Optic scope for 300m?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

tsokasn

Optic scope for 300m?

Post by tsokasn »

Hello everyone(I am back again!)
I've been given an Anschutz 1907 and a Steyr SPG-CISM(300m)
Can you suggest me an optic scope(zoom/magnifying dimensions)espesially for 300m?I've seen a 20-60 x 60 in a good price but I don't know if it is enough for that distance.
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

300m is pretty far for comfortably resolving bullet holes in the black. Going much beyond 60x will require extremely high quality (read "expensive") and large optics to be truly better at resolving bullet holes. Oftentimes high magnification will make things look bigger/closer but the resolving power won't be there to make bullet holes any more visible. Mirage is also a major consideration at high magnification, as any gain in resolving power by a higher magnification scope can be completely supplanted by mirage.

That said, any of the Kowa lines will a 20-60x eyepiece is about as good as you can get. It will also be many many hundreds of dollars for that setup. Konus makes a very decent scope, probably 80-85% of what the Kowas do, for under $200. If I were to buy a scope today, it would be a Konus.

The easiest way I've found to get an accurate reading of where my shots in the black are going is with some of the Shoot-n-c targets. Get one that is the equivalent size of the black area of your target and slap it in the middle. Then most any scope in the 20-60x range will be able to tell you where your bullets are hitting.
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

TargetTerror,thank you very much for your answer,espesially for the Shoot-n-c target tip!!!
pdeal

Post by pdeal »

You should inquire someplace where they shoot highpower a lot. As far as i know generally a zoom eyepiece is not a good thing. Once you get past a certain power for a given objective size you are not really able to resolve more. Generally it seems to me people use a Kowa scope with a 27x wide angle eye piece. Maybe check on www.6mmbr.com

Another idea, at our local club they had a hard time seeing bullet holes in the black often. The guy who runs the hp matches was at a club where they put something like a real estate sign or maybe like what they use for political signs behind the target. The plastic material is just plain white though. This makes the holes "light up better". I think he got some blank sign material and the white plastic from a sign company. I think he sortof angled the white material up some so it was well lit by the sun.
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

pdeal wrote:Another idea, at our local club they had a hard time seeing bullet holes in the black often. The guy who runs the hp matches was at a club where they put something like a real estate sign or maybe like what they use for political signs behind the target. The plastic material is just plain white though. This makes the holes "light up better". I think he got some blank sign material and the white plastic from a sign company. I think he sortof angled the white material up some so it was well lit by the sun.
I do something similar to that when I shoot 50m pistol. My backstop is about 4 feet behind my target and I put up a white 1/4" plywood board on it and then stapled the continuous run computer paper over that when a hole developed. The bullets dropped enough and the scope was to the side enough so white showed through the target.
Ben
tsokasn

Post by tsokasn »

My friends,thank you again!
TargetTerror

Post by TargetTerror »

My pleasure.