A funny thing happened on the way to the range

A place to discuss non-discipline specific items, such as mental training, ammo needs, and issues regarding ISSF, USAS, and NRA

If you wish to make a donation to this forum's operation , it would be greatly appreciated.
https://www.paypal.com/paypalme/targettalk?yours=true

Moderators: pilkguns, m1963, David Levene, Spencer, Richard H

2650 Plus

A funny thing happened on the way to the range

Post by 2650 Plus »

Or after I got there. please post. Good Shooting Bill Horton
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

Cutest thing I ever saw was a mother skunk and her litter of little ones following behind her across the range as I was shooting smallbore rifle.
Ben
pgfaini

Where's the Eveready Bunny When You Need Him?

Post by pgfaini »

My first year with my Morini 162E, I was at a Jan or Feb PTO at Wolf Creek, and when I turned on the electronic trigger, the battery was dead. I couldn't understand it, I hadn't had the gun that long. Then I remembered, I'd put the guns back in the car when I left the motel for dinner, and didn't return them to the room. The night was particularly cold. Not having a replacement, I removed the battery, ran into the men's room, and ran it under the hot water for a minute. Situation solved, it just cost me some prep time. I remember Gary Anderson, who was the RO, got a laugh out of it. I can also, now that it's over.

I still don't understand it, It was a Varta V74PX, they seem to last forever. I thought alkaline batteries were supposed to be able to take more cold than carbon-zinc.
Paul
2650 Plus

Funny thing

Post by 2650 Plus »

Had a shooting buddy that once told me that he prayed every night that he would beat me the next day. My rejoinder was " While you are praying , I am dry firing, and thats why you dont beat me" Good Shooting Bill Horton
shadow

Post by shadow »

A funny thing happened on the way to a Conventional Outdoor Pistol State Chamionship.

I arrived for the match an hour early like I usually do. I waited. And waited. No other shooters arrived. Did I have the wrong day? No. I was positive of that. I went next door where a group of people were having a large BBQ. They said that there was shooting the day before. Good. I was positive that I was there on the right day/weekend. Now it is 11:00AM and 3 hours after I arrived. Shooters. More shooters! The match started at 12:00 noon. Not 9:00AM like I thought. This was a VERY long day!
BPBrinson

Zapped

Post by BPBrinson »

Great idea for a thread, Bill, wished you would register so you could get PM's. I was calling the sport pistol portion of the JOPC here in Texas. We had lights w/ 120v to 60 watt red and green bulbs and the wire zip tied to the outside and back of the target frames. The control and breaker were at the RO stand. This was the 1st time we had used this system since we had built it. One of the juniors appeared to have shot the bulb out. I went down range to change the bulb and check damage. The bulb holder was ok, so I counted bullet holes, they were all there, but one was a zero about one ft from the bulb and out by the frame. I reached back and ( sorry, it gets fuzzy, what happened next.) Next thing i know I was leand agaist the wall five ft behind me, could not talk, or do anything for several seconds. i spent many yrs in the electrical utility construction and had not been hit that hard except for once (277v). I looked at my hand and there was a couple of small blood droplets and the grass was wet. I guess when I reached around the frame, the strands of wire poked in my hand with the reflex of the jolt, with the tall wet grass, I made a great conductor. I finally was able to get out the words to the scorers "don't touch that one !!!" The bullet had hit the frame and the splatter broke the bulb. It is now standard to kill the power before going down range!

Brooks
Last edited by BPBrinson on Mon Aug 25, 2008 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tleddy

A funny thing...

Post by tleddy »

My funny thing is that I do not see anything with the post.

Where is it???

