You tube to ban shooting footage in the UK

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Welsh-shooter

You tube to ban shooting footage in the UK

Post by Welsh-shooter »

I wonder where "Big Brother" will draw the line as to what is acceptable shooting footage?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7621013.stm

most likely we will end up with a similar situation to Ebay in the UK, where everything related to shooting (even airgun and accessories) is completely banned.

It really does annoy me when everyone moans about how US corporations bend to censorship in China - yet in the UK they just bend over and say thank you very much...
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

It actually says about banning footage of weapons being used to intimidate people - I think that is perfectly fine. The home secretary has put her own spin on it - as expected from a politician. You-tube have generally been pretty good though, so I have no reason think this will be any different.

Rob.
Steve Swartz

Post by Steve Swartz »

. . . which automatically prohibits any video showing people *defending* themselves with firearms as well . . .

"Too Clever By Half!"
David Levene

Re: You tube to ban shooting footage in the UK

Post by David Levene »

Welsh-shooter wrote:most likely we will end up with a similar situation to Ebay in the UK, where everything related to shooting (even airgun and accessories) is completely banned.
I am not sure where you got that idea from, it certainly isn't supported by the evidence.

They may not allow airguns to be traded but, given the legislation regarding distance selling, that isn't a total surprise.
Welsh-shooter

Post by Welsh-shooter »

FYI - the sale of anything shooting related on Ebay was banned many years before the ban on mail order sales. If fact the ban on mail order only relates to the trade and not private individuals.

I agree that on the face of it this sounds innocent enough and probably a good idea - the problem is how on earth are they going to judge what is appropriate and most difficult is the statement that this is intended to prevent the "glamorising of guns".

There is no way that YouTube will be able to police an almost impossible legal definition - their only practical solution will be to ban "all" shooting related material.

As usual this statement is a classis example of Home Office double speak, pretending to innocently protect the public, whilst at the same time stripping them of another liberty through the back door.

This is potentiallly another nail in the coffin for shooting sports in the UK. It is becoming almost impossible for the sport to portray a positive and factual image to the general public, who instead have to rely only upon the sensationalised reporting of the media.

The general public are being slowly brainwashed into fearing all types of guns and shooting - a couple of years ago near me, a man was reported for carrying an unloaded air rifle in a rifle case along a public street (perfectly legal and innocent activity) a member of the public phoned the police to report a man with a gun and the poor guy ended up dragged to the floor by armed police and hauled of to the police station for several hours - the most shocking part of this was the press, who printed a statement that the man should not have been so stupid as to endanger his life by provoking the police in this way... !
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

Welsh-shooter wrote:FYI - the sale of anything shooting related on Ebay was banned many years before the ban on mail order sales.
Can I respectfully suggest that you read their conditions. You might also try searching on "rifle" or "pistol" or many other shooting related terms. Before you finish entering the search word, ebay has suggested what you might be looking for, including shooting items.

I accept that there is quite a list of items they won't allow (I would still suggest that they might be protecting themselves from our legislation) but your statement that they have banned "everything related to shooting" is just totally wrong.
bruce

Re: You tube to ban shooting footage in the UK

Post by bruce »

Welsh-shooter wrote:I wonder where "Big Brother" will draw the line as to what is acceptable shooting footage?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7621013.stm

most likely we will end up with a similar situation to Ebay in the UK, where everything related to shooting (even airgun and accessories) is completely banned.

It really does annoy me when everyone moans about how US corporations bend to censorship in China - yet in the UK they just bend over and say thank you very much...
not true about ebay.co.uk, as a simple search for "anschutz" shows.

link
Welsh-shooter

Post by Welsh-shooter »

OK - I will accept that not "everything shooting related" is banned on Ebay, that is a very broad statement - many ancillary items are available, but primary shooting equipment are not, would be more accurate. Many others such as Freeads have even more stringent prohibitions.

This was not ment to be a discussion about Ebay, but rather how an apparently innocent requirement on YouTube has the potential to push the perception of shooting shooting sports further into the margins of society.

