SSP Pistol Advice Sought

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

Forum rules
If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true
Joe58

SSP Pistol Advice Sought

Post by Joe58 »

Hello ~

I currently shoot an FWB 65 and a IZH 46M on my 10m garage range.

I don't currently compete, but would like to if I can find 10m air pistol matches within a reasonable distance from eastern Nebraska.

My question is, if I desire to stick with the SSP type air pistol, what would be the next logical step up model in the used pistol market? I am favoring staying with a SSP just for the sake of keeping the extra equipment needed to minimum.

A FWB 103 would be fantastic but is out of my current budget. I'm thinking something in the $700-800 neighborhood.

Maybe a FWB 100?

I'm just trying to figure out the next model I could step up to, which leads me to ask if I were to move up to a FWB 100 for instance, am I gaining over what I am shooting now? Or would it be wiser to wait until I can afford a FWB 103?

I currently shoot around a 530/540, sometimes better, on my range here if that helps. I imagine under match conditions though it may drop some.

Thanks for the advice in advance!

Joe
Eurastus

Post by Eurastus »

Joe,

I recently upgraded from an Izzy 46M to an FWB 103, though it is the earlier blue model with the two-piece grips as opposed to the last 103 variant produced, with grey coloring and a one-piece Morini grip.

It was a huge change stepping up from the 46M to the 103. The quality of the pistol is miles higher than what I was used to and I feel much more comfortable while shooting the 103. I suffered a very slight down-turn in scores immediately upon switching to the 103 as it took some time to get used to the different (though much better) trigger feel and pointability (again, better with the 103, but still different than the Izzy). The 103 does not weigh as much as the 46M (especially with the cocking lever removed) nor is it as nose-heavy.

Since then, and it's only been about a month or so, my scores have climbed back to what they were while shooting the Izzy and have now surpassed my average with the 46M by a few points. I'm still learning the nuances of the FWB 103. I've not yet beaten my previous all-time high (shot with the 46M), but I expect that'll come soon; I don't often get into that high state of concentration I need to set a personal best. I should add that, like you, I regularly shoot in the 530-540 range with a personal best of 553.

I highly recommend the FWB SSP pistols. They are the best of the SSP breed, no doubt.

Having said that, you ought to be able to pick up a used 103 for just slightly more than your stated budget. I purchased mine about a month ago, and, though nominally used, it had all original packaging, accessories, documentation (including a blank warranty card) and looked to me as if it had never been shot. There was (and still is) not a scratch to be found on the pistol.

I paid a little more than your stated budget, though not very much more.

Note that all FWB SSP airguns (603 rifle and 103 pistol) have been discontinued from the manufacturer in March of this year. No more new production means prices will likely rise a bit for these guns in the short term.

I notice that our host has a used FWB 100 listed for sale right now: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19046. It's right in your price range.

Here's a thread I started while looking for a 103 myself: http://www.targettalk.org/viewtopic.php?t=19027. There's lots of good advice and observations on the 103 by several knowledgeable AP shooters.

Good luck in your search. I'm glad I found the pistol I did, at the time I did, and at a very reasonable price. I hope you have the same good fortune.
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Joe, The FWB mod 100 is also a big step above the IZZY. However, I think you
can buy excellent used ones for $500-$600 . If you are willing to wait, you
should be able to get a used mod 103 for $1000-$1200, they are worth the
wait, this only if you want an SSP AP. I may buy a mod 103 in the future;
but I am very delighted to still shoot my mod 100. I also have a Steyr LP1-C,
which is easier to shoot than the model 100 My son and I have been sharing
these two APs in the local PTOs....but the PTOs have been cancelled for now.
Tony G
visitor

Post by visitor »

Sorry to break up the FWB love fest. Don't ignore a used Pardini K58 - excellent trigger, balance, and the only rear sight that you can adjust without trying to remember "from" or "to."
paw080

Post by paw080 »

Hi Joe, I forgot to mention an extremely important(for me) feature that
the FWB 100-102 and 103 have; and that's an adjustable width rear sight notch.
This means that you dont have to flip the rear sight plate, like the one on the Izzy,
to change the notch width. I think this is really important to adjust your
sight picture for varying light conditions. The only upgrade you may want to
make for your next AP would be a set of Rink Grips...but that can wait awhile.
Oh yes, the FWB 100 series are very easily dry fired and I agree, these posts
do sound like an FWB Love Fest...for SSP AP's I believe them to be a best
choice.
Tony G

Post by Guest »

Keep your eye out for a used FWB 10(X). It's not unusual to find one in your price range - and in my experience, competitive shooters tend to take very good care of their arms.
Joe58

Post by Joe58 »

Thank you all for the great replies...I hadn't considered the Pardini. It seems like a nice model as well as the FWB's.

I will need to start building my gun fund back up again.

Thanks again!

Joe