Portable 50 m target frame?

Moderators: pilkguns, Marcus, m1963, David Levene, Spencer

Jason

Portable 50 m target frame?

Post by Jason »

Does anyone have pictures or building instructions for a portable 50 m target frame?

I'm looking for something that will hold a standard ISSF six-bull target at the proper height and still fit into the back of my Subaru Impreza -- along with all my other equipment -- so something that comes apart would be great.

I've tried Google but came up empty, and I don't have any close-ups of target frames on my hard drive, either. Storing at the range is not an option. Suggestions?

Jason
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Jason, I have one I used for 100 yard SB prone. It is wood with two steel rods hooked to the back so they will slide. I put points on the rods and shoved them in the dirt. I don't have the legs hinged, but it would be easy to do to fold. The rods pull right out. The rods came from a 1960s car trunk torsion hinge system and have a right angle bend that makes a great handle.
I can get pictures for you in a day or two if you are interested.
Ben
Jason

Post by Jason »

That would be great, Ben. I'd like a frame that can stand on a concrete pad as well as dirt/turf -- my local range is a little rough around the edges so it would be nice to have some extra flexibility.

It also needs to be stable enough so that it doesn't waffle in the wind, but I suppose if it's so windy that it's rocking back and forth I just shouldn't be shooting. . . .

Jason
edster99

Post by edster99 »

You might try a look at Ed Hall's site which has a few things you could use / adapt.

http://www.starreloaders.com/edhall/

Worth a try perhaps although I don't imagine you'll be using the turning targets so much :)

regards

Ed
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I'm sorry I took so long, Jason. I had to dig it out and then the pictures were no good and had to dig it out and redo them.
This is the stand in use. I only had a 50 yd. target to hang instead of the 100 yd. target which I made the frame to fit. Keep the legs in from the side so you have room to put on clips to hold the paper. This frame will not work with the multi-bull target because the legs are too wide and close to the bull.

These are the pointed metal rods {from the trunk hinges} I used to push in the ground. Rebar should work. If you want to have it folded, the legs can be cut just below the wooden cross piece and hinged. Then install a slide barrel lock to hold them when in use.
This is a very crude stand that I made in less than 1/2 hour. I needed it real quick to hold the 100 yd. target. It worked fine, so I never fancied it and haven't used it in years. I have a permanent stand out back, now.
I hope this is of use to you, Jason.
Ben
Jason

Post by Jason »

Thanks, Ben, this looks interesting. Unfortunately, between work and Mother Nature I haven't been to the range in over a month, so I'm no farther along.

This may have to wait until spring, as our fall is always windy and gusty and we'll likely have snow on the ground within the month. . . .

Jason
GCSInc

The Ole Mill range Complex

Post by GCSInc »

Try this one for Indoors.

Roy McClain
The Ole Mill Range Complex
Attachments
22 Bullet Trap.pdf
(94.42 KiB) Downloaded 216 times
inventor of BB launcher

Post by inventor of BB launcher »

Hello,

I can tell you how to make a light, easy to take apart, frame.

First, you will need some conduit (2 pieces which can slide together) , a saw that is capable of cutting steel, and a conduit bender (don't know technical name).

1: cut two sections each equal lengths, this will be the legs.
2: cut a piece which is 8 inches longer than desired width.
3: cut two pieces 12in. or 6 in. long pending on type of foot.(If you want permanent cut 2 pieces that are 6in. long, and flatten one end on each. If you want a removable foot, cut 2 pieces 24in. long, and bend in middle. NOTE: THE REMOVABLE FOOT HAS NOT BEEN TESTED.

4: Bend pieces 2, 4 in. from each side.
5: Slide pieces 1, into piece 2.
6: Drive pieces 3 to ground level for permanent foot. For removable foot insert pieces 1 into removable foot, (be sure that 1 bent end is facing behind the target and the other in the opposite direction).
5: insert the stand into the open end of foot.

.................................___
Diagram:................. /......\
...............................|.......|...PERMANENT
...........STAND..........|.......|........FEET.....| |....TOP...___
...............................|.......|....................| |.........../......\
.............................................................\ /

......................................(LARGE DIAMETER).....(LARGE DIAMETER)

...........LEGS:..........(SMALL DIAMETER)