Tillman
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

When I was training for position rifle shooting at the local indoor range, many times the local bullseye pistol league also trained. They never had a problem with me there; however, I couldn't practice when they were shooting .45s.
The far left point had the lighting wires running down the top of the wall. Yeah, you guessed it. The guy on that point had an accidental discharge and the range went black.
The next time they shot, the culprit was presented a plaque with a section of the wires mounted where the bullet did the deed!
Ben
2650 Plus

Funny things

Post by 2650 Plus »

The coach at All Army was holding a team meeting. He started out with an example of how rumors affected the team. He said "A rumor affects this team like a cue ball shot into a racked set of balls on a pool table. When one hits every ball on the table starts moving in a different direction." Sfc RL Jones [ A magnificent blach shooter that happened to be bald] stood up and said "I guess every body knows which ball I am" The meeting adjourned amid hysterical laughter. Good Shooting Bill Horton
PaulB

Post by PaulB »

A number of years ago I was helping with the BB/Air Gun junior match at Bolling Green. Almost all the air pistol shooters were using FWB2 at this time. It was abut 95 degrees indoors. Guns basically stopped working as the gas over-pressure would not allow the valve to open. Doc Sexton got a bunch of zip lock baggies and some ice from the food vendor and all the shooters ended up resting their guns on the ice bags between shots. Problem solved.
david alaways

Post by david alaways »

At one oclock in the morning my plane landed in Columbus Ohio, the OTs were being held in Columbus Ga. that day.
2650 Plus

Post Subject

Post by 2650 Plus »

The Officer in charge of the air force pistol tean had a dachsun named Endless. James McNally delighted in picking on the little dog. The smart dog learned by James odor which gun box was his and at every opportunity would relieve himself on James gun box.
Hemmers

Post by Hemmers »

There's a range in the UK called Appleton where they shoot the British cards for the International Dewar Postal match. They also hold the Inter-University Championships there. All the first timers get a kick out of seeing all the rabbits on the ranges (rescue rabbits from animal shelters) that quite happily sit there nibbling at the grass whilst shots zing barely a foot overhead (firing point is slightly raised).

I know one uni was enroute to that match in 2005. Halfway there someone realised the box of bolts for the club rifles were two hours drive away back in their range...
Freepistol

Post by Freepistol »

I used to shoot outdoor smallbore prone and position at a great range that had covered firing points but grass firing line. It was great, but was hard to keep the grass growing especially during drought years. If I remember correctly there were about 40 points with the range sloping to the right. With the berms built up and the lay of the land, the firing line itself looked level.
When the firing line was first cemented one of the members, a shooter friend of mine, and I were talking about the work that went into it. The member was a fairly serious guy and told us of the problems bringing in cement trucks, building forms, and matching the slope. I said it looked rather level to me. He said, no there was a difference between the ends and wanted to know what we thought it was. I didn't want to insult the guy with any guess, but my friend spoke right up and said,
"Oh, it looks like three clicks to me!"
hank2222

stop by the police

Post by hank2222 »

comeing home for a informal range pratice and the police stop me for going over the speedlimt by about two miles above the posted speed
when i saw the rifle case in the back of the my car ..he ask if the gun was loaded ..no it not loaded and it a match air rifle and i was on the way home form pratice
after unlocked the two diff case locks and the trigger lock to show him that the air rifle was empty and it was not loaded .ask me for the papers on the air rifle .i told him that i did not have papers for the air rifle and i had for several years now
i finaly ask for his segarnt and i told to wait in the car when the sergant got there i saw him talking to the cop and shakeing his head about something .when the sergant got up to my window and told me to come back to the rear of the car .that when the sergant show the other officer how to unload and load a air rifle and told him that i was a single shot only
typle of air rifle
the sergant tells me to pack it all up and put everything back into the case as need and tell the road cop to write the ticket and leave me alone about the air rifle and other items in the car
i found out later at a match when i was shooting in i saw the sergant and we got to talking about the car stop he told me that the officer had called in a said that i had some typle of stange rifle in a case and did not know how to check to see if loaded or unloaded i have a safety flag in the chamber when it travels in the chamber when it in the case
the sergant siad that the guy was a little scared of the rifle for he had never seen a rifle with that typles of sights on the rifle before
this is way i triple lock all my rifle case out here in ca so when i travel
when i do get stop by the local police i have to go though locks so i least say that i am trying to be safe when traveling in this state