Need advice on Rapid Fire or Standard!

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
misterio2008

Need advice on Rapid Fire or Standard!

Post by misterio2008 »

Hi All!
I want to buy one of a top-end 22lr pistols and I'm leaning towards Pardini SP (mechanical trigger).
Here's the thing: I'm buying the pistol just for target shooting with no specific discipline in mind. Perhaps I'd get into some local competitions later on. And as far as I understand all target pistol (25m official) disciplines have a rapid fire shoots portion.

So, should I buy a standard Pardini SP or go for a RF one? Does RF pistol have a significant advantage in cycling time than a standard one? Is that the only advantage of RF pistol? What is the price difference between the two?

In your response, please, let us know if you're speaking from own experience or somebody else's.
I'd appreciate all and any advice!
GOVTMODEL

Post by GOVTMODEL »

Are you in the US?
misterio2008

Post by misterio2008 »

No I'm not. But my questions are not country-specific.
Why did you ask?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

In my opinion there's no benefit in buying a RF version unless you are specifically doing olympic rapid fire. Most other 'rapid' stages are not so demanding anyway - i.e. not the 4 seconds to shoot 5 separate targets. If I was you I'd try both guns and see which you prefer. You can always adjust the 'standard' pardini by adjusting the weights if for example you want a slightly different balance.

AFAIK the RF version is mainly to help reduce recoil such that a quick
transition across the targets is slightly easier in ORF.

Rob.

FYI I own the standard pardini with electronic trigger
misterio2008

Post by misterio2008 »

The problem is I can't shoot either as I don't know anyone who owns ANY Pardini. Also, until you mentioned I didn't know exactly the purpose of RF pistol. I can see that for my purpose it would probably be a waste of money.

Thanks Rob!
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

misterio2008 wrote:The problem is I can't shoot either as I don't know anyone who owns ANY Pardini. Also, until you mentioned I didn't know exactly the purpose of RF pistol. I can see that for my purpose it would probably be a waste of money.

Thanks Rob!
I really just meant to hold them both and see how they feel in the hand. You may for example prefer the feel of the RF version, for stability and balance. I've never picked up, or even seen, the RF version personally so I don't know how it feels.

Rob.
misterio2008

Post by misterio2008 »

I see. It's a good idea. If one handles better than the other. I'm curious, what is the price difference between the two? Any ideas?
RobStubbs

Post by RobStubbs »

misterio2008 wrote:I see. It's a good idea. If one handles better than the other. I'm curious, what is the price difference between the two? Any ideas?
No idea I'm afraid, maybe 20-30% more expensive (??). You should be able to find a price list online - look at our hosts for example.

Rob.
Bill Poole

Post by Bill Poole »

the trigger feels different on the electronic trigger version vs the mechanical

one huge advantage for the RFP shooter with the electronic trigger is that you can dry fire FIVE shots

Poole
misterio2008

Post by misterio2008 »

I'm not looking for an electronic trigger pistol AT ALL!
I treat firearms as easy and simple to use tools (generally) and electronics will only complicate the picture not to mention raise the price.
sparky

Post by sparky »

Since they got rid of .22 short, aren't rapid fire and standard pistols under the same rules now? The only possible differences I can think of are whether you set the gun up to have a one-stage trigger vs. 2-stage trigger and whether you set the sights for a six/sub-six or center hold.

What am I missing?
jipe

Post by jipe »

misterio2008 wrote:I'm not looking for an electronic trigger pistol AT ALL!
I treat firearms as easy and simple to use tools (generally) and electronics will only complicate the picture not to mention raise the price.
I also prefer to avoid electronic trigger since it is in fact an electro-mechanical system (you cannot make pure electronic trigger system since you need a mechanical movement to release the firing pin or the hammer) which is always more prone to fail than a pure electronic system.

But for RF, a 5 shot dry fire feature is very useful if not a must have for training and the electronic trigger is the only solution that allow it.
Spencer

Post by Spencer »

jipe wrote:...But for RF, a 5 shot dry fire feature is very useful if not a must have for training and the electronic trigger is the only solution that allow it.
Dash it - and there I was thinking my Walther 5-shot (mechanical) practice trigger worked quite well.

With the change to the rules for RFP trigger weight, it now runs at CF weight and works great for dry-firing the RF Stage of Centre Fire.

Spencer