I hope all Ebay fans are happy now?
bruce

Post by bruce »

if you stop making shit up, then we won't need to correct your facts.
Welsh-shooter

Post by Welsh-shooter »

Thank you for such a polite observation - does this once again prove that shooters in the UK are more interested in finding things to squabble over rather than defending their sport?

Post by Guest »

Welsh-shooter wrote:Thank you for such a polite observation - does this once again prove that shooters in the UK are more interested in finding things to squabble over rather than defending their sport?
Arguements based on facts are so much more useful as a defence than easily refuteable ones based on lies.
Welsh-shooter

Post by Welsh-shooter »

Sadly it appears individuals are more interested in hurling personal abuse and hijacking this thread into some pointless argument about the finer details of what can or cannot be sold on Ebay in the UK - I have accepted that I could have worded this better, but the point was to illustrate that we have much less freedom than our counterparts in the US and that these restrictions are often accepted with little regard to the civil liberties of shooters in the UK.

The original point I was making, is in relation to new controls on shooting footage on YouTube in the UK and how apparently innocent restrictions have the potential to further restrict the voice of shooting sports in communicating to the general public.
Tom Amlie

Post by Tom Amlie »

If they are going to ban anything that "glamorising of guns" then anything that portrays shooting in a positive light will (WILL) be sold as "glamorising" guns.

Olympic FP competition? Gee, how "glamorous". Oops, sorry, you're out.
Richard H

Post by Richard H »

They are going to ban shooting on You-tube, then when are they going to ban full production movies that contain shooting and gun violence.
Fred

Post by Fred »

Richard makes a good point. NOTHING glamorizes violence involving firearms more than Hollywood movies and TV shows. And the most ironic and galling thing for those of us who live in California is that the wise legislators, who keep passing more and more ridiculously onerous restrictions on us ordinary gun owners, have specifically exempted Hollywood productions from the very same restrictions!

And while our schools have a "zero tolerance" policy for anything related to guns, our instructional materials (movies and TV) maximize the glamor of mayhem. What hypocrisy!

FredB
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

Welsh-shooter wrote:I agree that on the face of it this sounds innocent enough and probably a good idea - the problem is how on earth are they going to judge what is appropriate and most difficult is the statement that this is intended to prevent the "glamorising of guns".<snip>
May I respectfully suggest you read the article again. You-tube said nothing about glamorising guns, their reason was to stop videos where guns were used to "intimidate people". The "glamorising guns" comment was from the home secretary, a typical political statement that doesn't follow the actual reasons given.

Rob.
David Levene

Post by David Levene »

RobStubbs wrote:May I respectfully suggest you read the article again. You-tube said nothing about glamorising guns, their reason was to stop videos where guns were used to "intimidate people". The "glamorising guns" comment was from the home secretary, a typical political statement that doesn't follow the actual reasons given.
Thank you Rob. For a while I was thinking that I had lost the ability to understand what I was reading.

I would go further and point out that YouTube have not singled out guns; they are stopping videos showing any "weapons" being used to intimidate people. I have absolutely no problem with that.

As for the Home Secretary using it to make a political point, well somebody's got to give her ideas as she certainly doesn't seem to have any of her own.
edster99

what no idea ???

Post by edster99 »

what David said! 100%
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Welsh-shooter,
The general public are being slowly brainwashed into fearing all types of guns and shooting - a couple of years ago near me, a man was reported for carrying an unloaded air rifle in a rifle case along a public street (perfectly legal and innocent activity) a member of the public phoned the police to report a man with a gun and the poor guy ended up dragged to the floor by armed police and hauled of to the police station for several hours - the most shocking part of this was the press, who printed a statement that the man should not have been so stupid as to endanger his life by provoking the police in this way... !
Could you please provide a link or other refernce to the press reports of this incident?

Rutty
Rutty

Post by Rutty »

Welsh-shooter,
Could you please provide a link or other reference to the press reports of this incident?

Rutty