore on the pistols. But like for the trigger bl;ade, the new cylinders with built-in manometers, can be mounted on any LP10 and also on an LP1.

The grip is also not the factory one, it is a Rink grip.

So I think that the owner of this pistol mounted an LP1 trigger blade himself. As LukeP says, some prefer the LP1 trigger blade.
MDK

Post by MDK »

jipe wrote:So I think that the owner of this pistol mounted an LP1 trigger blade himself.
jipe is correct. This picture is in a review and the owner put a LP1 trigger blade and the Rink grip.
This is the link http://www.btinternet.com/~cliverkay/LP10/LP10.htm
voxano

truggers on LP10 and LP-@

Post by voxano »

thanks. ok. i guess LP1 trigger blade fits on LP10, but that's not standard.
so, it looks like, there are only two types of standard trigger blades found on styer lp10 and one of them is the same as the one on a standard anschutz lp-@, correct?

but assuming no modification or swapping of trigger blades was done, is it possible to tell just by the look of the blade if the trigger is the latest ball-bearing one or not?

1. anschutz blade found on newer steyrs (not a ball-bearing trigger?):
http://www.z-shops.eu/images/STEYR%20LP ... gndkfj.jpg
http://www.z-shops.eu/images/STEYR%20LP ... kghkfr.jpg

2. older steyr blade (what default trigger?):
http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/content ... 0_gold.jpg
http://www.steyr-sportwaffen.at/content ... silber.jpg
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e ... r_lp10.jpg
or does this second blade by default come on the latest ball-bearing trigger?
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

It would have the silver adjustable trigger shoe which is the newest. The bearing is visible from the outside.

All the photo's on the Steyr website are before the new ball bearing trigger.

You can see it in the photo on this thread.

http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php ... ng+trigger
voxano

trigger options for LP10 and LP-@

Post by voxano »

thanks. so the bearing is actually visible and there is a larger hole in the frame,
and the blade and shoe have nothing to do with it.

a related question then: is the regular Anschutz LP-@ trigger any different from the older Steyr LP10 trigger, aside from the blade design and the shoe?
jipe

Re: trigger options for LP10 and LP-@

Post by jipe »

voxano wrote:thanks. so the bearing is actually visible and there is a larger hole in the frame,
and the blade and shoe have nothing to do with it.
Correct. Below a picture of a ball bearing trigger. This ball bearing was adapted by Steyr on an existing LP10:
It is pretty well done, you cannot imagine that it is a retrofit.

The first LP10 with ball bearing appeared in shops in May 2007 (in Germany).
voxano wrote:a related question then: is the regular Anschutz LP-@ trigger any different from the older Steyr LP10 trigger, aside from the blade design and the shoe?
The complete frame is the same including the trigger mechanism. The differences are for the barrel, compensator and front sight.

Additional weigths are different since the barrel has no mantel to mount them on => they are mounted on a rod under the cylinder.

LP@ cylinders are made by "Steyr Sportwaffen" as it is written on it but have a better built-in manometer.

The shape of the grip is different: it is as good as on the LP10 but depending on individual hands, some may prefer the LP10 grip, some others the LP@ grip.
voxano

Triggers, trigger blades and trigger shoes for LP10 and LP-@

Post by voxano »

all clear. thanks!
voxano

What are the grip differences?

Post by voxano »

It's clear that if a grip fits LP-@ it will also fit LP-10, and vice versa. But a few people mentioned that the "standard" Morini grips which ship with LP-@ and LP-10 are different. Did somebody have a chance to compare these two "standard" grips? If yes, can you please describe the differenses? Can one tell the difference visually? Why do you prefer one and not the other? Thanks.
jipe

Re: What are the grip differences?

Post by jipe »

voxano wrote:It's clear that if a grip fits LP-@ it will also fit LP-10, and vice versa. But a few people mentioned that the "standard" Morini grips which ship with LP-@ and LP-10 are different. Did somebody have a chance to compare these two "standard" grips? If yes, can you please describe the differenses? Can one tell the difference visually? Why do you prefer one and not the other? Thanks.
Ny wife and myhself own both an LP@ light and an LP10.

As said the grips are different. There are some cosmetic differences (the Steyr has the Steyr label on it, the back of the Anschutz is flat while the Steyr is carved... look on the web sites of Steyr and Anschutz) but the important difference is that the shape is different and this cannot be described with words.

Both are excellent grips. None is better in general. As with all grips, the important thing is that it must fit YOUR hand and one of the two will probably better fit for you but this is something you can only test/check yourself.

For your information, neither my wife nor myself use the original grip, we both have a Rink grip because we both shoot right hand but use the left eye => we both use a 7 degre Rink grip, something available only from Rink.
voxano

Re: What are the grip differences?

Post by voxano »

Thanks for the input !
jipe wrote: ... the important thing is that it must fit YOUR hand and one of the two will probably better fit for you but this is something you can only test/check yourself...
Of course, I understand that. Did anybody else have a chance to compare these two grips? If yes, can you please try to describe the differenses and give your personal opinion why do you prefer one grip and not the other? Thanks.
Last edited by voxano on Tue Jul 22, 2008 6:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacques b gros

Post by jacques b gros »

All these top line pistols are very precise, the main difference is a question of opinion.

