Shooting jackets?! Where can I get one????????

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Bullseeker

Post by Bullseeker »

I have recently joined an air rifle club and am in the process of buying my own rifle etc. and will be shooting on the 10 metre range with hopefully a Walther LG300XT Alutec Protouch.

I am having trouble tracking down a supplier of shooting jackets in my area (Derbyshire), it seems the only places I could go are at Bisley or Edinkillie.

Can anyone tell me where in my area, or a bit closer than the aforementioned I could go to try some jackets before purchasing one?

Something like the Gehmann or kurt Thune would be ideal but any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time/help.
squiggly007

Post by squiggly007 »

The only way to get a good coat is to order it online as with most things in this sport. The best shooting supply store in the country is Champion's Choice which i would highly recommend. I think if you ask them they will ask you a few questions and try to guess what size. Once you get the jacket bring it to your coach and have him gauge it for legality. If the first one does not fit correctly then you will have to send it back for a different size. I wouldn't recommend Kurt Thune yet since you just started. Get something like Gehmann, or if you want to go to a different supplier, Champion Shooters Supply makes a line of clothing that is just as good as Gehmann for begging shooters. Good luck!
RobStubbs

Re: Shooting jackets?! Where can I get one????????

Post by RobStubbs »

Bullseeker wrote:I have recently joined an air rifle club and am in the process of buying my own rifle etc. and will be shooting on the 10 metre range with hopefully a Walther LG300XT Alutec Protouch.

I am having trouble tracking down a supplier of shooting jackets in my area (Derbyshire), it seems the only places I could go are at Bisley or Edinkillie.

Can anyone tell me where in my area, or a bit closer than the aforementioned I could go to try some jackets before purchasing one?

Something like the Gehmann or kurt Thune would be ideal but any other suggestions/recommendations would be appreciated.

Well for you one of those two should be OK. You might be able to find someone at Aldersley that can supply them (they're NSRA run) - and more importantly someone who can measure you up for the jacket properly. I'm sure you can buy them more local to you, but it's no good if it's a poor fit.

Rob.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Try City Air Weapons in Solihull, speak to Steve Parack.

Peeps
robf

Re: Shooting jackets?! Where can I get one????????

Post by robf »

Bullseeker wrote:I have recently joined an air rifle club and am in the process of buying my own rifle etc. and will be shooting on the 10 metre range with hopefully a Walther LG300XT Alutec Protouch.

I wouldnt try anything but going somewhere with a range of jackets to try.
Even between two kurt thunes I noticed differences in fit and feel preferences. I managed to get mine end of season at the NSRA shop... they had quite a range of sizes and models.

Even better if you can get an instructor to go with you to the shop...
robf

Post by robf »

intershoot.co.uk also does clothing mail order.
Bullseeker

Post by Bullseeker »

Dear robf,
Thank you for taking the time to reply.
I went down to City Air Weapons yesterday in Solihull to try some Anschutz jackets on and although I managed to find one to fit quite well, it was a little uncomfortable here and there and particularly when bending my arms at the elbow (inside). I tried a leather one on today at my rifle club and was quite impressed by the feel of that one. It was canvas lined with an all leather outer shell made by Andrew Tucker. I feel I would be happy if I could find something similar, could you suggest anything?
Regards,
Bullseeker
robf

Post by robf »

I've only been doing 10m for a few years, and only have had 2 jackets, my experience probably pales compared to others here....but...anyway.

My first was a Gehmann leather and canvas. I tried a slightly cheaper jacket, but the neck was uncomfortable in prone (which was the primary purpose before taking up 10m). That lasted well, but did start to soften, but still gave good support until i wore it for field shooting.

I now have a Kurt Thune Xpert, which is all canvas. It took me a while to get used to it... it's stiffer, and less forgiving. I've taken advice and bought some underclothes, which really helped with niggles in the fit. I had a similar problem with the inside elbow. It was cured by underclothes that were thinner in the arms than on the body.

That might be something to think about, what your wearing underneath should ideally be constant, and not bulky.

I think i'd advise comfort and fit as to look at mainly...your going to be spending time in it. Also take the gun along, so you can see how it really feels. If it feels good go with it. The first jacket is always a big step up...i think as long as it's comfortable then you'll get the benefit. No point in buying something that you won't want to use. Try different jackets, or undergarments...but by happy or it will bug you :D
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Having too much leather in your jacket especially for the standing position can compromise the support you need in that position. For prone leather is fine.

Edinkillie Sports Services do an on line measuring service, check their web site. This is for the Monard clothing. Check this out.
I had my Monard jacket made to measure by Edinkillie and it is a super fit. I had to wear my usual shooting under clothes first before being measured.
Failing that, come down to the NSRA shop at Bisley where they have a large range of Kurt Thune, Gehmann and Akah.
Its worth bearing in mind that no matter how perfect a fit the canvas jacket is, it's never going to be as 'comfortable' as leather. The support you get and how the rifle locks in to your shoulder far out ways any discomfort.

Peepsight

Post by Guest »

Thank you for your replies robf and peepsight,
I found the advice and information provided regarding your own experience very useful.
The wearing of correct/comfortable under garments is going to be an important factor in helping to eliminate the discomfort caused by the flexing of the canvas as is I feel, the fitting of the jacket itself as you both suggest.

I can't help thinking that the other question I've posted regarding the possibilities of wearing a motorcycle jacket in place of a shooting jacket, would be something I would be willing to try at least, if it were legal to do so.
I will try to contact the ISSF to pose that very question, then at least I will know one way or the other. My guess is that they will refer me to the rules and as long as the cut/shape/size/thickness etc., of the jacket is complied with, it should be alright to use?

Thanks again everyone.

Regards,
Bullseeker
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

As Robb suggested, try putting a M/C jacket through equipment control just to see what transpires. I would love to see their reactions.

Although the 10m air rifle discipline is normally run under ISSF rules some of the more minor 10m opens seem to only apply the rules loosely, because if you applied them to the letter, it would put off shooters entering and i suspect a few would not get through the first stage of control. Under NSRA rules i cannot see it being a problem.

Don't P---S about get a proper jacket.

Peeps
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

I had mine (Monard Standard) from Edinkillie. Bisley is a bit of a trek, but the guy who runs Edinkillie - Don McIntosh - is a GB coach, and is regularly all over the place - Scotland, Bisley, Wigan - get in touch. If they're doing 50m indoor training at Wigan, he'd probably be quite happy for you to rock up and he'll measure you up. Alternatively you can self-measure, but I got Mac to measure me up at Bisley since he knows the products and knows what he's doing.
It's a great jacket btw. Highly recommended.
peepsight

Post by peepsight »

Hemmers is right, they are great jackets especially made to measure and even with this they are not as expensive as some of the other makes.
Just ensure that you are wearing your usual under clothes for shooting when being measured.

Peepsight