I would not buy an electronict trigger, they end up, after a long time, having problems (specially if you keep them a long time. My FP 152 has problems, my friend's 150s (serial numbers in the first 000) never had any problem.

The real difference is in the grip wraper (also called hand) and whatever is behind the wrist line.

Before buying my FWB P44 I tried the LP@, P34, Morini, LP1 and 10. Ruled out Morini electronic.

All of them surprised me shooting very thight groups even in my lousy physical condition and many years out of shooting. Bought the P44 because it was, at the time, the only one available somewhere the vendor would take a Brazilian c.card and shippment would be in 2 days.

Every shot I rate good is an X, even with the large grip sent with the pistol by mistake. On the other hand, every shot I call lousy is very lousy...

Buy from a good vendor, with decent after sales service. If you try to talk to the factories, youl find that german gun makers do not speak english. It seems the in FWB a mr. Knebl (possibly misspelled) speaks English. Called 3 or 4 times, he was never available. Hammerli was nice 33 years ago, nowadays who knows?

Whichever you by, you'll enjoy it. Good shooting
DaveS

Post by DaveS »

Since my last post in 2005 on this topic, I wanted to comment on the LP@ since then. I bought one of the first LP@ when they were selling well below the LP10. One of the first things that I noticed was the thicker diameter of the barrel and the same as the former M10/SAM pistols. I bought one of the compensators from the SAM and exchanged it with the radial ported compensator. There was a difference. I didn't like the front sight of the Anschutz either. The front sight from the Steyer LP10 works on either. The barrel on mine was blued and not ported. I was able to get a ported one, but only in nickel. After installing it, I really didn't feel any difference between the ported and non ported barrel. The big difference was in the vertical venting compensator used on the M10/SAM.

I haven't handled the grip of the LP10, so I can't comment on it. I already had a custom Karl Nill grip left over from my old LP-1 that I thought was vastly superior then the stock grip. Nill graciously modified the grip to work with the LP@ which felt much better then the stock Morini grip. The combination was wonderful.

I wasn't too impressed with the adjustable trigger blade and tried one left over from my FWB's, but ended up settling with the fixed blade from the LP-1. For some reason it's the blade I've returned to twice. I tried the FWB blade on the LP1 years ago and also preferred the fixed blade back then.

I'm no longer able to shoot due to injuries from an auto accident, so I haven't kept up with what's happened with the LP@/LP10 since. I'm still befuddled why Anschutz would have let themselves be relegated to a place behind Steyr over something as silly as a compensator and perhaps not including the porting in the first place. Despite Anshutz owning both, I would have expected German pride to prevail and made both equal in function and performance. From day one, the marketing of this pistol reeked with an inferiority complex. Considering the minor differences, inital sales of the LP@ started in the $800 USD range when the LP10 was selling around $1300. Even the selection of the name wasn't appropriate. One would have thought that Anshutz had learned some valuable lessons from the drawn out debacle of the M10. It's always been a foregone conclusion that when you bought Anshutz, you were buying the best available bar none. Unless there was an internal reason not to eclipse the LP10, Marketing dropped the ball.
fstrnr

LP@ Discontinued?

Post by fstrnr »

Has the LP@ really been discontinued? If so, does anyone know why? Seems like the same gun as LP10 but cheaper. Why wouldn't anschutz corner the market at both price ranges? Any thoughts?
jipe

Re: LP@ Discontinued?

Post by jipe »

fstrnr wrote:Has the LP@ really been discontinued? If so, does anyone know why? Seems like the same gun as LP10 but cheaper. Why wouldn't anschutz corner the market at both price ranges? Any thoughts?
Yes, all LP@ models are discontinued.

The two guns are indentical excepted for the barrel and compensator + the way additional weigts are added.

The reason why they discontinued it is I think pure commercial reasons: Steyr has an enormous reputation for 10m pistols, theyr really dominates the market. The only real competitor is Morini. Anschutz brand is known for rifles, not pistols. Since now Anschutz has a majority share of Steyr, they decided to focus each brand on the products for which it is highly recognized.

This is a pity for the LP@ light that has no Steyr equivalent. It would be very easy for Steyr to make one: take the barrel of the LP2 short and mount it on the LP10 frame (what was already done for the pistol used often by Jen Rie).

About the price, I do not know the current situation in the US, but in Europe both pistols are at more or less the same list price, the street price of the LP@ is even slightly higher than the one of the LP10 since dealers jave volume discounts on the LP10 that they do not have for the LP@.
Tycho

Post by Tycho »

There is at least one custom kit coming out for the LP10, which completely changes the balance and the comp. I've seen the prototype, and I think it's going into production shortly. So if you like the rest of the LP10, watch out for that. Can't say yet under which name they are bringing it out, though.

Post by Guest »

What actually is involved in updating the triggers on the LP10/LP@ frames to the ball bearing mechanism? Last I checked, Anschutz recommended sending it back to the factory or bring it to an event where the field techs could update the trigger. Can this now be done by authorized repair stations?

Are the differences meritable?
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Anonymous wrote:Can this now be done by authorized repair stations?
It can certainly be done by the one in the UK.